Trailer Trash

[TR] Desolation Revisited - pics & nutrition analysis (Read 38 times)

Chnaiur

Some of you may remember my trip report from June, when I fell through the snow and hurt my foot. This weekend I went back to do that loop in one day. It was a great day, but I made an awful job of planning my nutrition. 

Here is the story, with some learnings and lots of photos: http://trailsanity.blogspot.com/

And, by the way, if you remember the dude who gave me a lift last time -- I went back and left a 12-pack of Sierra Nevada by his door.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Despite your nutrition glitch, I am jealous of this run. The scenery looks just amazing, and very different from what I have here. Great tour, and thanks for sharing the report, it is an interesting read.

To me, it seems the rough footing in some stretches also make for some slower pace, and of course, the altitude.

Isn't it interesting how a few hundred calories (carb-based) can change your day? I've raided my kids' lunch boxes, too, in a desperate attempt to get to some useful food! Embarrassed

Run for fun.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Wow, that run is just gorgeous!!!  Thanks for sharing!  How did you like the almond butter?

Running is dumb.

Chnaiur

Wow, that run is just gorgeous!!!  Thanks for sharing!  How did you like the almond butter?

The almond butter tasted awesome! It is deceptively sweet though. Taste-wise, it is easy to believe you could do a long run on almond butter alone, but that's not a good mix. Spreading one pack spread of butter over two tortillas is sticky, but a great mix.

I will definitely buy the butter again for long runs, but will have it be a smaller share of the total cals.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

Chnaiur

Despite your nutrition glitch, I am jealous of this run. The scenery looks just amazing, and very different from what I have here. Great tour, and thanks for sharing the report, it is an interesting read.

To me, it seems the rough footing in some stretches also make for some slower pace, and of course, the altitude.

Isn't it interesting how a few hundred calories (carb-based) can change your day? I've raided my kids' lunch boxes, too, in a desperate attempt to get to some useful food! Embarrassed

Thanks for the encouragement! I just can't help feel that I should be able to do it in eight hours. I'll see if I can get up there in September for a new try. It should be colder then, too.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Glad you made it injury free.  Your goal of under 8 hours makes me not even want to go with you in Spetember.  Surprised  Our goal is to finish it.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Chnaiur

Glad you made it injury free.  Your goal of under 8 hours makes me not even want to go with you in Spetember.  Surprised  Our goal is to finish it.

Hehe - company is worth a lot to me, so I can lower my imaginary pace for you. :-) Not sure I'll need to given that you're locals who can bounce over the rocky trails, and are used to altitude.

Btw, when you're self supported, you have to finish. :-)

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Hehe - company is worth a lot to me, so I can lower my imaginary pace for you. :-) Not sure I'll need to given that you're locals who can bounce over the rocky trails, and are used to altitude.

Well I am not a local to Tahoe, I live in Grass Vally at 2,500 feet.  Our plan is to do the point to point on the rim trail, not your loop.  Even when you are self supported; after a few days someone will come looking for you.  Wink

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

looks like a great place to run Smile

one of the reason I like carrying a bottle of Perpetuem is it gives me a little fudge factor concerning calories/carbs- a bottle w/ two scoops lasts me roughly 2 hours and gives me ~ 270 calories and 54 grams of carbs- allows me to eat some other foods that on their own merit might not be the best choice

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Chnaiur

looks like a great place to run Smile

one of the reason I like carrying a bottle of Perpetuem is it gives me a little fudge factor concerning calories/carbs- a bottle w/ two scoops lasts me roughly 2 hours and gives me ~ 270 calories and 54 grams of carbs- allows me to eat some other foods that on their own merit might not be the best choice

I'm really trying to avoid sports drinks. My teeth are a ruin after going down that path twice in my life. Maybe I need to make an exception for these longer runs, but I'm not there mentally yet. For now, I like rinsing my mouth with clean water after I eat something. Maybe I should bring a few scoops of Perpetuem as a last resort though.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Great report and pictures

Altitude is no problem but I don't bounce anymore .