Trailer Trash

Tics (Read 42 times)

GoRunDad

I am somewhat new to trail running as I started back in the winter.  Live in Florida so it is up in the 80's at this point.  Ran last night and noticed that I had about 10 little tics on me when I got done.  They were tiny and didn't latch on to me.  The still played mind games on me as even though I took an extra long shower and verified that they were all gone, I still felt like they were on me.  No cases of Lyme disease down here but it still.

Any tips or do you just deal with it.  Really don't want to go back to roads.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Just another annoyance to deal with.  I believe a tick has to be attached to you for 36+ hours in order to actually transmit the disease.  And yes, in Florida, you don't have as much to worry about regarding Lyme's Disease as those of us who live in my area and in the Northeast.

My dog was recently diagnosed with Lyme's.  I hate ticks.

Running is dumb.

runtraildc

Welcome GoRunDad!

Just to reiterate Mandy's point that deer ticks need to be attached for a while, and that not all ticks carry the Lyme pathogen. good to hear that ticks are only an annoyance and not health issue in Florida.   I hope they don't deter you from staying on the trails.  (it would be the alligators and pythons that might scare me off!).

sorry, you asked for tips-- I'll get to it.  a number of us have suggested using permethrin on your clothing (and gaiters) as one of the best deterrents.  when it's hot and you have a lot of bare skin, I'd recommend a quick wipe down on your legs and arms with a damp towel or wipe before you get in the car.

Occasional Runner

There's a variety of products out there that will keep them off you. Some products will even kill the little bastards on contact. They're not dangerous in Florida, but they're still creepy.

GoRunDad

"good to hear that ticks are only an annoyance and not health issue in Florida.   I hope they don't deter you from staying on the trails.  (it would be the alligators and pythons that might scare me off!)."

I hear you about the gators.  I got an email from my homeowner association last fall warning us about an eight foot gator on the trail by my house.  Not a good time to run unless you can run faster than 15 mph or are with someone who is 1 mph slower than you!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I would not rely too much on the statement that ticks are not a health danger in Florida. It gives some peace of mind as not to freak out when you find a tick on you, but you still should rather take precautions not to get bitten.

I use Repel with 40% DEET on the skin and spray my socks with permethrin spray. I have had tick bites very rarely in all my 38 years of trail running, but found ticks crawling on me several times.

If you take a shower after the run and check for ticks, your chances of getting bitten and having the tick on you long enough to have a significant risk of contracting Lyme disease (24+ hours) is low. However, other viruses and bacteria can be transmitted sooner, so rather not get bitten at all.

Have fun on the trails - alligators would scare me more than the ticks, too!

Run for fun.

Before you get too set on the notion that ticks are not a health problem in Florida, check out http://www.myfloridaeh.com/medicine/arboviral/Tick_Borne_Diseases/Tick_Index.htm

I think they can carry some disease just about anywhere there are ticks.

I am in a high incidence Lyme Disease area and have had it twice.  I am pretty sure that some of my long term health complaints are the result of it.  It is hard to say for sure though.  It is a pretty nasty disease in some cases.

We seem to get the most ticks on us here in the winter when there is an unseasonably warm day, but seem to get one once in a while on any warmish day year round.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

I see no real purpose to ticks.  Having said that, you can use a permethrin spray on your socks and shoes, and then spray something with DEET on your legs.  The pemethrin should not be sprayed on your skin though, so you pretreat clothing and let it dry.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.