Trailer Trash

Sort of timely, almost interesting... (Read 48 times)

Uh oh... now what?

Watoni

A helicopter arrives.

http://yomamasofit.com/2015/01/05/no-run-should-ever-end-with-an-air-lift/

Yikes ... I think IRunFar has an article on basics of running in the wilderness, part I up

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

What an unfortunate adventure, and luckily with a good ending!

Reminds me of my own near-airlift encounter in 2013:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Trailer_Trash/forum/3f22daab4c894b9ba112028312e453ea/0

Everyone can make the wrong decisions, and if bad comes to worse, we can only be grateful to the people who get us out of that mess again!

I'm glad the lady was found in time. I can imagine very well how she must have felt.

Run for fun.

moonlightrunner

Wow....terrifying. it is a good thing her husband flagged down that cop...she really got the ball rolling. It is so amazing she did not become hypothermic.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

AT-runner

Tim

I mark any unexpected intersections with a cairn, to make backtracking very easy.  She's lucky she made it home safe since she made several mistakes along the way.

I read that putting your cell phone in "Airplane Mode" saves more battery than turning it off and on again (it was on the Internet, so must be true).  Not sure if it's true on iPhone's, but many Andriod phones have a big power usage during start-up.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Sandy-2

I mark any unexpected intersections with a cairn, to make backtracking very easy.  She's lucky she made it home safe since she made several mistakes along the way.

Agree with both of these points.  I've marked tuns with branches/sticks.  She set herself up badly and that started the whole thing; heading out after 3pm for a 25 mile run in unfamiliar terrain with only an energy bar.

Here's the irunfar article, good read and review, I read it the other day.

http://www.irunfar.com/2015/01/what-every-trail-runner-needs-to-know-about-time-in-the-wilderness-part-one-safety.html

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good read, Sandy.

The sad thing is that sometimes one knows all these rules, tips and tricks, and has enough experience to know what they are doing or attempting when starting out on a long run. Just on that one day, you either feel over-confident, you are in a hurry, you are too optimistic, or just simply too lazy to carry all that stuff with you, to ask a buddy to come with you, or to let someone else know. And you are too stubborn, too cocky, too excited or too negligent to reconsider or re-route your run. You don't take the hazards seriously. That is usually when the "bad luck" then strikes and things go wrong.

With me, in that one particular incidence, it took a long time for me to acknowledge to myself that I actually was in trouble, and that I had to plan every next step carefully and considering all circumstances, to avoid getting myself deeper and deeper into the mess. One very wrong decision often triggers the following decisions to be simply the wrong choices as well, and in the end, you wonder "How could that happen?" or "How could I let that happen, knowing better each time?"

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

thanks for the post and story

a good reminder for all of us wandering into the backcountry or even not so backcountry

even when running relatively close to town (still pretty remote and little to no cell phone coverage) I always carry at least a  minimal kit w/ me to tough out an unintended night out- it will almost certainly be miserable, but I should still be alive come morning

the ability to build a fire and a shelter will often be the difference of making it and not

if you're relying on a phone for a safety net or navigation, be familiar w/ the settings that optimize battery life- there are several good articles on how to eek out the longest battery life- here's one http://www.adventurealan.com/iphone4gps.htm

stay safe!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √