Trailer Trash

Spelling is hard (Read 47 times)

Uh oh... now what?

Just as the really hazy thought "Was that a root?" passed through some unnamed,

and seldom used, region of my cerebrum, I lost my balance.

I can usually spell the second sound, the sound you make as you hit the ground

and most, if not all, of the air leaves you lungs.

Whumph, whoomphhhf, ooufm. or some variation.

It is the first sound I was concerned with at the moment.  I was making it as my

eyes searched the landing spot for rocks (none), pointy things (none), and that

little distraction of whether or not I will miss the trail and finally find out what it feels

like to slide down two-hundred feet of grassy, but really steep hillside.

Maybe hnnuhhoumph?  Seems close.

I've got the right shoulder turned so I will land on my side,  Uh oh, I'm crooked

and I am going over the edge.  Am I above the lake?  Yeth.

Something like wahhnooumpurhk?  Maybe.

Ooumph?  Okay, some air is still in the lungs, but I am slipping over; grab

something... no, not on the downhill side, grab something on the uphill side..

you're already slipping down... huh? Anything, just grab something. Okay.

Got some vines.  Be still.

It was more high pitched.  Haennpheeeeng?  Yeah, that's real close.

Got balance back?  Almost.  Can I roll left?  Uphill?  No.  Slide your right hand

down and find a grip.  What are you doing?  Looking at the driftwood I'm going

to roll to a stop against.  No you're not.  Push with your right hand.  Okay... any

air around here yet?

Okay, I think "whaneieenungh" fits.  Yeah.  Can I roll over now.   Pull on the vines

a little.  Okay.  Will they hold?  I think so.  Only need a couple of inches.  Ready.

Go.  Push.  Okay?  Suck air?  Sure, go ahead.  Okay.  Yeah, I'm good.

Whaneieegungh followed by ooumph should do it.

How long you going lay here?

Not long.

What caused it?

This.

Not much of a root.

I can do a lot with a little.

Sandy-2

It's not that hard to spell what would come out of my mouth...  OH.......F.......U.......C.......K !!!!!!!!!!

(Sorry I couldn't resist, nice story and glad you're ok.)

tbd.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Sometimes it's all a jumble.  I can't tell the difference between the sound of hitting the ground and the sounds coming out of my mouth.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Watoni

I swear in German when I fall, so spelling is easy

jonferg67

Endless trails

Nice to know you're still having fun out there, John. That doesn't sound

like running gently though.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

It's always the little stuff that gets ya.  The only time I roll ankles on the trail is on the "easy" smooth sections.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Oooorrrmffpphh.  Sounds painful, John.  Glad everything is still intact.

Running is dumb.

Uh oh... now what?

I'm okay.  See?  Oh, forgot to download pics.  Maybe next week.

Sorry if it ends up sounding painful.  It was interesting how slow everything went

and I was analyzing what to grab to avoid going down the bluff and stuff.  My

shoulder took the brunt of the fall.  Thank you--tonight's challenge of packing

for the tomorrow's 12-hour at Redmond is more painful.  This?  That?  Some of

those?  Cold?  Wet?  How many?  Dark grey, almost black clouds over in the

direction we will go in the early morning's rain.

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

I have a head cam video of a fall I took; nothing exciting, just the normal stump in the middle of the trail caught my toe and I fell down on the dirt.  I'll have to phonetically analyze the first part of that and see what I get.  Something like Ahhhrggh-OOMPH! If I remember correctly.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

Ultra Cowboy

I can't add anything to all the well written explanations above.  Which begs the question:  If a trail runner falls, do the trees talk about it after?

WYBMADIITY

Save