Trailer Trash

Was I In Danger? (Read 78 times)

ceezy

Wow...incredible.  Glad things turned out ok.

The fact he was "keeping" up with you is amazing...would have thought you would have dropped him once you hit a 7:30.

I have had kids start to run beside me just messing around but due to the time of day and the fact he really tried to keep up with you as much as he could is alarming.  I think I would have had to glance at some stage to see what he was up to...perhaps the fact you felt threatened enough not to even have a look tells how serious this event was. 

Snowdenrun

Whether you were actually in danger or not your gut told you something was not right and you reacted to that. I never ignore my gut reaction. When crossing paths with people I most always try to make eye contact. If I'm running past sketchy people I always look back. Instead of trying to look unconcerned I always look back to (hopefully) let the person know that I am aware of my surroundings and will not be caught off guard if they try to do something weird.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Yes.

He was up to no good at 4:30am chasing a lone person . You are lucky you didn't have headphones on and could out run him . You should report it to the local police , next time could be a woman who might not be able to outrun him or someone who has headphones on.

Yes, you were in danger. Assaults on runners usually come from behind.  It is possible that the guy had seen you running in the area in the past at that time of day with your iPod and figured you'd be easy pickings for theft, or he just thought he could rough you up or sexually assault you (it does happen to men), or he was just messing with you.  There is nothing innocent about this whatsoever.  Regardless, consider changing your routine for the next couple of weeks, and consider carrying some form of personal protection.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

And people say trail running is dangerous!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

tjrun

And people say trail running is dangerous!

People say this to me all the time, but really I'd rather take my chances with the animals with 4 legs anyday.

Glad everything turned out ok.  Scary!

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

that sucks!  maybe a canister of pepper spray???- it's taken the fight out of everyone I've had to dose Smile

it does however remind of a incident from my wayward youth- we were throwing snowballs at vehicles going by when we whacked one pretty good, the driver slammed on the brakes and a 20-something guy jumped out of the car (quicly) we skedaddled in various directions figuring the chase would end quickly.  for some reason the guy honed in on me, so I picked it up a notch, only to hear footsteps getting closer- now the adrenaline really starting kicking in- I was running for my life (or so I thought), he just behind me, he wasn't gaining or fading, this went on for close to a 1/4 mile, pretty soon I could hear his breathing getting heavier and slowly he began to fade and eventually gave up.  I was 10 or 11 at the time and that was the last snowball that I have thrown at a car Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Occasional Runner

I've pretty well wore myself out on that route anyway and had already lined out 2 new routes to get to the gym. It's probably time to employ them.

Maybe I can get Salomon to customize a shoulder holster for my hydration pack. Utah is a Constitutional Carry state, so I can pack openly. As I'm typing this, I'm realizing exactly how cool that would be.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Maybe I can get Salomon to customize a shoulder holster for my hydration pack. Utah is a Constitutional Carry state, so I can pack openly. As I'm typing this, I'm realizing exactly how cool that would be.

My .380 fits perfectly into the right hand front pocket of my Nathan pack .

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

several of the the smaller .32 and .380's you can get w/ an optional pocket clip, would slip in just about anywhere

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Just make sure you don't trip when you are reaching for the gun just to check if it's still in place... Black eye

Run for fun.

ceezy

Something like this?  Just don't mixup which one you grab.

NorthernHarrier

Well even Mary Decker-Slaney was once run down and if I remember right her wedding ring was stolen. Usually the bad guy does not give you advance warning. Have to be street savvy out there. Next time just shoot the SOB and make up a story. I'll be your witness. Wink

Coastal

Yes, my bet is that you were in danger.

Most people wouldn't have kept up with you at all at your paces, so maybe he was on something which gave him the extra boost.  At any rate, this wasn't some 11 year old kid trying to pace you.  Call the police and report it.

Watoni

You bet you were ... be careful out there

I was followed from the train station in Nice, France when I arrived late a night as a young kid (19) with all my stuff (there for a few months to learn French). I had been warned the train station was pretty dangerous and that crime was pretty bad in Nice (for a French city). The guy kept getting closer over the course of a few blocks and nobody else was out.  It being France, there was an empty wine bottle on the street so I picked it up, smashed the thick end against the wall, spun around and yelled (in English, my first French class was the next day) ... I am from LA, I will %$##$%% kill you! He left. If we were in LA he would have just shot me.