Trailer Trash

can I ask a mtn bike question? pretty please :) (Read 54 times)

Watoni

Now this is awkward as Watoni is a bike guru but my advice is not to get a cross bike or any kind of hybrid. Get a decent mountain bike and that little commute will be a snap and once you gain ability and confidence on the trails you will be thrilled.

No worries! I used to be a bike guru before electric shifting, 11-speed clusters, etc.

A cross bike, though, is no &^%$#$%% hybrid. Cyclocross riders kick ass. Watch karate kid Bart Wellens just over a minute in on the video linked below Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=salfFYuinwY

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

one other question if I may Smile  it appears the bike comes w/ no pedals- there is a plethora of pedal options out there- I'm not sure if I want clip ins or not????  If I go clip in it must be pedal that can also be used w/o speciality shoes (like when I'm going to and fro work)-is there such a beast?  Should I just get aggressive flat pedals and forego cleats/clips all together?  I'm a little nervous about being locked into the pedal (maybe needlessly so)

danke once again

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

Trying to start more arguments  or what???  

Here's my take fwiw-- I use a wider aggressive flat pedal and dedicated an old pair of stiff Vasque trail shoes to be my mt. bike shoes. My pedals have a bunch of little metal studs to help grip. That setup is not perfect and on real gnarly stuff my feet can bounce off the pedals however, also on that gnarly tight single track I have crashed a few times and I'm just not sure I wouldn't have been really messed up if I wasn't able to get my feet free.Also being able to quickly put a foot out has saved me a few times too.

Back in the day on my old bike I used the old toe clip setup and that worked OK.   On a road bike I am locked in and couldn't ride any other way but on the gnarly trails I feel better on the setup I described.   That's what I would suggest at least until you gain some experience and it's a lot cheaper too.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Trying to start more arguments  or what???   

it's simply my naivete when it comes to bikes Big grin

thanks-I think I will go the same route- get an aggressive flat pedal- will work for commuting and hitting the mtns; down the road if I think I'm really missing something I can invest in a different set/shoes

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I would also recommend a flat pedal with pins for now.  You can pick up a decent set for $40-$50.  If you want to switch to clipless later, then you didn't lose a lot of money.  I think there's a lot to be said about being able to bail while learning.  I might have gone headfirst into a tree otherwise.

Running is dumb.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

get the clip ins...I didn't want to go clip in but it works better because you actually pull the petal up.  you can have them verify loose so easy to get out of.  You can buy a flat clip to wear regular shoes when commuting or just carry your shoes to work.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Daydreamer1

You could always try a pair of these.

http://www.rei.com/product/668198/shimano-m324-spd-pedals

These are a little pricy. Performance bike has some for 35-40.

I first started using clipless pedals when I was trying to ride rough trails and my feet kept slipping off the pedals. Being clipped in helps you control the bike better. Just remember, if you do go clipless, practice with them on a smooth grassy area for awhile to get used to clipping in and out.

AT-runner

Tim

IMHO, clip-in or rat trap are the only way to go!!!  The up-stroke on the pedal is just as important as the down-stroke, and standing up on the pedals for a tough climb is easier (and safer) if you are clipped-in..  The Shimano pedals that DD1 has are just an example.  There are many commuter pedals that have clips-in on one side and standard cage rakes on the other.  It takes just a few rides to get comfortable with being clipped in, so don't fear them.  You can kick out very quickly.  I prefer clips to rat traps because I can kick out to the side easier than kicking back.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I definitely see the advantages of a clip in pedal, maybe down the road- the combo pedal linked looks like a great option for using a SPD or regular shoe

I haven't rode a bike in almost 30 years (had a mountain bike in the mid 80's) so I'll probably be plenty challenged as is- although there is the saying "it's like riding a bike"  Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Watoni

I definitely see the advantages of a clip in pedal, maybe down the road- the combo pedal linked looks like a great option for using a SPD or regular shoe

I haven't rode a bike in almost 30 years (had a mountain bike in the mid 80's) so I'll probably be plenty challenged as is- although there is the saying "it's like riding a bike"  Big grin

Clip in. Many of the Shimano pedals have adjustable tension so that you can make it pretty loose to start. You generally clip out with one foot anyway, so ride around on the grass with that dominant foot clipped in and a normal shoe on the other foot. Practice clipping in and out, and your other foot is a back up if you flub it.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

warden, you might want to check with a local bike store. In my area, there's a bike store which does tryouts with different bikes (sizes, frames, gears, ... you name it) on guided trail tours about twice a year. You can chose two or more bikes (I am not sure if you need to pre-register and personalize bikes, so that they put them together for you) and compare them on the trails.

Maybe one of your local stores has the same kind of event some time soon.

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

if the flat pedals don't work out, I'll definitely give the clip ins a try (one of the combo pedals posted above)

^ I had to jump on the 20% coupon @ REI as it expires today

Diamondback Axis Pro on it's way Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Have fun with your new toy!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

jonferg67

Endless trails

I've recently pulled my bike out too, due to running injury. I use power grips on my

pedals and old trail running shoes. These work for me bc I don't ride often but

when I do it's on technical trails, and I don't want to invest in new pedals/shoes.

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/power-grips-toe-straps-toe-clips-straps/225629128.html?listingId=279736894&scid=pla_google_BikeSomeWhere&adid=18183&gclid=CO_tls_l3b0CFUpnOgod_UMAjw

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Have fun with your new toy!

danke!

^jon-  that looks like a pretty good idea, REI carries them- I'll check them out when I pick up my bike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √