Trailer Trash

Monday Monday, so good to me (Read 39 times)

Chnaiur

Going out for 6 in 5 minutes. The plan calls for weights on Mondays, but my GI has been a mess the last two days. When you are on a mostly vegetarian diet, suddenly eating a pound of flank steak hurts!

QOTD1: Yes, it can suffer. However, I sleep so poorly if I'm not physically tired that trying to save time on training usually doesn't pay off.

QOTD2: I weight train. My goal is to have great endurance, but also enough robustness to carry a heavy backpack hiking or on skis.

The base of my program is the main powerlifting excersises, as they are pretty universal movements. I keep the reps low to focus on strength and not muscle growth.

Monday:

5x5 Squat

5x5 Overhead press --> this is the best for walking & running posture!

1x5 Deadlift

Accessory stuff: Chins, Dips, Leg raises, Back extensions

Wednesday:

Intervals/Circuit training. Cycle, row, step-ups, balancing stuff.

Friday:

Max-out day. Try for 5-rep max on Squat, OHP, Deadlift.

Accessory stuff: Chins, Dips, Leg raises, Back extensions

I've been running this program since April, and it is working great for me. The Monday workout is very hard, but the Friday workout is low-volume enough that it is easy to recover from. I know I need to work those movements twice per week to progress.

I'm also finding that strength training doesn't interfere that much with long slow runs. It is OK to run LSD on tired legs, and the stiffness usually goes away after 30 minutes. My long (3-hr) run is usually on Thursdays.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

XtremeTaper

Had some pretty decent runs this weekend where the legs felt good and there was little to no slogging. 10 miles at White Clay Creek on Saturday and 6 miles yesterday at French Creek. Yesterday's run was particularly strong as I felt a bit of smoothness coming down the big hill on the six penny trail. It's about a mile long rocky descent with only a few steep parts. I sort of trail danced my way down it at a brisk pace. Way too fun. 

Today was strength training at the gym. No running today but I will take the dogs out for a trail walk this evening. Taper time.

QOTD1: Sometimes but rarely. It's more beneficial for me to find an hour to get out and run. It usually helps in periods of high stress, be it work of life related.

QOTD2: I have a regular routine I do once a week at the gym on various contraptions. Also on a daily basis I do some basic stuff like planks, hip exercises, and stretches for the calf muscles and hamstrings.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

LB2

SRD

1. Yes

2. No

LB2

Watoni

Hopefully a nice ride through the Santa Cruz Mountains where I do not push too hard. I rode with my normal group yesterday, and really suffered on the last climb. Body is still adjusting from that wacky 100-mile run effort ...

QOTD: Life wreaks havoc with my schedule all the time

QOTD: Not yet

TT -- Hang in there. We have you in our thoughts.

Snowdenrun

Morning Trailers!

Dad and brother were in town for a week and we had a great time. Brother and I went hiking a few times and got some really good climbs in. Later in the week DBF and I took them and the dog out on the boat to an island and "camped" in one of the many forest service cabins around.

QOTD: During the chaos of life/work/EMT class/Fire stuff it felt like my running suffered but it didn't really. I kept my mileage up, just adjusted the days and times I ran. The past 3 weeks my running has really suffered through. I think part of it was getting really bust again. Swap out EMT class for Hazmant and Firefighter 1 class. But I think it also suffered because I was really slow recovering from the marathon. My knees have been killing me for a while. I'm hoping the extended break while family was in town helped. I was able to get some really hard hikes in and my knees are feeling okay. 

Modified for QOTD #2: I have free access to the gym through a work membership and I NEVER go. I would like to strength train. I think it would do wonder for my upper body, but I get so bored with it so quickly. I'd also really enjoy doing yoga once a week, but that is not free and very expensive.