Trailer Trash

The Barkley Marathons (Read 80 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Met John Fegyveresi last summer at Leadville (doing Leadville, Badwater and Barkley in one year ain't too shabby).  He's done quite a few epic runs, including that hilly one you guys talk about in Central PA, since he's from that area.

Laurel Highlands?

Running is dumb.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Met John Fegyveresi last summer at Leadville (doing Leadville, Badwater and Barkley in one year ain't too shabby).  He's done quite a few epic runs, including that hilly one you guys talk about in Central PA, since he's from that area.

THAT hilly one in central PA? Uh...they are all hilly but I am sure you mean Hyner.  His name looks familiar.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Occasional Runner

Is Hyner hilly?

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Is Hyner hilly?

Ummm.....maybe not compared to the Wasatch.

Interesting read on John Fegyveresi - Couch do you know him? He does his LRs in Rothrock State Forrest.

http://blog.pennlive.com/running/2012/08/state_college_runner_finishes.html

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Kalsarikännit

It's beyond ridiculous. I don't know what people see in races like this and I can't bring myself to take it seriously. 

Middle distance runners say the exact same thing about you and your races. To each their own.

I am looking forward to the day when a woman finishes it. Currently Sue Johnston has done the fun run (I believe twice).  I wish I had the balls to do it, but I get lost on a 400 meter track.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

BenTN

I don't ever plan to enter but I do plan to take a trip to Frozen Head, camp and run the marked trails. Maybe next year, I'll go and spectate.

I'm trying to explore new trails in Tennessee. The Savage Gulf marathon / Fall Creek Falls 50K double next March sounds fun.

Sandy-2

THAT hilly one in central PA? Uh...they are all hilly but I am sure you mean Hyner.  His name looks familiar.

Yup, that's the one. LOL.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

I am looking forward to the day when a woman finishes it. 

My money's on Beverly Anderson Abbs, perhaps even for this year.  She's done the fun run at least once, possibly more.

Kalsarikännit

Bev and Alan Abbs appear to be running together. They got through two loops in 23 hours. I guess it is raining and a mess. I am keeping my fingers crossed for them (and for everyone else).

Kalsarikännit

The Abbs are over 36 hours. They can't go out on loop four. Another "fun run" year.

The Abbs are over 36 hours. They can't go out on loop four. Another "fun run" year.

Oh bummer.

Chnaiur

Sad

Was rooting for them. My first ultra was the one they arrange out of their garage. They are really nice people.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

It's beyond ridiculous. I don't know what people see in races like this and I can't bring myself to take it seriously. In my mind, it's the ultra equivalent to the Warrior Dash. Long on games, short on credibility.

Laz is one of the great characters of ultrarunning and has been around for a very long time, since John M. was a young man even.  The Barkley is just one of many events that he has dreamed up, but is surely it is the biggest joke of all of them, and yet every "entrant" knows going in that "There is no point."  He is the RD of the Backyard Ultra, Gas Giant, Last Annual Vol State, Strolling Jim (emeritus).  I think Vol State is still unique in the US, a true multi-day point-to-point road race (500km) and every year there are compelling stories.

https://www.facebook.com/volstaterun

FYI, two finishers this year:

Nick Hollon, 22, 57:41, Travis Wildeboer 58:41.

Running Problem

Problem Child

bumping this just to say the 2023 version has started.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22