Trailer Trash

Rock the Night Away HM RR (Read 20 times)

RabbitChaser

What: Rock the Night Away Half Marathon
    Where: Lake Perry, KS
    When: 8:30 p.m. on Friday, June 21, 2013
    Weather: 86F with a heat index of 91F
    Finish Time: 2:42
    AG Place: 6/16
    OA Place: 35/96

My goal was sub-2:35 with a best case of sub-2:30. Needless to say that I didn't hit that. The humidity zapped my energy and motivation in a big way. I had struggles, mostly mental, throughout, but prevailed and am happy with the result. I had a fun night on the trails and enjoyed the company of friends, it doesn't get better than that.

Here is the timeline after the HM: I went to sleep @ 3:30 Saturday morning & woke up at 5:00 (1.5 hrs of sleep); packed up the tent, drove home, showered and went to a running clinic; tried to take a "nap" at 2:30ish Saturday afternoon and woke up at midnight, closed my eyes and woke up again at 7:00 this morning. I guess I really needed the rest. :grin:

If you want to read the full report and see the photos, follow the below link.
    Full RR

Eric

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Weather: 86F with a heat index of 91F

ouch!!!!  congrats, the weather alone would make that a tough run

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Birdwell

Nice job on the race. It took me a minute to register the 8:30 P.M. start (I thought it was weird that people had on headlamps, but i figured it out)

Those trails look like fun in the day, I can't imagine running them at night.

What 50K are you going to do?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, sounds like a tough race with the heat and humidity (I was a bit surprised at 86 already in the morning, until I got the idea that it was a NIGHT run...).

Great job toughing it out and getting yourself motivated to run again several times. The trails look great, but tricky for some night running. The troll who threw in the root to trip you sure wasn't happy at you tearing it apart!

Run for fun.

muppy

Nice job Eric, sounds like it was  a bit hot, and you still finished in the top 1/3, congrats!

Snowdenrun

I think I would fall over and cry if I ran in that kind of heat. Great job, you earned that beer!

RabbitChaser

mtwarden - Thanks! I definitely had a rough time with the weather. When I finished, i had goosebumps all over my legs and arms.

Birdwell - Thanks! Those trails are fun during the day. I'll be doing (hopefully) the Lake Perry Rocks! 50K on the same trails in October. I may need to find shoes that offer better rock protection than the Mizuno Ascends.

FTYC - Thanks! I'm sure the troll wasn't happy and neither was I. If I could have buried it I would have, but ripping it seemed like the only option in my frustrated state at the time.

Run Muppy - Thanks! Overall I'm pleased with how I did and it gave items to work on. Most of all, more time on the trails; to me, that's not a bad thing at all. Smile

Snowdenrun - Thanks! I did better than I thought I would in the tripping/rolling ankles department. The heat did almost get me to drop at the 10K, but I'm glad I didn't.

Eric

runtraildc

Nice job!  Congratulations on a solid finish (and in brutal weather!).