Trailer Trash

Saturday is a special daily (Read 50 times)

Birdwell

Morning folks!

Hope everybodies weekend is off to a great start.

I am getting the family loaded into the car and we're heading off to Zion National Park for a day of hiking.

We'll probably cover 6-8 miles, and I'll be carrying our 2 y.o. DD on my back the whole time, so it should be a good workout.

QOTD: pass

Irish Luck

On my way home from 10 miles in the Wissahickon with the mister and two other trail running friends. Brisk and overcast, but we had the trails to ourselves for most of the time.

QOTD: How many different places have you lived? Include college as 1 place, if you lived there.

Me: 6, correction, 7 - (6 in PA), Upper Darby, Aldan, Allentown, Media, Phoenixville (2 different houses), and a brief stint in Washington, DC.

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

Sandy-2

Got good news on the MRI yesterday, no tears, just confirmed that it was (is) tendonitis.  Doc said stop acting like a baby, start up slow and go for it. Ok he didn't say exactly that...  Roll eyes

Did 8 miles this morning, ankle felt fine, although I was sucking wind due to my 13 day holiday from running.  Now I gotta pack for a business trip.

qotd: 11.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

AT-runner

Tim

Beautiful run in the woods today.  Was in a nice twisty single track area and turned the corner and 3 turkeys were right in front of me and flew off (as best a turkey can) squawking.  Scared the crap out of me.  Sure got my heart rate up, so I'm calling this a tempo run.

QOTD:  10 places in 3 states (Maryland, Iowa and Pennsylvania) and DC.  My favorites was Davenport, Iowa.  Loved the Midwest people and lifestyle.  Very friendly and more laid back than the east coast folks, in general.

edit - Great news Sandy!

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Turkeys are strange birds.

I know most of you are tired of the cold... but today I actually got to run in snow for the first time (sort of, no snow on the trail, but it was snowing!). I was doing 1 mile hill repeats and as I climbed it would start to snow and a light dusting of snow on the leaves next to the trail would appear. Kind of neat. I miss snow.

qotd: BC, France, Korea, Alabama, Utah, Michigan, Florida (limited to states, provinces and countries I lived in for at least a year)

Pinhoti 100: Finished :D

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

When I got back from my run yesterday I took a good look at my shoes and realized they were trashed (NB MT1010).  Lugs were pulling off of both shoes and the upper was torn on both.  Only 119 miles on them.  I went this morning and bought the same shoes, except from a NB store with a very good replacement policy.  The owner promised me I would be happy with my purchase/customer service, so I'll give them another shot since there's not many comparable shoes.  The best part about going to the shoe store was chatting with the register girl, who I know to be Kip Keino's daughter...I've spoken to her a few times from which I've gathered that she's not a competitive runner, but her brother is currently in college and training to be an Olympian.

QOTD: PA, WA, FL,WV,AZ, now NJ.  These are the ones that I've been in for about a year or more.  I used to travel for work and would visit locations for a couple days to a couple years.  I wish I would have been a runner during those times.

**Ask me about streaking**

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I got out for a total of 21 miles this morning.  5:75 miles on pavement and and then a short drive to the trailhead for the rest of my long run.  I ran the first 5:.75 @ a 9:30ish pace and the 15+ on trails in a 15min/mile pace - nice n slow.  It was rocky, rooty and lots of hills - had them all to myself until the very end.  I had a strange pain in my right calf muscle that has me concerned.  We'll see how it is tomorrow.  Last thing I need is another injury.

Birdwell - soooooo jealous.  Enjoy! Hope you take lots of pics.

erbur - it's nice to have the trails to yourself.  The one thing that usually scares me most is other people of the trail that I don't notice until I am on top of them

Sandy - great news! (hmmm...what did the dr. say?)

AT - tempo it is!!

lynde - on my run I saw a very light snow but huge snow flakes....strange.

jamzilla - my Salomons are trashed...but just due to wear n tear...I think I am close to 600 trail miles but much of that was tough trail.  Me thinks I need a new pair soon.

QOTD: MA (for 18 years), college in PA, then lived in Phoenxville, PA for 2 years (your neck of the woods erbur), and then in the Harrisburg, PA area for the last 13 years (and counting)

Have a great day/weekend!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

18.2 today..0.8 with the dog, then 15.2 around Mercer County Park, along the course for what may eventually become "The Mercer Mud Run", through streams and puddles and thickets and around/over Hurricane ravaged trees.  A few tweaks and I'll have the course defined.  2.2 more along the bike path to hit my mileage goal for today.

