Trailer Trash

sickly saturdaily (Read 203 times)

5 miles for the pooch and me.

QOTD: Not sure anything really works better than home made chicken soup.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Weegee, I agree with you on the "reason" part, I am well aware of all the "alternative medicines" etc.

However, there is definitely a psychological effect, and it has been proven that if someone believes in a remedy, it is likely to work for him because the positive attitude boosts the immune system. On the other hand, if someone believes a (chemical) medicine will fail, it is more likely to actually fail, or higher doses are needed for the same effect. The mind plays an important role in illnesses and treatment, and not only in minor illnesses like colds, headaches, etc..

Another point is that homeopathy (the name refers to "what causes the symptoms/illness must, in very low doses, help against it") does not always use highly diluted substances. Some are quite potent and can even have toxic effects, although these are less commonly used.

And sometimes, there are more complex effects. Cold does not cause "the cold", but it has been proven that cold (especially cold feet) may slow down the immune system in some people, so that if there is a cold virus around, you might be more likely to get sick from it because your immune system is not working at its peak performance.

I usually say that if a remedy helps someone feel better, it "works" for them.

P.S.: One funny thing I do when I have a cold or a sore throat is wrap a scarf around my neck. DH always cracks up about it, but I just "know" that this makes it better. After all, millions of Austrians and Germans (where this is common) can't be wrong, right?

Run for fun.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

A hiking mnkiwi and I will go!  Going to be a slushy one.  I suspect we'll do my typical 6.5 loop at Blue Mounds, but we'll see how bad the conditions are.

QOTD: I agree with Nathan -- just don't get sick in the first place.  I couldn't tell you why, but after I started running and became a vegetarian, I have hardly ever been sick.

Running is dumb.

Weegee

Weegee, I agree with you on the "reason" part, I am well aware of all the "alternative medicines" etc.

However, there is definitely a psychological effect, and it has been proven that if someone believes in a remedy, it is likely to work for him because the positive attitude boosts the immune system. On the other hand, if someone believes a (chemical) medicine will fail, it is more likely to actually fail, or higher doses are needed for the same effect. The mind plays an important role in illnesses and treatment, and not only in minor illnesses like colds, headaches, etc..

Another point is that homeopathy (the name refers to "what causes the symptoms/illness must, in very low doses, help against it") does not always use highly diluted substances. Some are quite potent and can even have toxic effects, although these are less commonly used.

And sometimes, there are more complex effects. Cold does not cause "the cold", but it has been proven that cold (especially cold feet) may slow down the immune system in some people, so that if there is a cold virus around, you might be more likely to get sick from it because your immune system is not working at its peak performance.

I usually say that if a remedy helps someone feel better, it "works" for them.

P.S.: One funny thing I do when I have a cold or a sore throat is wrap a scarf around my neck. DH always cracks up about it, but I just "know" that this makes it better. After all, millions of Austrians and Germans (where this is common) can't be wrong, right?

Word up, MM!  :-)

Totally agreed.  The mind has a huge effect on the perception of efficacy of medicines.  It won't change a Methilin-resistant strain of Staphylococcus into one that Methilin will kill, however.  The big problem with giving placebo treatments is that it encourages magical thinking.  Next thing you know, they're talking about how Reiki cured their hangover.

For some time I've been contemplating selling an actual line of "medical-grade placebo" pills, saying something like, "When scientists test medicines, what is it they always test against?  The placebo.  Why?  Because it works!  We cut out the middleman and bring placebos directly to you!"

Oops.  Betsy's coming with the ball gag.  Gotta go!

runtraildc

Good afternoon!  No long run day for me, just an hour in yoga and heading out with DS for a short 4 miles.

qotd:  I agree with Weegee and FTYC.  (and by the way birdwell-- my real name is Nancy.  But no offense taken Smile )

12 muddy, hilly miles today. It was about 50-55 degrees so I wore shorts and a t-shirt. In January! Will post some pics on my blog at some point tomorrow, cause tonight I'm going out dancing Cool.

QOTD: I will usually go for soup, rest, and tea. If it's really bad, I take some kind of DayQuil/NyQuil.

a mush 16 on the Rail to Trail, snow was melting as I ran.

QOTD: so far so good as far as the flu/cold goes even with the 1st graders slobbing all over me with running noses, wash hands, wash hands, Bee Pollen tablepoon every morning, Fish Oil, and real live food and  GET OUTSIDE.

Watoni

Weird California weather ... well below zero in Tahoe, where the boys were skiing, frost on the beaches in San Diego! and frosty here in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Between working I got a nice cycling hill repeat ride, not too hard ... just over 20 miles, 3750 feet up and down.

QOTD: Soup ...

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Went to Scenic and Wild film festival in town last two days.  Yes NorCal is freezing right now.  We have 20 scheduled for tomorrow.

QOTD: I think you just have to wait it out.

Cocktails and Trails:  Read and enjoyed your blog.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