Trailer Trash

Favorite Handheld (Read 76 times)

AT-runner

Tim

So I am sensing a trend here. What is it about the UD bottles that people don't like?

Definitely a nipple thing.  Clown

After many years of bicycle riding, I'm more comfortable with the bike style bottles.  I have to squeeze the UD bottle 2 times to get the same amount of water from my cheap Zombie Runner logo bottle.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Occasional Runner

I like Nathan's nipples...if only they didn't leak.

I've been in that Zombie-like running state and lost almost all my fluid from my Nathan bottle before realizing it. They're the worst for leaking. Nothing is as depressing as staring at your nearly empty handheld at 2:00 AM and starting to tear up because your day just couldn't get any worse. Not that it has ever happened t me. Just saying...

Uh oh... now what?

I suppose an in-depth analysis of handhelds should include a certain amount of

testing.  This could include (degenerate into) nondestructive nipple testing--entirely

objective, notes and pictures taken, tastefully done, and only with the best interests

of the sport in mind.

mecrowe

Computer Geek

This is all good information.....thanks for sharing.  I've been looking at trying out a handheld.  Right now I have a Nathan hydration pack and a Nathan belt (Speed 2, i think).  I don't really care for either one....the two bottles on the belt are only 10 oz....and they have leaky nipples.  The hydration pack is alright but the bite valve has too slow a flow rate.   I like drinking out of the bottles and have even taken to refilling them from my pack when I start walking up hills.

I was looking at the Amphipod bottle that Mandy suggested at the LRS and I was weighing the pros and cons of a hard nipple.....it probably closes a lot better that the stupid leaky nathan nipples....but one stumble while taking a drink and one could lose a tooth.

I definitely want something that I can squeeze the water out of rather than sucking it out like a bladder.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Since we're talking nipples...I really like the nipples on the Salomon soft flasks.  They are the same bite valve used on hydropak bladder hydration systems.  They don't leak at all ever...not a drop.  The flow rate is in your control because you squeeze the soft bottle.  The negatives are that they only make the bottles in 5,8 and 16 oz sizes and the only way to attach it to your hand is using Salomon's "Sense Hydro S-Lab Handheld" setup which runs $40 with 1-8 oz bottle.

I've been trying this system out for the past month and its not perfect, but it does free up your fingers for adjusting your pack and such.  My main complaint is that the soft flask is attached to the hand at the nipple and with an elastic band across the middle, which is great when the flask is full.  When you get about half way through, it folds at the elastic and you have a little pouch of water below the band which flops around and is kind of annoying.  Also noteworthy is that the bottle is comfortable to carry without the handheld system...if you were going to do this, I would purchase the Hydropak version of the bottle which is about 50% cheaper than the Salomon branded versions.

**Ask me about streaking**

AT-runner

Tim

The hydration pack is alright but the bite valve has too slow a flow rate.  

@mecrowe

I replace my bite vales with the high flow Camelbak Big Bite Valve.  Well worth the $6.  The local bike shop has them on a display rack.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Messenjah

I am dying with all of the talk about nipples Blush

None of them are perfect.  I despise the Ultimate Direction Kicker Valve (soft nipple) and replaced the bottle shortly after I got it.  I like the Amphipod better but it is harder to get the top on without cross-threading it.  I got it several years ago so maybe they fixed it.  No matter what you get, ones with zippered pockets are very nice for carrying gels, S! caps, etc.

If I run with handhelds, I always run with two, and try to alternate drinking from them to keep the weights balanced.  It is also nice that the bottles are tough, because they absorb a lot of impact in case of a fall.

Ultra Cowboy

I must advocate for the Camelbak JET Valve on the podium bottles.

It has an on/off twist valve if you want....REI has the Chill bottle with hand strap

Video link----

http://youtu.be/23DPe7lSzPU

Link to handheld w/ strap on runners warehouse

WYBMADIITY

Save

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I have the Nathan Quickdraw plus, and I like the size of the bottle and of the pocket. However, with my sensitive skin, I get chafed on my knuckles from the mesh after a while, even when I change hands frequently. Therefore, I'd prefer some kind of smooth neoprene material, and maybe try an Amphipod with insulation next (better fit for my hands?), or the Quickdraw plus with insulation.

I do not like that my hands get very sweaty against the plastic of the bottle in summer, and that I get cold (freezing) hands from the cold liquid in winter. I think my hands need the insulated type of handheld.

The Nathan bottle works well for me with the valve, but I am pretty diligent on closing it properly after having a sip. It has never leaked on me unless I left the valve open.

The lid screws on easily, which I find helpful when I run races with the handheld. It allows to refill quickly and easily, even with shaky hands.

I'd like to be able to take big gulps, but I know that I tend to choke easily, so the low flow rate of the Nathan valve is probably rather helpful to me.

I "improved" my Nathan handheld by threading a shoelace through the loops on top of the fabric to reduce the "bounce" (the elastic around the bottle neck stretches too much in my opinion), and adding a velcro to the strap which tightens the hand loop, so that it does not come loose. If another system has these improvements added by default already, I might prefer that one.

Run for fun.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I was playing around with all of my bottles and handhelds and configured this one night:

It's a Gel-bot bottle (http://www.hydrapak.com/store-2/#!/~/product/category=632677&id=2479675) with my Amphipod strap.  Ultimately though, I prefer the shape of the Amphipod bottle.  It really does fit better in my hand.

Running is dumb.

BenTN

I'm another camelbak bottle advocate. I love the valve. Filled it with fully fizzed Sprite and it burps the CO2 without leaking. Don't laugh, it was entertaining near the end of a 50 miler.

I started with the insulated "Chillback" bottle and have added 2 double the insulation "Ice" bottles. They are great at keeping my fluids cool in the TN heat. I have a problem of drinking less late on a long run after my fluids get hot, these bottles fixed that problem. They are also great at keeping your fluids from freezing in the winter, just carry valve side down.

I use the cheap Nathan strap. It does not hold the bottles as securely as the camelbak strap but it's easier to swap bottles from my pack to the handheld.

Dirtrnr

We don't need no stinkin

Nathan's is well aware of the leaking issues.  They have a new line of bottles either just released or soon to hit stores that supposedly corrects the issue.  I stuck with UD because of the leaks.