Trailer Trash

Race Report: Hyner 25k (Read 38 times)

Brian Runner

boyjame tracked me down on my blogger page and said there were Runner's World trail forum refugees here.

Ran my first Hyner 25k this past weekend and feel I did well. Had I been a bit more aggressive I have no doubt I could have cracked the top 100, but being my first time on the course I’m very happy with it. Its about the experience, not the time on the finish clock. Had an absolute blast out on those nasty central Pa trails

FULL RACE REPORT HERE: http://www.briankunkle.com/2013/04/hyner-view-trail-challenge-2013-race.html

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations on a great time and placing! Awesome to pull through strong. Thanks for sharing your report, it is very interesting to get a perspective from the 25k distance!

Run for fun.

Brian Runner

On the way back to my truck I stopped at the end of the bridge to talk with some of my friends. We got to watch the first 3 or 4 of the 50k runners come in. They were flying. Ashley Moyer in 3rd was especially impressive...

Low_O2

Nice job! Sounds like a tough course! Thanks for sharing.

Daydreamer1

Congrats on the strong  finish and thanks for the report. I do have to call you on one item however.

"The downhill’s at Hyner are long, but mostly tame,"

I think they're killers, and my quads are agreeing with me so at this point you're out voted 2-1 Joking.

Glad to see Jame found you and got you connected over here.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Brian,

I checked out the site for The Green Monster.  I had not realized the 50k would have so much elevation change.  Sounds like a Hyner type of event.  I remember vaguely your report from the 25k last year.  You liked it right? It looks very tempting.  It's a little much for me to drive to and from in one day. I would need to camp out the night before.

Congrats on Hyner! That is a good finishing time.  Hope your ankle heals up for you.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Brian Runner

"The downhill’s at Hyner are long, but mostly tame,"

I think they're killers, and my quads are agreeing with me so at this point you're out voted 2-1 Joking.

They are long, and two out of the three are quite rocky, but the grade isn't very steep really.Come on out to The Green Monster this October and “run” down Frankenstein's Forehead and you'll see what I mean.

Brian Runner

Brian,

I checked out the site for The Green Monster.  I had not realized the 50k would have so much elevation change.  Sounds like a Hyner type of event.  I remember vaguely your report from the 25k last year.  You liked it right? It looks very tempting.  It's a little much for me to drive to and from in one day. I would need to camp out the night before.

Congrats on Hyner! That is a good finishing time.  Hope your ankle heals up for you.

The Green Monster was awesome. It has everything that Hyner has except for the huge crowds... but just as soon as the word starts getting out it will probably have the crowds as well. The Wellsboro area is a wonderland of state parks and state forest land… it’s a trail runners paradise. They also started holding a  100k and 100 mile run (Pine Creek Challenge) in recent years, although that is on rail trail. There are still many many miles of trails out there not being raced on. I suspect it will be a new hotbed for trail races soon enough.

mecrowe

Computer Geek

The Green Monster was awesome. It has everything that Hyner has except for the huge crowds... but just as soon as the word starts getting out it will probably have the crowds as well. The Wellsboro area is a wonderland of state parks and state forest land… it’s a trail runners paradise. They also started holding a  100k and 100 mile run (Pine Creek Challenge) in recent years, although that is on rail trail. There are still many many miles of trails out there not being raced on. I suspect it will be a new hotbed for trail races soon enough.

That is one of my favorite places on Earth......in fact....I will be camping in Cedar Run this weekend adn doing some running/hiking/biking/fishing.  I would love to, someday, run the West Rim trail from Ansonia south through the Canyon.

Do you have a website for the Green Monster?

--mike

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

http://www.greenmonster-trailchallenge.com/home

Ha.  I was literally just looking at it.  I really should get back to work and stop drooling....

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

http://www.greenmonster-trailchallenge.com

I'd love to run it, but it's the week after my first 100.

Jamie: You beat me - again! Tight lips

Run for fun.

Brian Runner

Last year I had friends who were out to Oil Creek as pacers. Their runner dropped early I guess, so they drove across the state to be at The Green Monster in the morning to run.

Green Monster Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/GreenMonster-25K-Trail-Challenge/240980766015651

Daydreamer1

They are long, and two out of the three are quite rocky, but the grade isn't very steep really.Come on out to The Green Monster this October and “run” down Frankenstein's Forehead and you'll see what I mean.

I have to look up the date for the Green Monster. I doubt that I can do it this year since I'm doing The Mega the end of Sept and then the Oil Creek 100k the following weekend. It's definitely on my watch list I just have to be able to fit it into my schedule.

I hear what you're saying on the steepness. A lot of the hills I use for training are actually steeper so I find my self sliding down them and not running as much. I think the fact that the Hyner hills can be run actually abuses the legs a little more then hills that can't be run.

Brian Runner

I have to look up the date for the Green Monster. I doubt that I can do it this year since I'm doing The Mega the end of Sept and then the Oil Creek 100k the following weekend. It's definitely on my watch list I just have to be able to fit it into my schedule.

I hear what you're saying on the steepness. A lot of the hills I use for training are actually steeper so I find my self sliding down them and not running as much. I think the fact that the Hyner hills can be run actually abuses the legs a little more then hills that can't be run.

If you can fit it in, its worth doing.

And you are probably right about Hyner's downhills being runnable.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job, BR.  Glad you found us over here on RA.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway!