Trailer Trash

WSER Qualifying (Read 60 times)

Why couldn't they put together another run that is first come, first serve on the same course later or earlier in the year and call it something else?

Probably wouldn't be able to get a permit to go through Granite Chief wilderness area. WSER is grandfathered in to that with a max number of runners based on how many they had before it becoming a wilderness. 2nd paragraph  http://www.wser.org/lottery/

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
    Chnaiur

Agreed that I have no stake...  but disagree on WSER becoming the place where elite go to compete - it seems that this is the race director and board of trustees discretion, and they've been pretty stalwart about NOT letting every elite that wants in get in.  Win or 2nd in a Montrail race, top ten at WSER, or it's lottery for you.  Now maybe the plan here is to increase the elite traffic at the other Montrail Races, and if that's the case, I think it's pretty cool of them.

Isn't what we're debating here what we think the policy should be? Obviously, none of us gets a vote.

My main point is that it is OK to have some races be elite races (it doesn't have to be WSER). They can exist just fine along with all the community-based races that only are about the challenge and joy of running far.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

SillyC

Isn't what we're debating here what we think the policy should be? Obviously, none of us gets a vote.

My main point is that it is OK to have some races be elite races (it doesn't have to be WSER). They can exist just fine along with all the community-based races that only are about the challenge and joy of running far.

Sure!  That's cool - but my opinion is that the policy should be what the race director wants the policy to be.  As runners, we absolutely DO have a vote on race policies - we can register....  or not.   The differences of opinions amongst race directors is kind of a cool thing - races end up having a different feel to them.

Watoni

One more thought on the qualifying standards.

Many of the folks who get an automatic bid in 50 milers turn them down and do not race 100s (e.g., Sage Canaday, Max King). Seems like a waste. Nobody who qualified for an automatic via a 100-mile race declined ....