Trailer Trash

Regional Stereotypes (Read 59 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Inspired by recent comments in the dailies and RR's:

1) Trail race with marathon, 50k, 50M and 100M options, gnarly terrain, lots of elevation gain.

California runner: Considers signing up for the marathon, but discovers that it's run on trails, so he doesn't. There could be mountain lions out there! He will, however, go out to watch the 100-mile runners suffer, pretending he's trying to gain experience by being there.

Wisconsin runner: Considers signing up, but only because there's the 100-mile option.

Texas runner: Won't run unless the humidity is over 80%.

Nevada runner: Won't run if the humidity climbs over 30%.

Pennsylvania runner: "Hey, when does registration open?"

2) During hunting season, the law requires that you wear at least 50 square inches of blaze orange clothing.

Alabama runner: Disappears for 2 months from all running to go out hunting.

Wisconsin runner: Blaze orange, really? He might wear an orange hat, though.

Pennsylvania runner: Wraps himself in 10 square feet of bright blaze orange fabric and attaches two blaze orange flags to his pick-up truck.

California runner: Wrecks his mind trying to figure out how to extend the surface of his running outfits to total 50 square inches.

3) Winter, it's snowing.

Montana runner: Won't go out for a run unless the snow is 6 feet high.

Maryland runner: Won't go out in the slush because there's no chance to BQ.

Pennsylvania runner: Throws on his shorts and a singlet (after all, it's winter!) and goes out for a run in 10-degree weather.

California runner: "What?"

Add on...

Run for fun.

Brian Runner

Proud Pennsylvanian Trail Runner!

1) Trail race with marathon, 50k, 50M and 100M options, gnarly terrain, lots of elevation gain.

Dear Race Director. Could you please move the 50k to Sunday. I'll need a cool down after Saturday's 50M!

2) During hunting season, the law requires that you wear at least 50 square inches of blaze orange clothing

I hunted for 13 years so I'm okay with hunters for the most part, though I lost interest in it when I started spending every single day in the woods trail running. Come November I usually throw on an orange vest. The most frustrating thing isn't hunting season, but rather hunters who never leave the trail. Last year I encountered a portable tree-stand right above the trail.

3) Winter, it's snowing.

"Throws on his shorts and a singlet (after all, it's winter!) and goes out for a run in 10-degree weather," sounds about right. Last winter I think I broke out the long pants a grand total of  times. The funny thing is at the beginning of every group run people look at me like I'm crazy, but within a couple miles they usually wish they were in shorts as well.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

2) The most frustrating thing isn't hunting season, but rather hunters who never leave the trail. Last year I encountered a portable tree-stand right above the trail.

LOL!

At last year's Stone Mill 50M race, we encountered two hunters and their two dead deer right on the trail. However, that was in Maryland, and 40 miles into the race, we were not sure if we or the deer were better off.

Run for fun.

Brian Runner

At that point the deer probably looked better.

Trail Monster

At that point the deer probably SMELLED better.

FTFY.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

1. trail race w/ gnarly terrain w/ lots of elevation gain

Montana runner- is there any other kind of trail race?

2. during hunting season:

Montana runner- throws rifle on back, biathlon style for run, saw a nice bull the week before on a run

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Ultra Cowboy

Oregon Trail runner:

Won't enter the trail race until his beard grows in to at least 3 inches....

Considers a toque "running gear"

WYBMADIITY

Save

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

50k Trail race with 3000ft elevation change

Indiana - "oh that's so hilly!"

PA - "Is that elevation change in the first 15k? yes.  I'm in!"

Utah - "In the first 10k? Sounds like a good warm-up."

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Brian Runner

PA - "Is that elevation change in the first 25k? yes.  I'm in!"

3,000 feet is about a good thousand feet short for a Pa 25k race, don't you think?

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

3,000 feet is about a good thousand feet short for a Pa 25k race, don't you think?

good point. I changed it.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Description of the race course:

Pennsylvania: "After the first 5 miles, where you will gain 2.200 feet in elevation, the remaining 8 miles are gently rolling or downhill, so this will likely be your fastest HM ever!"

Indiana: "The 10k race course is mainly flat, with two significant hills, 120 feet elevation gain each, so brace yourself for this taxing race!"

Utah: "Our beautiful and scenic, easy-to-run 25k race course features only 6,000 feet elevation gain, mostly over scree and boulders, although you will also encounter a short (0.6 mile) stretch of grassy meadows, and some exposed areas featuring spectacular 800 feet drop offs."

Run for fun.