Trailer Trash

Pretend this isn't a triathlon thread (Read 40 times)

Birdwell

As much as I wish that was me, I think it was AT and/or his kids.  Unfortunately, I was never that good, but I did spend the first 20 years of my life in the pool and now have 'encouraged' my kiddos in this sport (they love it, really, so I'll add my two cents..

That's right, it was him. thanks for the reminder.

+1 to no cheap goggles and learning to clear them on the fly.

The Aqua Sphere goggles seem to be pretty popular with the tri crowd, for some strange reason. The elites and front runner seem to stick with more traditional goggles, but the mid to back of pack crowd love those clown goggles.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

The swim portion is why I have never attempted a tri.  I suck at swimming but have vowed one day to get better. I suppose I would actually need to practice for that to happen.  Having said that, there is a local tri (on City Island in Hbg for other PA folks) that uses the Susquehanna river as the swim portion.  They enter at the cement beach and swim down river.  Conceivably, one could float down the river.  This may be my first attempt one day at a tri for that simple reason (I wonder if they allow tubes?)

There is a local guy who manages a running/cycling store and competes in tris.  He has blown the field away in the sprint tris in the area so he started going out of the area to compete against some serious competition.  Just last year he competed in his first full Iron Man distance (Lake Placid - a qualifier for Kona).  He competed as an "amateur" and ended up finishing in 7th (I think).  He beat many "professionals".  He qualified and then competed at Kona. He finished 476 out of 1451 finishers.  Not bad for an amateur.  (He obviously is gifted enough to be professional).  His swim times are not fast (relatively speaking) but he blows people away in the bike portion and he is a strong runner.  Super nice guy too!

James - I have a strange feeling you will love the tri and do rather well in your first.  When you do, don't forget about the trail running...

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

NH- it is a man made lake...fairly large (I'll snap a picture today).  It is managed by the county parks department.  I purchased a membership ($12) and it costs $4 per trip.

boyjame- I don't think I'm at risk of going to the dark side...I could see doing this race on an annual basis, and completing a full IM could become a bucket list type of thing...I just can't stand the equipment costs of cycling (and tris in general).  I just dont have that kind of disposable income.  I also don't really care for the "changing clothes" contest that is part of the race...not something I'm interested in having to get good at.  I do think I will have a good time with this though.

**Ask me about streaking**

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I have never done a tri, but I have done a lot of open water swimming, and road biking, so here's my 2 cents on top of all the advice that has been given already (which is a lot of great info).

When breathing in the open water, do it a bit slower and more carefully than if you were alone in a pool. You might have to swim a bit slower to get your breathing more relaxed, but that will save you much time over inhaling water, coughing, and getting short on air for the rest of the swim portion (and beyond).

If you have trouble not 'panicking' and suppressing the urge to take a sharp breath as soon as your head gets under/into the water, it might be due to cold water that you are not used to. It should get better over time, and you can practice by purpuosely submerging your head and waiting for a moment, then breath out slowly, and then come up and take a breath. Repeat a few times, and do it every time when you start your swim.

Make sure you have tried out biking and running in the wet tri-suit and know how to prevent chafing.

For nutrition on the bike, I'd say eat what you usually would on a run. You will probably need less than for running, but you'll have to make up for the swimming, and get ready for the run, so eat like on a run, don't eat too much too close to the run, and treat it like an ultra.

Don't forget to hydrate, which is tricky after the swim because you don't realize how much water your body loses while you swim.

I also think getting a coach for a few lessons is a good idea. They might have good exercises for your breathing.

Maybe add a short (up to a mile or so) run after the bike training, to get used to how the legs will feel after the traansition, and learn how to deal with it on the first few minutes.

And don't let judgemental jerks discourage you. In the end it is your time that counts, not what your equipment looks like. And most important that you enjoy it!

Run for fun.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Thanks Couch,

There are some really good open water swimming programs in the city, but I think I'm too late for that.  Certainly something for me to keep in mind for future endeavors.

On another note...have you had any luck in securing a pacer for the last 22 of Eastern States?  I feel really bad about having to back out on you...not the way I like to operate.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Don't feel bad about the pacing!

I don't have a pacer, and I'll just go solo on that last part. I know what to expect (or at least, what at least to expect in terms of exhaustion), and I know that the hardest part for me then will be working on staying positive and motivated. So it will be a head game.

But I think it will be daylight again then, so things should be easier.

Thanks for offering, even if it didn't work out!

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

Yea, I'm a swimmer.  Also did dozens of Tri's in the 80's and early 90's.  You can cheat now and use a wet suit.

Like it's been said, don't sweat the swim.  The time between the fasted and slowest swim will mean nothing compared to the gap in the bike and run times.

Practice breathing "head-up" every several strokes.  It's the only way to get your bearings in the open water.

Practice with a wet suit / Tri suit if you are using one.  Stroke will feel different when you are wearing one.  The buoyancy of a good wet suit cannot be overstated.  They literally make the swim 30% easier.

Ultra running AS's will help you with transitions.  Get in and get out.

Tape any nutrition that you use to your bike and pull off as needed.

Drink once you get out of the water!  You may not feel like it, but you will be a bit dehydrated.

There is a good deal of scratching and grabbing going on early in the swim.  Don't freak out if someone grabs you.

When in doubt, compliment someone on their bike; Tri guys love to complimented on their bikes.  If that doesn't work, ask then how heavy their socks are.

For extra credit, take your rollers along and warm for the bike right next to your car.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

No wetsuit for me ($$$)...I did pick up a Sierra Trading Post purchased Tri-suit...it's gotta be easier to swim in than board shorts .  I think I just need to be super zen during the swim and not let anything bother me...I notice a huge difference in my ability to swim when I'm tense vs. relaxed.  I did a 33 minute swim the other day, which I'm pretty sure was longer than a mile...everything went well until I got a severe calf cramp.

AT-runner

Tim

No wetsuit for me ($$$)...I did pick up a Sierra Trading Post purchased Tri-suit...it's gotta be easier to swim in than board shorts .  I think I just need to be super zen during the swim and not let anything bother me...I notice a huge difference in my ability to swim when I'm tense vs. relaxed.  I did a 33 minute swim the other day, which I'm pretty sure was longer than a mile...everything went well until I got a severe calf cramp.

Calf cramps are pretty common while swimming freestyle as you build up.  Keep your feet (and hands) relaxed and flexible.  Tension slows you down and can lead to calf (and forearm) cramps.

If you have trouble with breathing head-up, you can always do a bit of breaststroke to see where you are going and to put a different stretch on your calf to lessen cramping.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I feel like I'm going to be pretty solid on looking where I'm going.  I've been practicing 4 breaths to the side and picking my head out on the 5th, taking a quick look, and right back to it.  There were some other people swimming yesterday and after watching what they were doing, I feel pretty darn good about my own swimming abilities...especially the "siting".

If I cramp like I did on Friday during the race it will be a loooooong day.  The calf muscle was sore for 2 days.  I'll keep working on staying relaxed...if I can't stay relaxed swimming on my own I have no chance when there's 50+ people splashing around me.