Trailer Trash

This is your day Tuesdaily (Read 43 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

So I went out for 6 miles and decided I am finally sick of  winter.  And just in time for a snow storm tomorrow.  Yay!

QOTD 1: What is your decision making process on trails for LRs? (same old trail every time, try something new, flip a coin, ect)

QOTD 2: (not much of a question but) If you are a lurker or have only posted 1 or 2 times, what are you waiting for? We don't bite.  Post away and let us know who you are!

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

I'm back in the northern reaches of Canada and it's -9 this morning. I made it out for 7 miles before giving up. It's just too uncomfortable when it's this cold.

Jamie- I'm tired of winter too. Let it be over!

QOTD: If I'm racing locally, I try to do my long runs on the trails that I'll be racing on. Otherwise, I use one of the many local trails I have nearby. There are enough to keep things mixed up.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Morning,

I went on a fast 10+ mile run yesterday, all of it on snow and ice, so it was a full 10-miler on microspikes. Meanwhile, they feel much more "normal" on my feet than my running shoes alone. It was 23 deg  and plenty windy, and my hands got cold. Now I am tired of winter, too, not so much of snow, but definitely of the ice (and everything seems to be glazed over now!).

I am planning on some miles later today, but it is still colder today, so it might be a shorter run. I am still fighting with an arthritis flare-up, and my ankles hurt, so going shorter might be just fine for today.

boyjame: Nice run. I haven't heard of the new snowstorm yet, but that's just because I want to believe it's getting spring now!

lace_up: I admit, Canada is still a bit colder than here. Although our wind is working hard to make up for this! You did a nice run in these temperatures, way to tough it out!

QOTD1: I usually combine my trails to a new loop. So it's the same old trails in a new order. If a previous LR loop was particularly nice, I sometimes repeat it. When I try new trails, I don't do it for a planned LR, because in my area, you can never be sure about the runability of trails, and this might mess up the concept of the LR (and duration!).

QOTD2: Bring it on, whatever you have to say! New input is highly appreciated.

Enjoy the new week, trailers!

Run for fun.

Birdwell

Morning folks!

T minus 3 days until I run again. Got in 45 minutes at the pool this morning.

Our weather is finally starting to turn nice, especially first thing in the morning, just in time for daylight savings to mess everything up.

Jamie, you could send the storm my way, I need a little snow to cover up my side yard. I started taking out some junipers a while ago, the snow covered it, and I'd forgotten how much I had left to do. I not ready to finish it yet.

lace- good job making it 7 miles. I would have quit at the edge of my driveway.

FYTC- do you notice the micro spikes when you run? I'm thinking about getting some for next year, but I hate feeling anything besides my shoe and the road.

QOTD #1: I try to change it up. I've got three routes that I generally use, depending on how I feel. This summer I'm going to spend a little more time exploring the mountains northeast of town. They back up to a wilderness area (Ashdown Gorge) and I think I'll find some more nice options in there.

QOTD #2: in our house, biting gets you an automatic 5 minute time out (stinking toddlers and puppies)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I forgot to answer my own question: I randomly pick trails.  I have no system for it.  I will think ahead to trails I haven't done in a while or how to change up courses I have done before.  And sometimes I don't want to think so I just do one I have done before.  Sometimes I will specifically target a hilly area if that is what I need.  There are enough trails within 30 minutes of me that I can mix it up.

lace - way to tough out 7 miles in that cold.  To think I was complaining about 26 (felt like 17) today.  Regardless - bring on spring!

Couch - sign up for Hyner yet?

birdwell - how is the foot feeling?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

a short 5 mile recovery run on tap for today, I'm actually feeling better than expected after my Joshua Tree run

qotd:  I definitely mix it up- I have a dozen plus 20+ mile loops I can use, I never do the same one twice in a row

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

NorthernHarrier

This is my day huh? Well it's a nice snowstorm happening so can I pass on that? I'm being a slacker and am home right now. Did what I needed to do yesterday in case of a snow day and while it's not as bad as the original prediction my mind was kind of set for blowing off the day.

So after my coffee is done I'll head down to the man cave for a good workout and then maybe install a new bathroom faucet that has been sitting in a box for the past month. Hate to rush into things.  Probably take the day off from running but I did bring my skis home from the shack so who knows later on....

Hey John-- I'm driving my wife and daughter to Milwaukee early Friday so they can fly to Tucson for some really big book and author type show, convention, or something. You know anything about that? (Tucson Festival of books.) I guess it's one of the largest in the country. Anyway they are combining it with a visit with my sister who lives there so it doesn't seem quite so extreme.

QOTD- Depending on whether I'm home or at my shack I have several systems that I will utilize for the long run. I do like some familiarity with the course for those runs. Helps me manage pace and output, maybe where to cache water, etc. The old standby here is to do a long out and back on the Ice Age race course parking at Hwy 12.

