Trailer Trash

Thimble full o' Thursday (Read 31 times)

Snowdenrun

I have come to the conclusion that I am starting to dislike technology more and more. While a necessary evil in my job I find I am using my smart phone less often, getting on the internet less often ( hell I only look at 4 sites as it is), etc. Has anyone else gone through this?

I think this all the time. I have a very short list of websites I visit. Sometimes when I have a few extra minutes I try to search the web, but I never end up anywhere different. I know there are millions of interesting things on the web but I never come across them. But god forbid if my internet goes out for a night.

sugnim

I am jealous of all who can nibble fruit mid-run.  For me that would be, um, messy.  To say the least.

AT-runner: All is well with both, and we are expecting a super-active, happy healthy baby boy!

DPC: It's good to get away from all the gadgets and gizmos sometimes.  There's often nothing more refreshing, in my opinion, than a week in the woods with no computers, phones, internet, etc.  It's like remembering what it's like to be human again.  On the other hand, technology does make many things easy, so it does have its place, but it is good to keep it in its place.

Northern: In my opinion, texting is nice when you don't want to have a long phone conversation.  When you text, you don't have to do all of the small talk, how-are-you-I'm-fine stuff.  You can just get to the point, and with some people, that can be a real time saver.

DigDug: Wild Snickers!  I need to run some trails in your neck of the woods!

Queen: Ha!  Dog piss berries!  I've never had any that tasted doggy, but I've had some huckleberries that tasted exactly the way black bears smell.  Uck!

dpc3

Oh I don't have a problem getting lost in the woods with no connection to the outside world, it's the constant use, misuse, overuse, reliance of technology I am more frustrated with. Hell for 2 weeks in January I will be trapping Sandhill Cranes in SW Arizona, but I will be putting on Satellite backpacks on them so I can track them on my computer whenever I want. In the old days I would be out in the field or up in a plane tracking them. Now I can do that from the comfort of my desk. This is a benefit of technology but I just miss simpler times when we weren't so reliant. People even look at me funny when I walk into their office to talk, they ask me why didn't you just IM me.

DPC: It's good to get away from all the gadgets and gizmos sometimes.  There's often nothing more refreshing, in my opinion, than a week in the woods with no computers, phones, internet, etc.  It's like remembering what it's like to be human again.  On the other hand, technology does make many things easy, so it does have its place, but it is good to keep it in its place.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Late check in, and no run (yet) to report. I woke up at 3:40 a.m. and considered heading out for a longer run, but then realized that I had no clothes for work, so I started the laundry and skipped the run. Well, at least the clothes got done...

Overslept then, because that darn alarm clock defied me and did not go off. Could have gone for a run instead of that nap, and been home in time to easily get ready for work... Sad

Could have, would have, I'll head out for a few miles in the wonderful weather later in the evening!

QOTD: I don't know too many wild berries or fruit, just Hazelnuts (not around in PA), raspberries, and black berries. I don't trust "blueberries" because I am so bad at memorizing what the real berry looks like that I'd easily get it confused with other, poisonous berries, so I don't pick them often. Only in my tested, approved and trusted "blueberry spots" (which reminds me, time to run up there again!). But when I'm in the mood, I'll stop and pick some.

dpc: I get tired of it sometimes. I use technology and all those gadgets a lot less than what I used to ten (or so) years ago. I don't even own an mp3-player (or ever use one), and I have just a dumbphone. I don't use a GPS (if at all, it's the car's navigation system, and that one gets me lost every other time I use it). I don't use Skype because I find it too funny to stay serious, seeing people's faces on a screen when I'm talking to them on the phone. I hate videoconferences at work, they are so awkward (but sometimes inevitable). I never text while driving because I don't even know where all those buttons are on my phone. Only person I text to is DD (teenager, you get the idea).

I'm just old-fashioned, I guess.

Run for fun.

NorthernHarrier

Northern: In my opinion, texting is nice when you don't want to have a long phone conversation.  When you text, you don't have to do all of the small talk, how-are-you-I'm-fine stuff.  You can just get to the point, and with some people, that can be a real time saver.

Queen: Ha!  Dog piss berries!  I've never had any that tasted doggy, but I've had some huckleberries that tasted exactly the way black bears smell.  Uck!

Oh, I know texting and other technology has it's place and purpose--I just like to be contrarion and do a little bitching when I can  Smile.

Queen, I have a bunch of wild raspberries around my shack but with a 60lb male Springer roaming about I too am pretty careful about where I pick my berries. I'm also careful about where I personally water the foliage too. Wink

Oh and as far as the Tahqua 25k--we'll just say I survived intact and it will be a good stepping stone to getting back to where I once was but holy crap, have I'm become slow.Embarrassed  This is going take a little work but I'll embrace the challenge.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'm now officially the tuck in the bed trailer Big grin  7.5 miles in the hills, arriving back at my doorstep after dark; hard to believe we are in the low 50's in the mornings and mid 90's in the evening- not enough daylight in the morning to get a run in before work, have to wait until almost sunset to run in the evening and then run out of daylight on the trail- my night vision is getting better though Smile

qotd: no grazing while running, but I do use it to my advantage as a scouting mission and come back to harvest them later-huckleberries being the prized species

what's technology Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

DigDug2

I'm now seeing banner ads in this thread from "berrihealth" selling "freeze dried black raspberries."  I think someone is watching...