Trailer Trash

Hiking during training (Read 61 times)

So I know a lot of us are trail hikers as well as trail runners (usually I'm both during longer  runs). I have an excellent opportunity to hike a 14 mile section of the Appalachian Trail with my friend this weekend, as she is section hiking every weekend. Last time I went with her, I ran by myself and didn't see her at all (she is a runner too but only shorter distances.) We are running a trail 10k together the day before the hike.

I am planning to go for the hike, and not run by myself this time. Part of the experience I want to gain from this is spending time with my  friend. My question is, how do you treat hiking in your training? As cross-training?  Do you build in mileage for it? Obviously it's less of an aerobic workout but I have a hard time dismissing the 14 miles all together.

Regardless, I'm going to have a great time no matter what. Smile

Time on feet is always good for something.  The extent to which it is "training" is relative to the difficulty of the trail.  8 hours bagging 2-3 14ers in Colorado, that's a serious workout.  4 hours strolling a tow path or rail trail, not nearly as serious.  AT would land somewhere in between, depending on the technical level and elevation gain/loss.

Ultra Cowboy

Well hiking has its own TYPE in the log.  I look at it as still being a valuable part of my training but not necessarily in the training plan.

Done in different fashions it can be :

Long Slow Distance training

Active Recovery

Hill work.

Gear testing

Fueling practice

Or just time well spent on the trails.

I think depending on how you run the 10k, that the 14 miles hike will be a good recovery and valuable training.  Have fun and log the miles how ever you see fit.

WYBMADIITY

Save

Uh oh... now what?

Regardless, I'm going to have a great time no matter what. Smile

This ^ ... good stuff, with friends, even better.  Fun and companionship is good for the heart, body, and soul... almost always.

Holden McGruyen

When I go hiking I like to just enjoy it, without considering it as training of any sort.  It's a "less left brain, more right brain" thing.

I'm Holden McGruyen. Would you like to join me?

I had the same issue when I moved into the "running/training" arena. (Of which I am still figuring out.) I'm a mountain climber/hiker at heart, and logging hikes just didn't mesh with my running schedule. To me, even though it is a good workout, its just something that isn't helping me "train" for running.

For an example, I had a summit I did a few weeks back during my HM training that took 2 days (backpacking in, set up camp, summit day two, packed back out) that ended up being 14ish hours of feet/snowshoe time, but on my training log for running it looks like I slacked off that weekend with no miles. Sad

Therefore, I've made it a personal point to not deprive myself of activities I love simply for a training schedule. A few minutes off a race time cant compare to the time I can spend hiking/climbing in the mountains. Just throw a mental asterisk next to the day. Smile

--D

I'll log it in *some* way. When I was first starting, I had AT issues but also needed to do field work during the summer and did other stuff in winter. Any *overdoing* something  could be a result of official training or volunteer fieldwork or whatever. I did a lot of run/walk or walk/run or whatever at the time.

My log (MS Access) was setup so I could keep track of everything, but total things based on whether they (1) were relevant to my running training or maybe (2) were contributing to total life and potential injury or fatigue. I may even include things like doctor's appointments where might have to fast the day before - so there's an explanation in my log for why the things I actually did happened or didn't.

Since some of my races include power hiking up mountains, I include that time in my training. If I just go for a hike, I'd probably log it as a walk. Since I've got HR data in my log, it's easy to tell about cardio benefits. Same with elevation.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I log them- using the RA training log under walking, cross country skiing and snowshoeing as well (unless I'm running on snowshoes! Big grin)

how they fit into a training regime is a much more difficult question; hiking obviously has some positive effect on cardio, but equally as obvious it's not a direct substitute for running.  I love to hike (and ski and shoe) so if the opportunity comes up to hike I just do it- I know I'll have plenty of opportunity to run later Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Same as Holden, I don't count it as training, just enjoy it.

Run for fun.

Great advice, all. My initial instinct was just to go and have fun, which is what I will do. Though I won't hit my "official" mileage this week, I've done several 20+ mile long runs on the trails in the past month and still have a couple left before my upcoming 50k. I'm averaging around 45 mpw right now and I'm actually feeling a bit overtrained so I think the hike will be good for me. Will post lots of pics on the blog!