Trailer Trash

The Long Run (Read 44 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Ever since I started running (only 5 years ago) I have struggled most with the long run.  I find that I have to plan for it.  I have to mentally prepare for it all week.  I think about what distance I want to do, what distance I can do (based on time I have or injuries), where I I want to run, what I am training for.  I don't know if I could just do an impromtu long run.  I know some who can and do.  I think the whole aspect is centered around the mental aspect.  For whatever odd reason I have to feel ready for it. Anyone else like this?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

I'm the same way.  The LR is the highlight of my week, and look forward to it.  Especially 20 milers, which i usually plan out to some degree depending on what race is coming up determines the terrain; road, flat trail or technical tail.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I use to until I had a running partner.   Then it's what day (sat or sun) and where.  Like jbyram2 said if you are looking forward to it then you think about it alot.  That being said I will be packing tonight for my long run tomorrow.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Occasional Runner

I used to be the same way Jamie. As a result, I just never really did enough of them and when I did, they weren't long enough. After I moved to Utah and got connected with my running group, it became a lot easier because there are at least 2 long runs planned by other people. I can check them out and jump in with whoever I want. Its made a big difference for me to have that option and now I'm running much more.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I used to be the same way Jamie. As a result, I just never really did enough of them and when I did, they weren't long enough. After I moved to Utah and got connected with my running group, it became a lot easier because there are at least 2 long runs planned by other people. I can check them out and jump in with whoever I want. Its made a big difference for me to have that option and now I'm running much more.

That is how I would like to be.  I would love to just "jump in" to a long run - cuz I have the time or because someone else is going and inviting me along  But with three kids, job, school, and more, I have to plan, plan , plan.  But yes I do look forward to it all during the week.

I am wondering if (or how) the body responds well to a spontaneous LR? I guess I am just trying to analyze the mental aspects and how they interact with the physical.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Snowdenrun

I don't plan my runs usually. I typically head out and see that happens, check my watch when I get back and map my run to see the distance.. My longest run at 20+ miles I took my hydration pack and just went. The "planning" I do is think to myself "I should get another long run in soon" and it generally happens. Works for me. If I were following a real plan I don't think I would have made it to day 2. I run a lot by feel, not by what a structured plan says I should be doing.

dpc3

Boyjame I am in a similar boat and plan my runs even during the week. I look forward to certain runs and some others not so much.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Sometimes. And for me, it is purely mental. When I'm care-free in most other areas of my life, I just go out and run, and throw in the occasional impromptu long run. Take the pack, some food, and just go out, see what happens.

If I'm under a lot of stress and time constraints, I tend to plan out every little detail, just to find some excuse shortly before I start out to (almost) bail out (most of the time, I can force myself, though, and then enjoy it).

It helps to tell myself that only 8, 10 or 12 miles are a "must", the rest is optional, and to provide an option to pick up some food somewhere (back at the car, or just take it with me "just in case" anyway). Those may turn into the best long runs.

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

definitely well planned, but definitely much looked forward to Smile

my impromptu runs generally are my shorter runs and usually exploratory in nature

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I set out to do a bit of an impromptu long run today...didn't plan it well and ended up only getting 9.5 (took 2.5 hours though).  I am generally more successful about completing a long run if I plan it.  I do feel like planning a long run is a little bit stressful.  Maybe 1/month for me.

**Ask me about streaking**