Trailer Trash

Possible Changes coming for R2R2R Runners (Read 44 times)

AT-runner

Tim

This has been floating around FB for the past 2 days.  Sound off about what the problems might be and the solutions.

Changes Coming for Grand Canyon Runners

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Watoni

Well, just having been in Europe, sounds like another example of Americans just not having their shit together. If people are respectful and people plan for multiple uses, things work out. Will there be a speed trap on the Grand Canyon trails? Will hiking more than x mph result in a ticket?

Don't get me wrong, the high Dolomites can be crowded in high tourist season; however, hikers, cyclists, runners, etc. seem to work it out just fine.

Birdwell

I've seen that.

I am of the opinion that more people (runners/hikers/tourists) need to be able to identify their own needs and have plans in place to take care of them.

I also believe that the national parks are the "people's land" and so long as they are able to take care of their own needs, they should be able to attempt R2R2R runs anytime they want, knowing that they're responsible to get themselves out if things go south.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Me thinks there will be an expensive permit coming for anyone wanting to R2R2R.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

Well, just having been in Europe, sounds like another example of Americans just not having their shit together. If people are respectful and people plan for multiple uses, things work out. .... Don't get me wrong, the high Dolomites can be crowded in high tourist season; however, hikers, cyclists, runners, etc. seem to work it out just fine.

Well said.  But it also seems that we have too many whiners on this side of the pond.  Talk about a "nanny state".

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Birdwell

Me thinks there will be an expensive permit coming for anyone wanting to R2R2R.

I've thought about that. The enforcement could get interesting.

Are they going to set a ranger on the bridges over the Colorado?

without a proper permit.

AT-runner

Tim

Probably more like this..

As slow as I'm running uphill these days, I look more like a hiker than a runner, so I should be good. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I'm glad I've got my R3 planned soon. Hopefully the witnits will come to their senses but...

example: people in our hood were bitching because some people had the nerve to use the grass in the park to play games on. 

You people have issues 

XtremeTaper

Seems the R2R is a bucket list thing and you see all these posts about it the last few years. Sure, I bet it's an amazing run/hike but I bet a lot of people are going into it unprepared. From the tone of the article it sounds like it must be road runners taking on the challenge.  Big grin

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Occasional Runner

I fail to see the attraction. When I ran it in January, I wasn't impressed my the scenery, I thought the trail sucked and it wasn't the epic challenge that so many people describe it to be. As far as an adventure run, it's below average in my opinion.

They should initiate a permit requirement if they're really worried about the volume of traffic. There's nothing unreasonable about that.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I think they will have some difficulties enforcing rules like that- hiking, fastpacking, running- where does one start and one end?  On my R2R2R I was clearly across all three (should add crawling as I went up the final ascent of South Kaibab! Big grin)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I fail to see the attraction. When I ran it in January, I wasn't impressed my the scenery, I thought the trail sucked and it wasn't the epic challenge that so many people describe it to be. As far as an adventure run, it's below average in my opinion.

...says the man who lives at the base of the Wasatch Range!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

I did it in May and am thankful for the opportunity.  For someone who doesn't run 100 milers, it was a significant enough challenge for me.  And an accomplishment that I was able to experience. I'd like to go back and do it again, but probably won't if they implement a permitting system.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

I did it in May and am thankful for the opportunity.  For someone who doesn't run 100 milers, it was a significant enough challenge for me.  And an accomplishment that I was able to experience. I'd like to go back and do it again, but probably won't if they implement a permitting system.

This right here is why I'm doing it.

And as far as the scenery, breathtaking IMHO.  Anyone who visits the canyon and is able should hike down to Skeleton Point on SK.  The views are simply amazing.  I've visited GC close to 20 times in my life but after my first hike down SK trail I had an all new appreciation for what the GC is.

You people have issues 

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Seems the R2R is a bucket list thing and you see all these posts about it the last few years. Sure, I bet it's an amazing run/hike but I bet a lot of people are going into it unprepared. From the tone of the article it sounds like it must be road runners taking on the challengeBig grin

::hrmph::

But at least I plan on being prepared.  

You people have issues