Trailer Trash

Mud, barbed wire and a coyote stand-off (Read 44 times)

Watoni

My lunch run was interesting yesterday. I am still just building and taking it easy, and decided to hit the real trails for a short loop. Lots of beautiful rain and flooding made for great running. One of the hills is likely a bit steep for my achilles since it forces me up on my toes more at points, but it went ok. Then I hit the wide track on the homestretch and find three coyotes at the top of a short rise. One starts towards me while the others area bit more circumspect. I grab some rocks and cautiously move forward .... they finally disperse after a brief stand-off and I jog on, to find a new barbed wire fence put up where I rejoin the trail coming from "civilization." Luckily a tree had busted a small hole on the fence a hundred yards down or so Wink

Spot the three friends?

LB2

I know you guys need the rain out there, but it seems like a little too much in a short span. I have never seen coyotes that were not terrified of humans. Of course, if it has fur or feathers down here, it is likely getting shot at frequently. It keeps them on their toes.

LB2

runtraildc

The pics of the rain are astounding.  Seems a little too much in too short of a timeframe.

Interesting that there were three coyotes together.  They are by nature solitary animals, not 'pack' animals, though recent work shows some are adopting a pack hunting strategy, which might be what you saw.  Next time,  make sure to leave your toy poodle and chihuahua at home.  No need to bring bait out into the woods with you. 

Interesting that there were three coyotes together.  They are by nature solitary animals, not 'pack' animals, though recent work shows some are adopting a pack hunting strategy, which might be what you saw. 

I have almost always seen them alone, but most of what I have read suggests that they often hunt in pairs or small packs.  Some of what I have heard at night would sometimes suggest a pack kill with three or more participating.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

LB2

I have almost always seen them alone, but most of what I have read suggests that they often hunt in pairs or small packs.  Some of what I have heard at night would sometimes suggest a pack kill with three or more participating.

I agree. I see them come in pairs fairly often. I get them to leave as a single as often as I can or not at all, if possible. And, like you, when I hear them at night, there usually seems to be quite a few together.

LB2

AT-runner

Tim

Nice mud.  Agree the coyote behavior is a bit weird to be in a pack in the middle of the day.  I've only seen 2, and they were both alone and ran quickly when they heard / saw me.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Beautiful woods, how awesome to have that in your life in the middle of the day...there was an article in our paper today asking us to stay off the trails due to the mud...they mentioned my trail I run at lunch but still going to head out on it. 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

You have so much green!  Look at all that green!  I need to move.

Nice photos, Watoni!

Running is dumb.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Interesting that there were three coyotes together.  They are by nature solitary animals, not 'pack' animals, though recent work shows some are adopting a pack hunting strategy, which might be what you saw.  Next time,  make sure to leave your toy poodle and chihuahua at home.  No need to bring bait out into the woods with you. 

During my first trip to the Grand Tetons back in the mid-90s, I watched a pack trying to separate a pronghorn and her calf from the herd in mid-day. At least I assumed they were coyotes and not wolves. They were a lot smaller than the pronghorn. They were pretty far away to see even with binoculars.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Sandy-2

Cool photos.  What's up with the barbwire fence?  That sucks.

A long time ago when visiting my parents in California I saw a pack of about 5 or 6 coyotes together but it was early in the morning and I suspect the park dumpster nearby had something to do with it.  When they saw me they ran off though.   Also agree, when I hear them at night they sure sound like a whole bunch of them howling away.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Beautiful pics. Here in Southern indiana, I always hear or see at least 3 coyotes together and sometimes if I am lucky I will hear one "pack" or group communicating with another not more than a couple miles away. I haven't personally had any issues with them but a few weeks ago while my dog and I were out running the roads at 4 am, I heard this group getting into it with a dog in a field. Couldn't see them in the dark but they weren't more than a couple hundred feet from us. Made me a little nervous.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

That looks just awesome! Lots of mud, I guess the rain was a bit much for the short timeframe. Enjoy it while it lasts!

The barbed wire fence is strange, though. What does it separate from what? Weird.

Run for fun.