Trailer Trash

Heat training in cold weather? (Read 31 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Even though I'm only on the wait list for MMT 100, I am getting concerned about the temperatures.

In PA, where I live, the temperatures have been below freezing consistently for a few weeks now (except for 1 or two days with temps in the lower 30's), whereas for MMT100, which is held in mid-May in VA, the weather is expected to be warm and humid.

If this winter in PA turns out to be long and dragged-out, we might have snow on the ground through April, and temperatures accordingly low.

How do I adjust to the warmer temperatures (80's) and high humidity other than just running way over-dressed, wearing multiple warm jackets and double pants instead of tights and just one light jacket (as it will still be cold in PA in April, so not even shorts-weather)?

Any ideas, tips?

I usually adapt to heat and humidity within a few days, say 4-5, but I won't have time to stay in VA before the race.

Run for fun.

Watoni

Bundling up and running works, how about step ups in a sauna?

DigDug2

Treadmill.  If you own one, crank up the heat in your house.  If you have to go to the gym, you still get to run in 65-70 degree temps, and can overdress as well.

Classic story re: U.S. women's marathon champion from Alaska a number of years back:

http://alaskasportshall.org/inductee/chris-clarks-olympic-trial-victory/

LB2

I think probably the best thing to simulate it would be to use a TM and turn up the heat with over dressing. Running in the heat is probably my biggest weakness as a runner, which is odd because I live in Louisiana, a subtropical climate. I suffer each summer, but fall and winter are nice.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Run with this outfit on!!!!

Seriously though, I do not think the temps in VA in May are considered hot n humid.  They could be but I do not think that is the norm.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

Winter is bound to end sometime Couch.

I think what you really need for MMT is a couple of long mountainous runs in the spring when the days get humid and warm. Maybe not 80's warm but humid warm. Really I see no way to replicate that indoors on a TM or bundled up in the winter. You might be able to get the heat you need indoors but the treadmill running for a long period of time.. blech. Are you able to travel for any of your long runs? Usually around here in April it's plenty warm at least a few weekends.

It's a tough call on the weather. The last time I volunteered down there (2013) it was only in the 60's but grey, still, and humid. So it was still tricky weather for the runners. The first year I ran it I ran most of the day shirtless, but by the next morning I was in a jacket. 80's and high humidity gave way to thunderstorms, a cold front, and finishing temps in the 50's with a chilly wind. The next year I ran it in lovely 60-80 degree temps. So yeah, I think the odds are it will get warm at some point.

Sorry if none of this helps. At this point I would not over think it based on your acclimation time.  The fact that you like warm weather and acclimate quickly bodes well for you.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

It sounds like treadmill, or heat workouts indoors will have to be part of my training. I did a bit of a high-intensity workout indoors  yesterday, with a space heater on. Liked it!

Taper: Thanks for the information. I should look up more about the weather at MMT!

I might be able to visit my FIL in April, and go for a run in the DC area. That's warmer than PA, and I know the area, so I can run long there, too.

Run for fun.