Trailer Trash

Ultra Vests (Read 431 times)

Ultra Cowboy

Last year I resisted the urge to invest in a dedicated running pack/vest.  This year I am considering making the leap to something more light weight and running appropriate than my Badlands 100 oz Hydration pack in camo. 

I would entertain your suggestions for hydration packs that would suit my 46 inch chest and long torso. 

WYBMADIITY

Save

NorNev

Rocky

I just bought a Nathan Endurance (2 liter) and have run with it twice, 12.2 miler and a 6.3 miler and found it to be nice! It rode without sloshing around and I hardly felt it....and this comming from someone that's never worn one before.

But I've just got limited experience...you'll probably get better info from others around here 

And I'm 6'3", 175...not sure what my chest is

I'm a big guy (6'2", 44" chest, 200lbs) and I was the "big guy fit model" for the new UD Signature Series packs.  I wore a prototype of the SJ at Hardrock this year and really liked it. 

I haven't tried the production ones, but if they fit like the prototypes, they are very nice for us big folks!

I have a Nathan HPL 020 and though I am new to the ultra world, I've worn it for several long runs (~20 mi) before and love it. It holds 70 oz and has easily accessible pockets.  They have a women's version too, but I have broad shoulders and opted for the regular unisex one. It is similar to the Endurance with a few differences you can research online. 

NorthernHarrier

Talking sizes are we.  Was at a pub once and overheard a guy saying to a babe, "I have really big hands, you know what that means..." and she replied back "you buy big gloves?" and walked away.

I've had the standard Nathan for a few years. It seems to work OK. If I were looking right now I would want to look further and I'd like to see the models put out by UltraSpire. They look pretty good.

Oh and I have a 44" chest too. And I wear size 13 shoes--you know what that means.

Endurance Guy

Pain cave junkie

Salomon advanced Skin 5 running vest is my new best friend on runs of 2 hours or more.  This coming from someone who hated any running vest that I tried, bought and now sits in a box.  The Skin 5 is super well thought out and fits like a glove.  They have different levels of vests but I really liked the features and design of the Skin 5.  Salomon gets a A on the Skin 5.

JB

ultraendure.blogspot.com

Ultra Cowboy

WYBMADIITY

Save

Messenjah

I have the Nathan Endurance vest and really like it. I am 6'2", 210 lbs and I would like it if the pockets didn't lay on my ribs but a little under, but overall it's a great pack. I wore it for a 40 mile trail race this past April (with 1 trial run of 4 miles) and really had no problems with it. The pill pocket is fantastic and the front pockets fit everything that I need. I usually put a couple of gels in the left front pocket and put a 22 oz Nathan bottle in the right front pocket.

Messenjah

I have also heard that the UD AK vest does seem to be pretty narrow threw the chest so that may be a deterrent depending on how snug you like things.

Birdwell

I'm 6'3" and wear a 44 long. I have an UltraSpire Omega that fits great. There's enough adjustment that it would easily fit you. I tried every vest I could find (Nathan hpl, everything osprey, gregory and camelbak made, salomon, north face, golite,seriously everything. it drove my wife crazy for five months. i had to go to every outdoor, running and sporting good store i saw.) The ultraspire fit me the best. The biggest problem I had with the other ones, is they were designed for shorter people, so all the pockets sat way to high, to the point it was awkward trying to access them. 

the omega is essentially the same pack as the surge, with a larger pocket in the back. It's got enough room for jackets, food etc. great for long us supported runs.

I tried the camelbak vest, and they are just awkward. I do have three Camlebak packs that I love, though 

The only downside is that it cost more than anything else, except the Solomon.

i did a run with a buddy a while back who uses the Nathan, we traded for a little while, and he was jealous. 

Ultraspire has great customer service too. 

Disclaimer: I don't work for ultraspire, but they are local to me. I had to fix their AC unit over the summer, and got to meet a lot of the people. They are just awesome people. The head honcho over there used to work for Nathan and designed their vest, when he was there. Ultraspire really is the next generation Nathan. 

Messenjah

This is one of my biggest problems with the vests also. I am 6'2" and find that if I put a bottle in the right pocket of my nathan it almost hits me in the face. I have a polar bottle that is insulated that I would love to put in that pocket but it sticks up way too high

The biggest problem I had with the other ones, is they were designed for shorter people, so all the pockets sat way to high, to the point it was awkward trying to access them. 

Birdwell

This is one of my biggest problems with the vests also. I am 6'2" and find that if I put a bottle in the right pocket of my nathan it almost hits me in the face. I have a polar bottle that is insulated that I would love to put in that pocket but it sticks up way too high

YES! thank you. I knew I wasn't the only one who felt this way.  

Occasional Runner

If you want to be like everybody else...buy a Nathan vest. "they" all seem to love it. If you want a great hydration pack, spend some time looking at Salomon. They have the best gear on the market (for now). I hate wearing a pack or vest of any kind, but my S-Lab pack is pretty awesome. I wore it in seven 100 mile races this year and loved it. 

skeene07

Dirty Girl

I have also heard that the UD AK vest does seem to be pretty narrow threw the chest so that may be a deterrent depending on how snug you like things.

My husband recently got this one and he is 5'10" about 155lbs and it looks so tiny on him. He seems far like it so far but I just can't imagine how bigger people could wear it! Oh and he even got the bigger size.

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

Ultra Cowboy

Lace up I have 3 friends who love their Solomon vests. Two of them have boobs.  The way it affected or didn't affect their boobs is the biggest topic of discussion when they describe why they like it so much.  The guy is a Solomon fan regardless.  It has high marks going into this discussion, but I wanted to make sure I didn't overlook any other options.

I was initially attracted to the AK Vest but a good fit on that Skinny Jesus Christ lookin' guy might be too small for a good fit on me.  I thought the AK might mean Alaska which seems to impart a feeling of toughness.

I really do appreciate everyone's personal experience with these.  Especially those of you close to my height and girth. 

cgerber what was your thought on the AK race pack vs SJ?

WYBMADIITY

Save