Trailer Trash

Wild hog question (Read 224 times)

tjrun

No, not the movie.......haha

I read a lot about what to do when coming in close proximity to cougar, bear, etc, but in my neck of the woods my biggest fear has always been big wild hogs.  I haven't worried too much because I usually only see them one at a time and they always run off, but the Monday I saw a whole herd (pack, gaggle....however you refer to a group of wild hogs). Several sows had babies. They were about 200 yards away so I wasn't too worried, but when I hollered at them they just stood there.  No fear.   I'm told by hunters they can be quite fierce and deadly if they want to.  Does anyone know  the best way to handle the situation if you come around a corner and find yourself face to face with a group of these huge hogs.

Thanks.  I live in deep East Texas by the way.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Wild hogs can be dangerous, but attacks are rare.

I once turned around a corner and faced a group of about 50 hogs, with lots of babies with them. I also had my dog with me, and I feared the presence of the dog would trigger an attack. However, the hogs just continued to dig and feed, and I grabbed my dog, turned around and left.

My dad is a hunter and has hunted wild hogs many times. He suggested to remain silent and leave the immediate area when coming upon a group of hogs or even just a single hog. The wild hogs can bite quite badly, and the males have large tusks which can cause fatal injuries. There is no way to outrun a hog, either.

Run for fun.

Uh oh... now what?

Wild hogs can be dangerous, but attacks are rare.

There is no way to outrun a hog, either.

Escape route number one is a tree.  Think up, not far.  If you have a pet with you,

do not waste time trying to save the pet.  Get yourself up and out of harm's way.

tjrun

Attacks are rare....this is good!

Being quiet as opposed to yelling and trying to scare them seems to be the best advice since I'm being told they have great eyesight and poor hearing.  Climbing a tree is not a great option here as the trees are large pines with no low branches.

If I come upon them again, I will just be extra quiet.  It just worried me seeing such a large group with babies.  I didn't know my best plan for excape if one charged me.

Thanks for your knowledge and advice.

Ultra Cowboy

To date, every time I've been in bow range, hogs have beat feet away from there as soon as they got my scent.

I'd worry if the only escape route is over me.

The same has been true with bears, coyotes, bobcats, and cougars.

Don't kick a piglet like a football and you should be alright...

WYBMADIITY

Save

tjrun

I'll try to remember that!  Big grin

NorthernHarrier

To date, every time I've been in bow range, hogs have beat feet away from there as soon as they got my scent.

I'd worry if the only escape route is over me.

The same has been true with bears, coyotes, bobcats, and cougars.

Rocky, I know nothing of hogs except they are tasty but I've talked with enough guys who have hunted  them and there are some interesting stories and methods. My daughter keeps telling me she wants me to take her hunting for them down in Texas.  I would have no clue myself. Can you hunt them with bird dogs? Big grin JK

It's so much easier just dealing with wolves, bears, a rare moose, and aggressive porcupines like we have. Oh yeah, having to carry a club in the spring for overly aggressive butterballs.

tjrun--since you brought up the movie Wild Hogs next time you see one try playing that game from the movie and "slap the hog". Cool Let me know how it works.

Ultra Cowboy

I do think that the razorback's of east Texas and the SE may have more aggressive nature than our California swine.  Heavier cover, more Russian in their genetics, less food....

I mean after all if the Cows are Happy in California shouldn't the pigs should be relatively content?

WYBMADIITY

Save

sugnim

I love this thread!  Big grin

(Sorry, not much more to offer than my appreciation for wild animal encounters.)

tjrun

I think I've seen so many lately because of the deer hunter's feeders that are out there.  I run on private land that serves as a lease during season.  Now that whitetail season is over....yea! (Nothing at all against hunting, I just have to stay off the trail and pipelines during), their feed corn buffet should dry up and I'm hoping I won't have to worry about them being where I run anymore.  I've run out there for years, but this is the first year I have seen them so frequently.

I had my American Bulldog, Thor, with me when I saw them.  I'm glad he minds well and didn't feel the need to chase them.

NH - I hope to never come face to face with one of these big suckers, but if I do, I'll try the slap.

Rocky - Checked out your blog.  Really enjoyed it.  I love the pics with your horses.  My daughter and I have wanted to take our horses to Colorado for a long riding/hiking adventure, but we haven't ever been able to make it work out yet.

Ultra Cowboy

Thanks TJ,

If you decide to do that trip to Colorado, I can direct you to a forum that has folks who know the trails in the 4 corners region pretty well.

WYBMADIITY

Save

LB2

I have encounters with wild hogs pretty often, not so much when running but turkey hunting. Granted, during that time, I have a shotgun, but I am not going to shoot a hog and possibly ruin my turkey hunt. Anyway, several times last spring I came up on a whole gang of hogs in a field I was crossing. One morning in particular, it was extremely early, and I had two gobblers roosted on the edge of the field, slam dunk!!!! I wasn't using a light, just walking in the dark. I saw the outlines of hogs in the field and was very close, probably 25 yards or so when they ran. Two medium sized (150 pounds?) hogs came back around and got pretty close to me from the back. I stopped and looked at them, and they ran away. I have had lots of encounters similar to this, but this was the first time I had that many large hogs in one group that close. I have never felt threatened by them, but I know of stories where people have been chased. However, I mostly associate that with people who use to dogs to bay hogs; they get cornered and use what they have to defend themselves. I would say your best defense would be up the nearest tree because they can do some serious damage, even the ones that don't have big tusks showing. I know lots of folks who are terrified of them, and will not be caught in the woods after dusk or before dawn.

The hogs that morning ended up running right up under the turkeys on the roost and pretty much screwed the hunt up because they hung around the field edge for quite awhile. I don't think I killed either of those gobblers.

LB2