QOTD:  NJ (4 places) and PA (2 places)

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

Occasional Runner

24 miles on Antelope Island. Brutal trail conditions today.

QOTD: 8 different states....WA, CA, NV, AZ, OR, FL, PA, UT.

Shoes_N_Shorts

Just here for the food

24 road miles at 11:19 pace. I stopped just a bit short, but then got another 2 miles of hiking in. It was pretty cold and windy, with just a small bit of snow blowing around.

QOTD: Let's see- Indiana, Louisiana, Maine, Wyoming, Arizona, and back to Indiana.

Uh oh... now what?

Soundly defeated in the pick-an-at-least-70-but-not-more-than-75-minute

route---70:39 to 73:17 (closest to the minimum or maximum wins)--I am

shamed, embarrassed, and eating a piece of pineapple/apricot upside

down cake to hide my sorrow.

QOTD:  Arkansas (4), California (5), Ohryghun (2), Tejas (2), Washington (3),

North Dakota (1), Missouri (2), Georgia (1), New Jersey (1), Louisiana (1)

Oh... sequence:  Arkansas, California, Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, Missouri,

[west Pacific], Georgia, Oregon, Arkansas, Missouri, New Jersey, Washington,

Arkansas, Washington, Oregon, Washington, Texas, Washington

Anyone else here been in all fifty states (longevity achievement)?

Low_O2

Happy Saturday all! Looks like everyone is getting in some good miles!

I had a great 20.3 mile, ~3800 ft elev gain run this morning with the dog. Tried a thicker mix of Perpetuem in a small flask today and it seemed to work well, energy levels stayed up till the end. It was one of those runs that make it so clear why we are out there for hours running down the trails, had an awesome time! Started out down in the foothills surrounded by Cactus and Juniper trees and then took a detour to the top of the Sandia crest. There was quite a bit of snow on the climb and only a couple other tracks which made for some slow going, but the views up top and bombing the snowy descent made the climb worth it. Ended it with some flatter miles along the foothills in very spring like temperatures. Wish I would have taken the camera along today....

QOTD: 5 places. Colorado was my favorite, but I'm finding NM is also a good place to be a trail runner.

NorthernHarrier

Well I did go do the Hawkeye 25k this morning. Felt good to get back in the game. A good effort overall but the last 5 miles or so were in nasty snow that was all chewed up- like running in deep sugar so that knocked this old coot off my planned pace but it still felt great to do it. It is a start.  Had a couple days up north prior to this and got in some good skiing and snowshoeing but now spring can show up anytime, sooner the better.

Loved the Midwest people and lifestyle.  Very friendly and more laid back than the east coast folks, in general.

Ah AT, that is really overstating the obvious! Big grin My recent roadtrip confirmed that yet again for me. People out west are also great.

QOTD- Homebody here. Born and raised in Madison and live here now. Back in the 80's I lived in Wausau and Minocqua up north for close to 8 years.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

QOTD:  Arkansas (4), California (5), Ohryghun (2), Tejas (2), Washington (3),

North Dakota (1), Missouri (2), Georgia (1), New Jersey (1), Louisiana (1)

Oh... sequence:  Arkansas, California, Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana, Missouri,

[west Pacific], Georgia, Oregon, Arkansas, Missouri, New Jersey, Washington,

Arkansas, Washington, Oregon, Washington, Texas, Washington

Anyone else here been in all fifty states (longevity achievement)?

Ok let's play a game.  Which one of these states is not like the others?  (Jersey? - really) I am not making fun of Jersey but certainly different life than all the others you have lived in.

I have not been in all 50 states but I have been in 30 something - I think I counted it up at 32 one time.  Lots of traveling when I was young....not so much now.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

NorthernHarrier

Yeah, is John asking about living in or have travelled to or thru, not flying over?

Only lived in the one but I have been in all but 4--Ak, Ha, Tx, Ok.. I'm sure I'll get to all but Hawaii as I have no desire to head there unless someone else is paying. I should do a road trip to Texas to run in one of the many fine trail runs there. One of these days.

Quite the group of nomads here. Nice.