Trailer Trash

Bear 100 RR: The Anatomy of a DNF (Read 47 times)

Watoni

I don't think my perspective has changed because of prior DNF's. I think my perspective has changed because I have a ton of finishes, including one at the Bear. With a pile of buckles sitting at home, what's the point of continuing on when I really don't feel like it? I don't have anything to prove to anybody regarding any distance or terrain. I don't place a high value on have a matching buckle. I don't love running through storms and mud. Where's my motivation?

If this had been my first 100, I would have finished because my perspective and my motivation would be entirely different. But this race really wasn't a big deal to me. This is hard to explain to people because we all have a unique perspective on 100 mile races.

I love running mountain races but I'm not as competitive. It's nice to finish up front sometimes. But to answer your question, I like them all equally.

Sounds totally reasonable, well, for an ultra runner that is Smile

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Kelly- thanks for the report and the laughs!  While no one certainly goes in planning to DNF, every race has DNF's (some more than others) and is just a fact of ultra running.  Personally when it comes to injuries, I'm going to err on the cautious side-douche nozzle or not  Big grin

Mike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √