Trailer Trash

Government Shutdown - Not running related (Read 65 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Most of the roads that cross Gettysburg are National Park roads, and they have barriers up blocking them.  People have pushed many out of the way and are using the roads anyway (who's going to ticket them).  DW's sister works for Medicare and her job was labeled non-essential this time around.    My brother and his wife are on a 25th anniversary vacation in Yosemite.  They were trying to do as much as they could yesterday but park is closed today.

Don't get me started about Obamacare.  It's disease care and NOT healthcare.  As a doctor, there are no incentives to educate patients on wellness and/or for patients to take preventative measures for their own health.  If you want medication or need a Hoveround, that's covered, but if I take the time to talk to a patient about quitting smoking or exercising to drop their blood pressure, that's on my time.

Good luck to all those directly impacted.  This too shall pass.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Deltarose

Yep - double Fed household here, too, with 3 kids and a mortgage to pay. Sad

A day or two of furlough really isn't a big deal - we'll catch up on housecleaning, but once you lose a week's pay, it starts to hurt - much longer and we're going to have to look into unemployment....my DH is "essential" - but he's not allowed to work full time - just "emergency" hours here and there to keep contracts going....

Really a raw deal for everyone...

muppy

My mother in law got the boot also , and because she's irresponsible and lives paycheck to paycheck she gonna be in bad shape if this mess isn't over soon .

I think the politicians should be fined $1000.00 a day for not doing their job and fixing this mess that they knew was coming, just like most contractors that miss a deadline. Try putting "principles before personalities"

On a local note, as of now it sounds like "Blues Cruise" 50k at Blue marsh lake us still on for Sunday, however according to the race director the park officials "think" they might be open for 15 days yet, or the permits could always be pulled for the race.

Daydreamer1

I think the politicians should be fined $1000.00 a day for not doing their job and fixing this mess that they knew was coming, just like most contractors that miss a deadline. Try putting "principles before personalities"

On a local note, as of now it sounds like "Blues Cruise" 50k at Blue marsh lake us still on for Sunday, however according to the race director the park officials "think" they might be open for 15 days yet, or the permits could always be pulled for the race.

Have to disagree on the $1000.00 a day fine. That amount means nothing to them and special interest groups would only pay it for them. It needs to be much higher, at least 25000.00 to 50000.00 per day. That way it would hurt and the special interest groups would have a harder time covering up reimbursement payments.

I do agree that they should try putting principals before personalities but again as long as special interests are pulling the strings that will never happen.

I'm kind of concerned about the Blues Cruise. I'm really looking forward to that. It looks like the type of trail I need right now to get in my first ultra.