Morning folks!  Starting to ramp up again, although I'm not "officially" in training mode quite yet.  Ran a road 15K on Sunday and was quite pleased with my time given I haven't run "fast" for a while (finished in 1:27).  I also had pulled a chest muscle lugging the toolbox of my cookware up my client's steps, so I wasn't even sure I could finish.  (Had to bail on my 13-miler after a mile on Saturday).  But popped a couple of Vitamin I and got it done.  It was one of the Hot Chocolate races, and while I think the theme races (Warrior Dash, mud runs, color runs) are silly, these folks did a great job.  Very well organized and supported.   Course was hilly, so I got a great work out.  Yesterday went out for an easy 7; my sore chest started hurting again but I gritted through.  Today will be a rest day since I not only want my chest to heal, I also got more work done on my arm sleeve!

qotd1: I'll often head to the same area, but won't necessarily run the same trails.  Come spring/summer there'll be more options available as the snow melts, so I'll add more variety.

qotd2: I haven't been posting in the dailies as much since I've been in recovery mode and feel I don't have a lot to contribute.  But I'm going to make of point of stopping by more often!

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I bailed on yesterdays run due to some foot pain...I think its from putting a lot of miles on the side of a cliff (downhill foot hurts on the outside).  From what I've read I should be able to run through it.  I think I'm going to start aiming my sites on running 11 of 14 days instead of 12.  Everytime I get to 6 days a week something starts hurting.  I'm shooting for 6-7 tonight.

QOTD #1:  I've been picking based on the terrain, proximity to my apartment, distance of the loop, and potential crowdedness.  I don't like to run out and backs if I can avoid it.

QOTD #2:  This is me.  My post yesterday gave me so much solid feedback I don't know why I've been lurking.  I'm going to start making this a regular thing.

**Ask me about streaking**

Morning all. Looks like some great runs. Everyone here in the MD/PA side ready for some snow? Just when you thought the temps were creeping up to spring numbers mother nature decides to crap a few more inches down on us. Oh well, it will make for a nice run on the trails tomorrow before work.

I did some speed work today. 4x400, 3x600, 2x800 all around 5:45 pace. Going to meet up with a local running club and get in 8 to 10 miles to shake the legs out tonight.

qotd  I try to mix it up but around these parts all the trails look the same. Rocky, rocky, rocky.

AT-runner

Tim

Finishes 14 miles on some logging roads that are closed for the winter.  I needed to do some flatter miles since my quads still hurt from running hills all weekend.  Now going to get ready for the 10-12 inches that our area is expecting.  Weather guy is usually wrong, but I'll get plenty of wood in the house just in case.

QOTD:  I mix it up.  Never like to hit the same area twice in a week.  I have to drive about 10 minutes to get to most trail areas, and many times I decide as I'm driving.  Today I changed my mind because there were 2 cars parked at the trail head to where I was going, so I decided it was a sign to run flatter today. How dare they use my trail!

QOTD 2: I lurked on that other site's daily's.  Decided to post in the daily threads when we moved over.  I enjoy the QOTD's.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Had a sucky morning run today. Quit a little over 2 miles in. My legs just didn't want to work right. I may try again this evening.

Yesterday I ran 4.5 miles on a paved bike path and while I felt ok running, my peroneal tendons (think those are the ones... outside heel area, just below the ankle bone) are a little mad at me. I need to figure out how to run on pavement. For some reason races don't bother me but easy runs either feel uncomfortable (if I am wearing lots of shoe) or hurt afterwards (wearing my Ronins or Kinarvas). It's frustrating.

QOTD: For long runs, I try to find routes that meet some perceived need (steep but short hills, long climbs, rocky, challenging downhills, whatever) or that are just pretty. Having a focus for the run keeps me interested when I start to get tired.

Pinhoti 100: Finished :D

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Birdwell: When I run uphill, I sometimes can feel the plate that is on the forefoot that holds the spikes, but it is not uncomfortable. It rather feels like an extra support to push off from. I don't feel the extra weight, the snow/ice add much more to the difficulty of the run than the spikes do.

For slippery snow with some ice, I prefer YakTrax (I have the "pro" version, and I have run probably more than 100 miles on them without problems), for mostly ice, steep hills and less snow, I use the spikes (also about 100 miles on them already with no problems).

Occasionally, I have to check the alignment of the traction devices, because they may slide sideways on long, steep, slanted sections, but usually they hold up just fine.

And because I usually don't carry a drink with me on winter runs (up to about 12-15 miles), I have found a way to secure the little pouch that holds the spikes to my handheld (without the bottle in it), with an extra shoelace, so I can take off the spikes on sections where I don't need them, and carry them along conveniently until I need them again.

Jamie: The check is in the mail... Blush  Now am I a master at procrastination, or what?!

It's more that I am not sure about my arthritis and my ankles, if I will be able to go the distance, or if it is better to cut back a bit.

Run for fun.

Ultra Cowboy

SRD today (After a 7 day UR due to flu) ...

QOTD:  My long runs revolve around the Training group I'm in at the moment.  The coach lays out the groups course.  If I need to add miles after marking, and running with the group, I'll look at loop options from whatever trail head we are at.  Sometimes it is fun to run backwards and see the group members coming in.

WYBMADIITY

Save

Runinaround

Inspired by QOTD #2 I will come clean; Im a big time lurker here almost to the point of being creepy. I ran 8.5 miles in 1 hour down the completely flat arroyo path yesterday training for LA marathon in two weeks. I like to run marathons as well as ultras and im using LA marathon as a training run for Leona Divide 50 miler in April. Will probably just walk a few miles today because of a bruised tail bone sustained from falling while snowboarding this weekend in Lake Tahoe and I should be tapering for LA.

QOTD #1: I have 3 or 4 "go to" trails in the local area I like to run alot, but I like to try a new trail every month or two to mix it up. There is just too many beautiful trails in the area to restrict myself to the same ones all the time.