Trailer Trash

Europe Part IV -- Hiking this time, but probably the best running terrain (Read 20 times)

Watoni

So, we arrived in Sankt Kassian/San Cassiano after Cortina, with a bit of rain mourning my ankle Wink

We were then back in Alta Badia, where the language shifts again from Italian as in Cortina (Belluno province) to German and Ladin (a language similar to Romantsch in Switzerland). I will say though that in some of the hotels and restaurants Italian staff is becoming more common whose knowledge of German/Ladin is lacking).

As a funny example of this, we were in a gorgeous set of apartments (again an amazing spa) which was very Ladin. Our friends were staying up the street as we found out, and there the staff was Italian, although the motto on the hotel was in German (and in an old script -- Fraktur -- which most of the staff could not read). Quite a difference from Voels.

Anywho, we met our friends for dinner and then hiked the next day through amazing trails, where there are always huts for refreshment. I am putting a link to the Alta Badia map -- as trail runners looking to be off the beaten path the broken lines and those on the top of the peaks are best, although we had fresh snow at the top so on that day it would be a bit tricky. My bride almost lost her breath as I showed her one of the cable cars (look at the cable car almost top left by the sign showing the way to Cortina -- it is straight up a rock face several thousand feet). I hiked ok with a taped ankle and ever raced my 9 year old running up one of the trails -- down was a no go (and agonizing)

Our boys wanted to hike again but we were off to Venice the next day ... gelato time!

http://www.altabadia.org/website/var/assets/pdf/426.pdf

Sankt Kassian

The non dotted line trails

Lunch time!

The best

Let's get off the beaten path

wildflowers everywhere!

Glaciers in the background!

A nice bed with a Ladin greeting

Then Venice!

Dinner near the Rialto

LB2

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean when you write about huts where you get refreshments? I know what a hut is, and I know what refreshments are, but is there someone at the hut who provides you with refreshments? Do you pay for the refreshments? And what type of refreshments are available?

Anyway, those mountains are absolutely amazing. I would say that vacation is much better than Disney World, but I don't think I would ever want to come back.

LB2

Watoni

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean when you write about huts where you get refreshments? I know what a hut is, and I know what refreshments are, but is there someone at the hut who provides you with refreshments? Do you pay for the refreshments? And what type of refreshments are available?

Anyway, those mountains are absolutely amazing. I would say that vacation is much better than Disney World, but I don't think I would ever want to come back.

LB2 --

Take a look at the map that I linked ... in the legend it has a yellow symbol for "Rifugio aperto / Berghütte offen / Mountain hut open" Those show you where you can get food and drink and sometimes stay the night. The hut system ranges from mountain lodges that cater to skiers in the winter and hikers/mountain bikers in the summer, to more remote lodges that cater to ski mountaineers and hikers. At the more remote locations where you would spend the night if you are taking one of the classic itineraries such as Alta Via 1 or 2, you need to make reservations well in advance. Oh, and they cost money, but are fairly reasonable and the food is always quite good to excellent.

You can organize running vacations where the company makes the reservations in the huts and carries your gear, or you can DIY. We want to do a hiking tour with the boys in a few years.

Here is another link to hiking the Alta Via 1, with its overview of the huts:

http://dolomitesport.com/activities/hiking-2/alta-via-1/

Huts

The word “Hut” in Italian is “Rifugio”. On the maps you will see the abbreviation, “Rif.” There are also “Malga’s, some of which dot the map alongside the Alta Via 1. Malga’s are basically family run farms which may, or may not, serve food. Do not count on them being open.

For Americans, the Italian Huts will likely be remembered as much, or more, than the actual Dolomite landscape. They are remarkable in their service and comfort. The Dolomites make the journey along the Alta Via 1 amazing, but the huts cap the experience by making the overall experience quite remarkable.

LB2

Thanks.

LB2

Sandy-2

I've wanted to do a run/hike in that area for years now.  You're killing me with those photos.

Thanks.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

AT-runner

Tim

Keep 'em coming.  Great pics.  Love the language story.  I grew up in Irish family and know a good bit of Old Gaelic(Irish), but took Latin for years in school.  I'm good at reading different languages , but lousy at understanding spoken words.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The Dolomites have been on my list of hiking destinations for years. I'd love to see how they compare to Tyrol and the Bernese Oberland. For anyone considering a hut to hut trip, consider joining one of the Alpine Mountain Clubs. I believe members still get preference booking at the huts.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.