Trailer Trash

Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 50 m (Read 30 times)

Gator eye

Short and only version

It was a cold and windy 12 degrees at the start with about a foot of snow on the trail with a 1.5 foot wide path carved out to run in with a couple inches of loose snow in the bottom of the trench. A short out and back with 3, 15 mile loops through rolling hills in the woods. Probably was some great scenery but I wouldn't know I was to busy staring at my feet. At the start the whole group played follow the leader and got lost within eye sight of the starting line, then we turned around and repeated the same mistake again. The course was well marked but I guess there wasn't a boy scout amoung us. I ran when it was fairly level I walked any steep hill. The aid stations were well stocked from the first to the last with slushy water and gatoraid and your normal race type food. The volunteers were great, very friendly and helpful, trying to fill every request, even though I never got the snowmoble I asked for, they stuck with it to the last person in temps that would of sent normal people running for home.

I finished in 10:47 that put me in 9th place over all and 3rd in my age group. They had great bling with snow globes for finishers and a neat snow flake trophy for age group winners. The shirt is even a decent color I will wear when doing things besides running. I would show you pics of all these great things but it was cold and I didn't want to take my mittens off to work the camera phone.

The weather made this one of the toughest races I've done with the out come in question right up to the point of no return on my 3rd loop. At the end of the second loop when I was trying to change my wet and cold socks with painful cramping toes I almost called it quits but after a little break I found myself heading back out for the final 15 miles. I mean what's 15 miles right? HUH! The last 6 miles I just fuckin froze, I would have quit except I had to get back to my truck which was 6 miles away. My legs felt weird and didn't want to move right my feet felt like blocks of ice hitting the ground and my ears were ringing. Those 6 miles have me rethinking most of my future running goals. in the aftermath, my feet feel like I'm walking on glass and my legs are more stiff and sore than I expected.

Over all it was a very well run race, with the ice storm and extra snow the RD had to deal with he did a great job of pulling it all together with the help of some great volunteers,  I can't wait to get back out there for one of their warmer weather runs.  Oh and the chille at the end was to die for.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Brutal!  Congrats on getting the finish and the AG award.  Extra kudos to the volounteers.  I don't think a winter ultra will ever find its way onto my race schedule...that sounded rough.  I'm guessing a lot of drops?

**Ask me about streaking**

Great job! Especially in those conditions! Yikes.

AT-runner

Tim

Wow, sounds like fun.

Did you have on micro-spikes or any other traction aids?  With the soft snow, I'm sure you had a lot of foot slippage and that gait change would make the legs feel wobbly.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

That sounds fun! Thanks for sharing.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Chnaiur

Damn, sounds rough. Great job pulling through!

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

muppy

Nice job Gator eye! Way to push yourself to get out for the 3rd loop, and you got 9th OA and 3rd in your AG, congratulations!

Gator eye

JameZ- I think around half the field finished.

AT- I used sheet metal screws in the bottoms but they didn't help out much in the soft snow.

Thanks everyone.

Low_O2

Nice job toughing it out for a solid finish! I like running in snow, but that sounds rough!

moonlightrunner

gator..do u live in the hastings area? Kazoo? I considered that race when the marathon was canceled in indianna...sounds like it was brutally fun!

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Gator eye

I live on the east side of Michigan, it was a early morning wake up with a 3 hour drive to make it to the start line.

Now that my aches and pains are fading fast from my memory I'm glad I did it.  I will probably put it on my list for next year with a backout clause that if the weather is this bad again I not going. LOL

They really had some great people working the aid stations, I think with the weather they were being extra watchful for people in trouble.

Watoni

I love it .... what a race