Trailer Trash

Thinking on Thursday (Read 35 times)

Watoni

Ran just a couple in the dark last night ....

Hopefully 5-6 today ... still keeping it pretty flat and non-technical, but it is muddy.

QOTD: I am doing it more now, but am a bit wary given the ankle is still rehabing and is weak. Also, heading into the hills alone at night with the mountain lions is not smart, I am told ....

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Oops, looks I'm late to the party today.

URD, as we had to get our new cat spayed today, so that it won't interfere with Thanksgiving, and the cat can recover at home. I'll pick her up in an hour, hoping she'll be ok then.

QOTD: Love it! The first few times, I got scared easily, but meanwhile, it seems totally normal to me to run in the dark. It's not really possible to run without a light in our neck of the woods. The trails are often barely recognizeable in daylight, only roads and gravel roads are fine on most days in most areas. However, there are a few spots even on the roads where one could fall down quite deep if tripping over a rock, or accidentally stepping over the edge of the road. So far, I have never fallen on a trail in the night, seems I pay more attention to the footing when there's no distraction on the side.

My biggest concern is getting lost in the dark, especially on those barely recognizeable trails, then standing in the middle of the wood alone. It has happened a few times, though, and I did not panic, just worked my way back out again. It has taught me to pay more attention and to look ahead more than in daylight.

Being used to running in the dark, even on technical trails, definitely is a huge advantage for running 100's.

Run for fun.

NorthernHarrier

I guess I am even later today. I did a real deep and intellectual post at lunch time but somehow when I clicked on the post button everything just vaporized. An old people and technology  issue again I guess.  Had to get home to let the Springers out and give them some chow and now I will be heading out to the trails to run by headlamp. Just don't know whether to head east or west, probably should decide when I get behind the wheel I suppose. 

QOTD-- I run by headlamp these days as the days are too short and I don't own my time. In the past I would only run at night as a fun diversion occasionally but I much prefer the daylight.  No fear of evil things and I wish I could actually get lost out there sometime but I am very comfortable in the dark forest on or off trail. No worries.   This time of year though I really enjoy both cross-country skiing and snowshoeing by headlamp or on a bright night no light with the snow reflecting the moonlight. That's pretty damn cool.   I have a favorite snowshoe hiking/running area about 7 miles from my cabin and it goes thru some big time wolf habitat so while I like hearing the wolfies howling and yapping when I'm out after dark simulating prey there I am usually packing something accessible. Dinner with the wolf family would not be too much fun. 

some call me Tim

Some snowshoeing today, but it had to take a back seat to hours of roof shoveling and the like. We got off easier with the first storm, but just got hammered today. Over 8 feet of snow has fallen in the last 3 days, though it's compressing some. There's a great base developing out there. Out in the woods there's less (the pics don't really do it justice) but I keep having to clear the trails of hawthorn trees who just can't handle the weight. Still pretty magical.

qotd: It creeps me out, but I do it partly because I feel like it shouldn't

snowvember 1

snowvember 2

Sandy-2

I actually got up early today (Friday) and did 5 pre-dawn miles. It was nice, of course not as nice as Camden, NJ. Nice photo TnC. Also nice photo blargendarg.

qotd: Said it before.... I do my best work at night.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL