Trailer Trash

Has anyone tried Tailwind? (Read 54 times)

http://www.tailwindnutrition.com/tailwind-endurance-fuel#.UX_BvaLkvyI

I've heard some rave reviews of this stuff on the Trail Runner Nation podcasts and from Sunny Blende, nutritionist for UltraRunning mag. I'm just curious if anyone here has tried it.

Interesting stuff. Everything is worth a try once. My next race isn't until June 15th so I may get some of this to give it a try during training.

Interesting stuff. Everything is worth a try once. My next race isn't until June 15th so I may get some of this to give it a try during training.

They say it's more "savory" than sweet, which I imagine is nice several hours into a run. I hate sweet stuff after a few hours. I'm going to order some and probably test it out this summer on long runs.

dpc3

Interesting I'm curious to see how it works for you. Seems high in sugars with no real calories (i.e., fat or protein). Gotta love finding that magic concoction that works for you. Report back soon.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Check the "Anyone tried combining S-caps and Endurolytes?" thread, there was someone who said they use Tailwind.

I'm about to try it, and compare it to the S-caps and Endurolytes combo.

Edit:

I checked the nutrional facts and ingredients, and for my taste, it's too much sugar and no protein, so not enough for me on really long runs. Basically the same as if you used gels plus S-caps.

The citric acid will help, maybe that's their "secret ingredient" (research has shown that 1g or more of citric acid can improve performance, but not necessarily over many hours), just as the Manganese and B-vitamins in the Endurolytes might prevent/help with cramping, and the buffers in the S-caps might help with an upset stomach (and provide a sufficient amount of electrolytes, similar to Tailwind).

For me, probably the combination of S-caps plus Endurolytes, plus Perpetuem or Sustained Energy, will work better, but it's probably not a bad idea to try Tailwind and perhaps combine it with some protein on 20+ mile runs. Nutrition and electrolyte needs are highly individual anyway, so it might work well for some people, and not so well for others.

Run for fun.

Interesting I'm curious to see how it works for you. Seems high in sugars with no real calories (i.e., fat or protein). Gotta love finding that magic concoction that works for you. Report back soon.

Worth a try. I had to have two mixtures this past weekend for my 100. Perpetuem for fueling and GU Brew for electrolytes. If I can get a one stop shop for fuel/electrolytes that would make life a lot easier.

I haven't had experience really with any long-term fuels so I'm trying to see what works best this summer. My one go with Perpetuem was pretty bad, I hated the paste-like mixture in a flask, so I will be trying it in bottles next.  I might get a few samples of this too, just to see what works best for me.  I'm not sure what my body will be able to handle after 6 hours. Also planning to give Sustained Energy a go.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Yes and I love it , had it out for @7 hours in 80+ degree weather last Saturday and felt great . I used Perpetuem for years and it never really agreed with me plus it's a huge mess to deal with . Tailwind goes right into your hydration bladder it doesn't get that nasty baby formula taste Perpetuem gets , doesn't go rank in the heat . I am also using Vfuel and the combination is working for me . I like the orange flavor . It might be worth trying the sample pack to see if you like it .

Edited to add - It doesn't taste sweet or sticky and the Vfuel is also very light . If you don't like trying to choke down thick sticky gels try the Vfuel .

Ultra Cowboy

My Ultra training partner is using Tailwind this season .  I tried a taste of it and it tasted too sweet for my personal preference.  From Lori's experience it works.  It will get some hot weather use this Weekend

WYBMADIITY

Save

AT-runner

Tim

I ordered the sample pack to give it a try.  I'm not a big fan of Perpetuem.  The taste gets to me after a while and it can be a hassle to deal with during longs runs in the heat.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

They had Tailwind at the Durango Double trail races last year - I think the company is local.  I liked it fine though it tasted a bit too salty to me.  However, I'm not super picky about energy drinks.

Sandy-2

Haven't tried it but have tried some strange stuff while running overseas. Best advice is to try it out during long training runs in order to see if you like it under "trying circumstances".

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL