Trailer Trash

Hammer Products (Read 76 times)

Messenjah

OK, so I really did look back through some of the old topics and can't find an answer. The 100k that I am registered for in April just switched from being sponsored by Succeed to Hammer Nutrition. I have been training with succeed drink mixes (Ultra & Amino) but wondering if I should now switch to Hammer mixes since that is what will be at aid stations?

If so, would you recommend the flavored or the unflavored for Perpetum? I don't mind the flavored drink mixes, but they get a little old after a while. Just wondering if the unflavored actually has a "flavor".

Occasional Runner

I'm somewhat obligated to comment here.

Yea, I would switch products, especially because of the distance. Unless you want to pack all your own product on race day, which is what I do frequently.

The Hammer products have very subtle flavors. This is done deliberately because strong drinks, gels, etc., get to be overwhelming in long endurance events. I use flavored Perpetuem and I pretty much like them all.

Make sure you understand the products. I would suggest visiting the website and reading about them. You can also call and discuss your fueling needs and strategy with consultants at Hammer Nutrition. They're really helpful.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I'd switch, just to become familiar with the new products.

Hammer Nutrition offer single-serving packets on their website, so you don't have to buy large quantities just to try it out and see if it works for you.

If you plan to rely mostly on the aid station offerings for food (and therefore the Hammer products), you should compare how Hammer's products compare to your usual products in terms of energy and salt content. However, this is not always reliable, as the dilution is important, too, and races do not always specify how they dilute the powders (some do, though, and you may ask the RD).

The "unflavored" Hammer products Sustained Energy and Perpetuem taste like chalk, absolutely no real taste, but palatable if you are not picky. The flavored products usually have a subtle taste, which I like. Exception is everything with "expresso" or "coffee" flavor, I find these quite spicy.

For a drink, I use Hammer HEED lemon-lime flavor, and even though I usually hate lemon, I like this drink.

I use the orange-vanilla perpetuem, and I like it. You may also try Sustained Energy (ask for it as a sample), for me, this works better after I've gotten fed up with perpetuem after some time (perpetuem feels "heavy" for me due to the protein and fat content, so I often alternate perpetuem and sustained energy on very long runs).

Also note that the Endurolytes contain about half the electrolytes of S!caps, but the Endurolyte Fizz tablets contain the same as two Endurolyte capsules.

Run for fun.

Messenjah

I found out from the RD that it will be HEED that will be offered at all of the manned aid stations (4 total AS's for each 20 mile loops). I plan on relying primarily on the AS's for real food and Clif Shot gels when on the trail. Now, I noticed on the Hammer website that you can use 1-3 scoops of HEED for up to 24 oz bottles. Good strategy?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I don't know about your race, but in the race I ran, the HEED was offered already diluted, I think it was something like 5 kcal/oz, which corresponds to 1 scoop for 20 oz. of water. So if you drink 24 oz/hr (3 cups/hr), you'd get 1.2 scoops of HEED product with it.

You'll have to do the math for your race, and estimate the calories etc. you get from the HEED for the estimated amount you'll drink per hour.

If you've been training with Succeed products for nutrition, you can probably make a multi-hour bottle with the Ultra or Amino products?

I did this for my 50-milers. I actually had the amount of powder for 2-3 hours in bottles in my drop bags at the aid stations and filled them with water when I got there.

If you don't have that option, I'd make a bottle that takes me through a few hours, and rely on solid food or gels from the aid stations after that.

For electrolytes, I'd stick with what had worked well in training, and bring my own, as they don't take up much space or weight.

Run for fun.

On On

The aid stations will probably have pre mixed the HEED for you but may have more available if you want it stronger.  The RD may know what the mix should be on race day (volunteers sometimes take liberties and make it how ever they want) and be able to tell you how much you should be getting in each hand held.

The normal mix for an aid station is one large container of mix for 5 gallons of water.  They say that is 80 servings.  If you want it a little stronger just ask for more mix.

I personally like the Mandarin Orange flavor the best but the Strawberry HEED works well for me during a race too.

Messenjah

Just figured that I would give ya'll an update. I bought a 6 pack of the the mandarin orange HEED at my LRS and LOVE IT!!!! The flavor is just sweet enough and seems to work pretty well. My only question is about how much it foams up. There was a ton of foam near the end of the run. Is that normal?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

The less amount in the bottle, the more it foams up, that's my experience. I wouldn't call it a ton, and I get almost all of the drink out without foam. The 1-2 tablespoons of foam at the end eventually dissolve, so you can still get maybe one more sip of liquid. I call it the emergency supply. Perhaps that's what it is designed for? Clown

Run for fun.

Messenjah

Hilarious!! I bought the individual packs to try it out so I put in the entire pouch in a 22 oz bottle.

I call it the emergency supply. Perhaps that's what it is designed for? Clown

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I think the single serving packets are made for something like 16-24 oz. of water, so you should be fine.

I meant that as the amount of liquid in the bottle decreases, the more it foams up (probably because there's more air in the bottle to mix with).

I usually take 1 scoop for a 22 oz. bottle.

Run for fun.

Messenjah

I have to report back. I did a 50k yesterday with Heed as my primary drink (2 bottles HEED and 2 bottles water), 3 Clif Shots, 3 S Caps and 1 package of Clif Bloks and I feel freaking incredible the day after. I got the Mandarin Orange and it was great. No cramping. No muscle soreness today or anything. I think Hammer has a new customer.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

lace_up, have you tried the new Perpetuem Solids?

Did they change the formula of the solids this year? From what I've heard, they were something like dried-up gel-like last year, and are chalk-like this year?

Run for fun.

Occasional Runner

lace_up, have you tried the new Perpetuem Solids?

Did they change the formula of the solids this year? From what I've heard, they were something like dried-up gel-like last year, and are chalk-like this year?

I use them and don't think they're chalky at all. I usually put one in my mouth and let it dissolve as I drink. I like them a lot, but prefer the mix.