Trailer Trash

Twinkling Thursdaily (Read 24 times)

Daydreamer1

The last two runs were night runs. Last night was a beautiful night with twinkling stars. This morning I'm looking out over my deck to the twinkling of the sunlight on the snow. As much as I hate the cold there are some nice things about winter.  Planning on somewhere between 6-8 miles later today. If I wait until night to go again it will be my normal 6.3 mile loop, otherwise I might go for as high as eight miles.

QOTD: Where were you 30 years ago today?  I was sitting in a hospital getting X-rays of my foot after a work injury. Nothing major except a nurse came running into the waiting area with a horrified look and gasped "Oh my God, the Challenger just blew up" . DW and her mother were actually in Florida that day at a motel where they were going to watch lift off. It was so cold they thought it was cancelled so they went back inside and didn't see it happen.

Now I realize that some here may not remember that far back so I'll throw this one in as well. Where were you and what were you doing on February 1st,  2003?  I had just come home from a long and brutal night shift. Looked at the internet and saw that the Columbia was late and communication was lost. I was so tired that I went to bed and only found out that it had burned up when I woke up 4 hours later.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

We're supposed to have a high of 36 degrees today, so I am looking forward to my after work run tonight!  I like it when the air doesn't hurt my bare face.  Will probably run 6-7 miles or so.

QOTD: Well, 30 years ago I was about to turn 3 years old, so I was probably running around and playing with toys and watching Sesame Street while driving my parents crazy.

February 1st of 2003 I would have been a sophomore in college.  I was probably just starting spring semester and living my last year in the dorms.  Since it was a Saturday, I was probably hanging out with the girls on my floor, or maybe I was visiting home for the weekend, who knows!

Running is dumb.

Wandering Wally

Planning 4-5 miles tonight. Winter is so grey here. I am not a fan. It does make me appreciate the little sunshine we do receive. Being on the leeward side of Lake Michigan means we live downwind of a cloud machine all winter.

QOTD: In french class. We had just got out of an assembly and while waiting for everyone to arrive the teacher turned on the TV to watch the launch. We ended up not doing any study of french that day. On 2/1/03 I was on my way to work, listening to the radio and heard the report about Columbia. It was a somber day at work.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

AT-runner

Tim

Ran 6 miles on a logging road. If the snowmobilers hadn't been out, I'd be stuck inside.  No run yesterday since Battlefield roads weren't cleared yet. I guess the National Park Service has other things to do.

QOTD:  30 years ago, I was a grad assistant and had just come in from teaching a chemistry lab and turned on the TV, just to watch the launch. I wanted to watch because my grandfather was spending the winter in FL and was parked on the side of the road watching the launch. I had talked to him the day before and told me his plans, so I thought I'd watch along with him.

Feb 1, 2003. This I remember all too well because I was coaching a swim meet when we heard the news during warm-ups. After the meet, I went for a run and came home to watch the news. I got up out of a chair got very light headed and fell over, splitting my chin wide open. Went to ER where they thought I'd had a heart attack since my BP and pulse were so low. This is when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

runtraildc

Got in 6 miles on the plowed, paved biker-hiker trail.  My least favorite route as it is quite boring, but it was quiet and I didn't have to worry about sidewalks and roads.

qotd:  1985- freshman in college, watching the launch live.  2003, I have no memory of the Columbia-- I had a newborn and was just returning from maternity leave.  Keeping him (and toddler other son) alive, and managing to get thru work day was all I could muster.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

hill repeats last night and if the soreness of my legs are any indicator, then it was a success 

SRD- ran four days in a row, a semi-record for me

qotd: I was stationed at Malmstrom AFB in Great Falls (my recruiter in Butte said join the Air Force and see the world, I guess he meant to say the other side of the divide!) riding in a patrol car when we got the news

2003: I was watching the live coverage before heading to work (Miles City)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Queen of Nothing

Sue

gym at lunch and somewhere I am going to work a run in..mostly likely 5 after work before I go home.

QOTD:  30 years ago I was teaching my first year of English.  My classroom was the band room so the desk where staggered up.  Someone came in and told us about the crash.  02/01/2003 I do not recall.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

XtremeTaper

More road miles today... yippee!!!!!! Not.

7 miles, 2.5 with the Lady. Checked out my dirt road connector. I use that road to hook up some more interesting road routes. No plowed, and thus had 1/3 mile of uphill post holing. At the top of the hill, there was a car stuck in the road. A lady was sitting in the car, waiting for her husband's truck and winch. She was stuck pretty good. No way I could have pushed her out myself. I went on my way once I knew she was covered.

QOTD:

1986, I was still living in the high desert of PA, laboring as a night shift hospital computer operator.

In 2003, I was living here in PA, the same house, the same job as today. I started training for my first marathon that winter with a group from my health club. My running log shows we had our first group "long" run on Feb 1. It was a whopping 8 miles. I remember there was snow and ice on the road when we started and people in that group were much slower than me, except for one cute young gal, who I chased the final miles but she kicked my ass.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Gator eye

Rest day, wind was blowing to hard for a outside run and the treadmill didn't have enough appeal to get me out of bed

QOTD. Quantico VA, in the barracks watching on tv.

bagge_pants

just 30 min very easy jogging and pausing and stepping - thought the farm trail was do able - nope, very dangerous with the ice

QOTD: I was four and attending preschool three days a week. I remember learning how to spell a couple words. I got pinched by an earwig. I was into drawing people with guns and knives and tanks. I did puzzles every morning. I ate a lot of homemade yogurt.

in Feb 2003 I was freshly 21. I was employed at Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf in Redondo Beach. I was skateboarding a lot.

Sandy-2

Plan to do about 5 mi after work today.

Qotd 1: 30 years ago I was living in Korea . . .     I was giving a colleague a ride into the office when he said that the shuttle went down.  At first I thought he was talking about one of the local shuttle flights between Busan and Seoul.

Qotd 2: I was standing on the starting line of a local 5k, suburb of Houston, for the first time it had a space-theme logo and tee shirt that year.  They made an announcement which was for most people, like me, the first time hearing about it.  Quite somber with a moment of silence.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL