Trailer Trash

Advice needed re: 24 hour race and my schedule (Read 30 times)

KreegSauceRuns

I'm signed up for Massanutten 100 in May. I had a January 100k (only made it half way and dropped due to undertraining since I had the shin injury), then a February trail marathon on my home course, and a 50M race in April that were all leading up to it. These were already planned and thus made my decision for Massanutten a little bit easier (aside from the torture that will ensue). 

A friend just informed me of a 24 hour trail race on a 2 mile course at the base of Pilot Mountain within a campground. All of you know that I train on Pilot Mountain and so this race is literally 10 min. from my house. The race date is March 9. I have the trail marathon Feb. 16 and the 50M race on Apr. 20. I didn't have any races planned as long runs for March but had planned on doing an all day run of some sort (30-40M) one weekend. That is, until I found out about this race.

I figured that this would kill a few birds with one stone. A) I could get in my 'March' long run. B) I could get in my sleep deprivation/night running training. 

It's three weeks after the trail marathon, and 6 weeks out from the 50M. I think that there is plenty of time to recover for the 50M (the trail marathon won't need much recovery I don't think). 

My goal though wouldn't be to try and hit a certain mileage. Instead, to just be 'out there' for 24 hours and hopefully cover at least 100k and hopefully more. 

So my question to you all: Should I do it?

1/8/22 - Frosty 50k - 5:21:19 (strava)

3/26/22 - Blackbeard's Revenge 100 - 27:27:06 (strava)

9/30/22 - Yeti 100 - Abingdon, VA - 25:46:01 (strava)

4/1/23 - Umstead 100 - Raleigh, NC

mecrowe

Computer Geek

Even if you only do your 30-40 miles March long run......it sounds like it is worth while.  I say go for it.

I say as long as you don't get into racing mode, it'd be a great training run.  (Heck, even if you take it too fast you'll still have plenty of time to recover).  Getting in night-time running will be great practice!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

10 min from your house? No brainer! Go for it.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Messenjah

I would say do it. Just like EDRW said though, don't go into it with race mode and it'll make for a great training opportunity.

AT-runner

Tim

+1 no brainer!  Go for it.

+1 not to race it.

Run 16-20 laps, go home, shower then come back and help at the AS.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Do it, but if the Massanutten is your goal race, then maybe skip the April 50M if you feel fried by then?

The 24hr-race sure is a valuable experience with night running, exhaustion, and sleep deprivation, probably much more valuable than the 50-miler in April, and out far enough to give you sufficient recovery time (which I am not so sure about for the April 50-miler).

Run for fun.

KreegSauceRuns

Thanks everybody!  I signed up for it so I'm pretty stoked!  I'm just stoked that it's 10 min. from my house!

I have no intentions of racing it.  I really just want to get out there and get in my night running and sleep deprivation 'training'.  My wife worries about me night running and getting eaten by coyotes so this is a good way to get in the training with other folks around so it's 'safe' and she won't worry about me.

All these races leading up to Massanutten are just training runs for me.  The 50M is maybe a week closer to race day than ideal, but I would be fine dropping if I needed to.

1/8/22 - Frosty 50k - 5:21:19 (strava)

3/26/22 - Blackbeard's Revenge 100 - 27:27:06 (strava)

9/30/22 - Yeti 100 - Abingdon, VA - 25:46:01 (strava)

4/1/23 - Umstead 100 - Raleigh, NC

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I was looking at Massanutten's website a little closer.  I have to say I am impressed by their procedures (i.e. wait list and such).  They even have two "scholarships" for needy runners.  I have never seen that.  Impressive. I imkagine their attention to detail on the actual race day is also impressive.  I look forward to hearing about your experience in this event.  I would consider it for my first 100 (whenever I am able to do one).  It's closer to me than I thought.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday