Trailer Trash

I'm not starting the Thursdailies (Read 34 times)

jonferg67

Endless trails

Nothing to see here, kids, keep it moving.

I had a great 5 mile run this morning before the snow started, it was warm compared to

the single digit temps Tues/Weds. You know you're completely acclimated to winter when

30° feels like great running weather.

Someone elses turn for a QOTD.

LB2

Stomach is a complete mess. Weather sucks. I haven't run all week. And I don't expect to run until Saturday. I do have a 50K next Saturday, so I guess I needed the rest. But I wasn't planning to taper for this race because it is being used as a training run.

QOTD: Can you relate to the devastation some of the Olympic athletes must feel when they totally fall apart at the games? And how do you deal with things when it all falls apart.

I can only imagine how devastating it must be to train for so long and hard to have everything fall apart at the moment of truth. I DNF'd a 100 miler, and I was pretty pissed off at myself for doing things I knew not to do and for having weak math skills while overheated and pissed off.

Dealing with my minor disappointments is difficult. Time is usually the best thing, but along with that, I try to logically assess what I did wrong. Then, I make a plan to correct it.

LB2

sugnim

It's an icy, slushy, freezing rainy mess out here.  I'll be out in it for a quick 5 miles after work today.

QOTD: I can't really relate to the Olympic athletes on any athletic level, even disappointment.  I've messed up some runs and races pretty good, but nothing on the scale of an Olympic event with my career on the line and everyone watching.  (Well, I did have one experience of everyone watching.  I once had to stop to pee in what I thought was a private place on a training run with about 200 other people.  As the other runners came over the hill, they all stared at me and gave me strange looks.  I wanted to yell: "What?!  Haven't you ever seen a lady pee?!")

runtraildc

It's "thunder snow thursday' here in the mid-atlantic. We're at 12" of wet stuff, with it finally tapering off.    Did my cross training (shoveling) earlier.  I had hoped for a run in this stuff, but it's heavy and slippery out, so I fear that I'll end up just hurting myself, running in the streets with the out of control cars.  I'll see if the gym is open.

qotd:  not really.  I run for fun and health, and although it has been a lifelong activity, I cannot say I have that much in stake on winning (or losing).  I have the utmost respect for these athletes, especially after losing and getting on air to talk (i.e. Shani Davis last night).  Their composure and perspective is inspiring.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Yup...it's a nor easter.  Woke up to 5 inches, coming down 1-2 inches per hour of lovely white fluffy stuff probably for the rest of the day.  But I am at work! Why? I have no idea.  I brought along running gear in case I get stuck and need to run home.  In the back of my mind, I kind of want that to happen.  But I don't want to leave my car stranded.  Otherwise I am sitting here --maybe a few of us out of like 40+ that dared to come in.  They can't say I am not dedicated!

QOTD: No becaue they put EVERYTHING into their sport.  I can't say I have invested that much.  I know it must be amazingly devastating for them if they do not win.

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Morning all,

Snowing here.  About 8" on the ground and falling fast.  I'm working from home (kinda).  It's sooooo quiet outside.

QOTD:  I've never been well enough trained for a race to really have my hopes up high.  I was mad at myself after Ironmasters 50k last year because I had an opportunity to push my way into a third place finish, but didn't have it in me (mentally? physically? experience?).  I can't beat myself up too much as it was my first ultra.

**Ask me about streaking**

Daydreamer1

So here i sit at my desk watching the white fluffy stuff falling and swirling from the sky. We're more to the north west edge so we shouldn't get quite as much as some places will but it still needs to be shoveled. The whole family is home so we're getting on each others nerves but at least the shoveling will go fast. It looks like I'll end up splitting time between the bike trainer and the elliptical, unless the gym is open tonight and I decide to go there.

QOTD: I can't really relate. They train for many years for one big shot and then don't have another opportunity for another 4 years, unless you count other competitions such as World Cup events. For me I can fall apart but my next event is only several months away.  My athletic endeavors are secondary to my family and work life,  they have put everything else on hold to get to the Olympics.

When things don't go right for me my first reaction is to get pissed off, then I go into analyst mode. The only time I get really down is when I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

AT-runner

Tim

12"+ of snow and more coming down.  Ran snow blower for a while and then DW and I put on our screw shoes for a few miles on the empty but mildly plowed roads.  DS is off work and we might go skiing later.

QOTD:  I qualified in 1980 for the Olympic swimming trials in 200m and 100m butterfly.  I tore my left biceps tendon 3 months before the trails and had surgery that essentially ended my swimming career.  I would not have made the team (and they didn't go to Moscow anyway), but for me competing at the trails was my goal, and I missed out.  Years later I got to live vicariously through 2 of my swimmers who competed at the 2000 and 2004 trails.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Yup, same conditions here. After my big snowboarding week, I haven't been motivated to run. Bagged my run last night after having a fight with myself about it. I always believe that I truly know when I need a mental/physical break......so I stayed home with my pup and had some wine instead. I will probably try to get back out there tomorrow.

QOTD: As a former competitive gymnast & cheerleader, I can definitely relate. So much pressure to live up to one performance and not let down the team. Running is so far from that for me. There is so much less pressure because it's an individual sport. I think that's why I love it so much.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Well, we got our predicted 1 inch of snow, and then 7 or 8 more. Going to work was fun, slipping and sliding all along on highways which had not been plowed. When I went home, there was even more snow, and it's still coming down heavily. That's what I call real winter fun. When I lived in Europe, we had such snow often, so driving and dealing with it does not bother me that much.

QOTD: I can relate to some degree because when I was a kid/teenager, I did competitive swimming, track and field, and cross-country. I was not very good at staying focused, and my nerves often let me down, resulting in epic failures when I could have won. I always beat myself up over it, doubted myself, and second-guessed my choices for that day, or that competition.

The only times I was good and even set records was when I did not expect anything and therefore did not feel the pressure.

I admire athletes who can withstand the pressure, and I admire even more the athletes who fail and deal fairly well with it, after the initial disappointment. To train hard for many years, to put everything into that sport, but then fail must be devastating, at least initially. But to come back and try again at some other competition, perhaps succeed then, is very inspiring. I guess those athletes have some other goals in life, too, which keep them going.

Happy trails, and stay safe, everyone!

Run for fun.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I have an after work run planned with a co-worker...probably 6.  Did 6 last night.  They are clear the trees in the park so it sucked...very ugly turned the woods into a city park.

QOTD:    I can relate as I always dreamed of being in the olympics for downhill skiing.  When I fail,  drink and I get really mad at myself for blowing it!!!  I also drink when things went right and still get mad because I could have done better!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