Trailer Trash

Crappy start to training (Read 44 times)

Hi all,

I've been on 2 consecutive vacations and moved into a new house over the past few weeks, and as a result my training has fallen to the wayside. I know we all have down weeks, but I am feeling less than stellar about my base. I am 13 weeks out from my 50 miler and my peak mileage so far for this training cycle is only about 31 miles per week, with a 15 mile long run as my longest long run.

Do you think if I really turn it on now and nail some good mileage weeks and long run I will be ok for the 50? It is my first one and I'm having some confidence issues thanks to my recent low mileage weeks.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Yes you will be fine.  Are you still doing the 50k the end of September? If you use that as a training run (i.e. don't go out too hard) and get in some other 20 - 25 mile LRs, you will be fine.  My first and only 50 miler (in 2011 Stone Mill) I admittantly did not go beyond 40-45 mpw and many weeks in the 30-40 mile range.  And although it wasn't a stellar performance, I did it.  I had run (2) 50k races as training runs in the 8 weeks prior to the race though.  That may have helped my confidence more than anything.

But yes I think you will be fine.  But no more vacations and no more moving right?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

You and I are in the same boat.  I feel like I can still get it together in 11 weeks +2 for taper, but not if I don't get my act together soon.  My game plan is to just start putting in the work, and if at the end I don't feel ready...I'll bail on the $37.40 or give it a shot and suffer.  What's the worst that could happen? Big grin

**Ask me about streaking**

You and I are in the same boat.  I feel like I can still get it together in 11 weeks +2 for taper, but not if I don't get my act together soon.  My game plan is to just start putting in the work, and if at the end I don't feel ready...I'll bail on the $37.40 or give it a shot and suffer.  What's the worst that could happen? Big grin

Glad I'm not alone!  Hey, if you and I end up hitting the wall at Stone Mill, let's plan to hit it together, eh?

Boyjame - Thanks for the advice. Now that vacations and moving are over, I finally have the time and energy to completely dedicate myself to training like I did in the spring. I do have some weddings and associated events coming up but will have time for my long runs on weekends.

As for the Vermont 50k, I almost find myself more nervous about this than the 50 miler! Maybe because it's only 5 weeks out and my longest run has only been 15 miles.......but I'm planning an 18, 20 and 22er before then so I think I should be fine. Treating it as a slow, long run will be key, along with taking the uphills easy.

XtremeTaper

Time to get cracking! You have almost 3 months to prepare and have some races under your belt this year already. Use the late September 50k as a long training run since you are a bit behind instead of racing it. Plenty of time.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

You can do it and get ready if you set your mind on it.

I was in a similar situation last year before my first 50-miler. I had pneumonia, and then a bronchitis after a 50k in April, and did not run much until July. Just had caught up with the weekly mileage (not so much the long runs), when in August, I had my gallbladder taken out. Another week wasted on very low mileage.

Mid-August, I set my mind to work and focused on building the base again, and getting in some long runs (up to 35 miles). I was surprised how fast I "recovered" and built up that base, and how fast I was on the long runs. I think you have a great base, and some nice muscles built up (even though they might not be at their peak right now) from the Frisbee playing. It's just time now to ramp up the weekly mileage, and get in some long runs, and you should be fine for the 50. Believe in yourself, and work on the base, and the details of nutrition!

Run for fun.