Trailer Trash

Piriformis pain anyone?! (Read 42 times)

skeene07

Dirty Girl

So I think it's time I do something about this pain in the butt before it becomes a real problem. Anyone care to give any tips that have worked for you?! I am finding all kinds of stuff online but also looking for personal experiences too.

Mine started after my 50 miler in April. I was hoping it was just over use from the race. For two months I took it easy with my running and it's not any better. And it wasn't any worse until after my 8.5 miler this morning.

It doesn't hurt when I am running. Only after....so far Wink

Thanks!!

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

muppy

I've been dealing with it for almost a year. I do foam roller (I have the type with the bumps and stuff to get at it better) can also use a tennis or lacrosse ball.

Also lots of stretches, I like the pigeon pose best, lots of good stretches out there, just hard to describe them. The worst thing for me is driving a car, it gets painful.

More important is why it hurts? Mine is from the piriformis muscle putting pressure on it. Good luck!

jonferg67

Endless trails

I had an issue with this last year, I was able to find a video of a stretch that fixed it, but

I can't find it now. There are many stretches and videos that target the piriformis but

the one that worked for me started with being on all fours, crossing one ankle over

the other, outstretching one arm, then leaning back, you can feel the stretch deep

in the buttocks where the piriformis is located. The video is worth seeking it, it helped

me a great deal.

This blog has additional info about that small, quirky muscle that seems to radiant pain

like crazy. http://runawayfastjaymee.blogspot.com/2010/09/how-to-fix-piriformis-syndrome.html

My issue wouldn't bother me until about an hour into a long run, which was literally a

pain in the ass when I was doing an out n' back.

jonferg67

Endless trails

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Wow Jon, thanks! Not sure if it was you or not but at the end of last year I was dealing with ITB issues and someone suggested this video/stretch. And it really did help alot. It didnt yet occur to me that I need to stretch the same muscles for my piriformis pain as I did for ITB pain. Connection between the two I suppose.

The ITB pain made me miss my first 50M in the fall. Thought I rehabbed it well but then ended up with the piriformis from the spring 50M. Hmm.

skeene07

Dirty Girl

I've been dealing with it for almost a year. I do foam roller (I have the type with the bumps and stuff to get at it better) can also use a tennis or lacrosse ball.

Also lots of stretches, I like the pigeon pose best, lots of good stretches out there, just hard to describe them. The worst thing for me is driving a car, it gets painful.

More important is why it hurts? Mine is from the piriformis muscle putting pressure on it. Good luck!

Thanks! I've used the lacrosse ball for the tops of my hamstrings. Guess I need to move it up a little further now!

Have you ever tried yoga?! It was (I think) the biggest help with my ITB pain recovery last year and now that I see a connection with the muscles will be heading back tomorrow morning Wink

Yup, this is usually the one thing I can rely on hurting me. It's never excruciating on trails, but in my road marathon days it was the worst. I swear by a foam roller. Sit on it and cross the "bad" leg/side over the other knee, and roll back and forth. I use the tennis ball/ lacrosse ball trick too. Otherwise, punching your butt repeatedly seems to work in a pinch. You might get weird stares from your SO....

Deltarose

I had a chronic piriformis issue for several years and found all kinds of ways to cope with the pain [rolling on a baseball, stretches, ice and NSAIDS].

What finally fixed it for me was starting a core work/ cross training routine.

I wish I knew which combination of moves did it, but a few weeks into doing some DVDs at home, trying to tone up and lose a couple pounds, I noticed my Pirifromis pain was gone.

I am moderately consistent with the core work and also do lots of bridges/planks/bicycles and side lying leg lifts when I am not doing the actual workouts - just to keep everything moving/strong.

For me, this was my cure. My suspicion is that I had an imbalance/ weakness somewhere which was corrected with the new workouts.

It has been a almost 2 years and the only piriformis issues I have had in that time [ my pain was constant and chronic prior] have been related to long car rides [always a killer for me] and go away once I get out and walk around for a day.

The DVDs I use are Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 and 6 week 6 pack. I'm not going to suggest to purchase those DVDs exactly, but adding that kind of focused core/lower back work and an overall toning did it for me.

Best of luck to you, I fully understand your plight!

runtraildc

+1.  When I had some piriformis issues emerging earlier this year, stretching definitely helped alleviate the aches & pain, but the long-term solution for me really was strength training.

What finally fixed it for me was starting a core work/ cross training routine.

I wish I knew which combination of moves did it, but a few weeks into doing some DVDs at home, trying to tone up and lose a couple pounds, I noticed my Pirifromis pain was gone.

I am moderately consistent with the core work and also do lots of bridges/planks/bicycles and side lying leg lifts when I am not doing the actual workouts - just to keep everything moving/strong.

For me, this was my cure. My suspicion is that I had an imbalance/ weakness somewhere which was corrected with the new workouts.

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Thank you so much everyone. This is exactly what I was looking for.

i need to stay on top of this so it doesn't get any worse Smile

muppy

Two things that helped me, I sleep on my side so I put a pillow between my knees to relive pressure (or so they say). And two exercises that the Dr suggested for my  piriformis are,  lay flat on your stomach, and clench and hold your butt check muscles for 20 seconds X10 for 3 sets and in same position do leg raise, one leg at a time and hold for 15 seconds X 10 for 3 sets.

skeene07

Dirty Girl

Two things that helped me, I sleep on my side so I put a pillow between my knees to relive pressure (or so they say). And two exercises that the Dr suggested for my  piriformis are,  lay flat on your stomach, and clench and hold your butt check muscles for 20 seconds X10 for 3 sets and in same position do leg raise, one leg at a time and hold for 15 seconds X 10 for 3 sets.

Thanks Muppy, the sleeping with a pillow between the legs is a new one to me. I can see why it would work. Ido hasn't bothered me yet while laying in bed but wonder if it would help anyway. Thanks.

LB2

The video posted by Jonferg is what I think I suggested to you after he suggested it to me. Frankly, that stretch saved my running after Rocky Raccoon 2012. It was amazing. I had self diagnosed myself with ITBS, but it may have been more of a piriformis issue. I think it works wonders for both situations, and I still use it. Thanks jon.

LB2