Trailer Trash

TNF Endurance Challenge - Bear Mountain (Read 43 times)

link

I usually shy away from the larger corporate type events but my family lives close to Bear Mtn so I would be inclined to learn more. I've heard it's a difficult course... anyone have info on it?

jonferg67

Endless trails

I don't have any info about the course, sorry. My DW has family in Nyack, I'd be

in for the 50K , you looking at the 50? I don't see dates for 2014, I assume May something.

I don't have any info about the course, sorry. My DW has family in Nyack, I'd be

in for the 50K , you looking at the 50? I don't see dates for 2014, I assume May something.

I would probably be in for the 50k also. My dad also lives near Nyack, and the rest of my family across the Bear Mountain Bridge. I assume it would be the same weekend in 2014.

SillyC

Yes!  I ran the 50 mile there in 2013.

The course is gorgeous, and the race is very well run.  I say thumbs up to it.  They have a shuttle system to take spectators around, and it works very well.  I have really no complaints about this race - I had a great time!  I would absolutely recommend this race.

You've heard the course is hard and it is.  I opted for the 50 mile because I love love love that park, and was intrigued by the thought of running all of my favorite trails in the same day - but I knew it was going to be tight for me to make the cutoff.  The cutoff at 14 hours for the 50 mile sounds loose, but it's not at all.  It took Nikki Kimball almost 10 hours to finish it.

Here's my race report on the 50 mile:

http://heatherrunstoomuch.blogspot.com/2013/05/race-report-2013-north-face-endurance.html

DigDug2

I did the half marathon last year, so can't speak to the longer distances, but the trails are great and very challenging.  There are some great race reports and videos online.  It definitely feels more "corporate" (and more crowded) than any other trail race I've run.

Rippowam

I ran this as my first 50 miler last year. The race seemed to be very well organized and the free beer (one) and barbeque after the race was awesome. The course is beautiful but very ROCKY- my garmin had it at around 7000 feet of gain . The 50 miler spread out pretty quickly and never felt crowded. Will definately be going back for another helping this year.

Thanks for the info! I will probably make a decision on which distance I want to run after my 50 miler in November.

SillyC

I ran this as my first 50 miler last year. The race seemed to be very well organized and the free beer (one) and barbeque after the race was awesome. The course is beautiful but very ROCKY- my garmin had it at around 7000 feet of gain . The 50 miler spread out pretty quickly and never felt crowded. Will definately be going back for another helping this year.

Have to agree about the 50 miler NOT being overcrowded.  I think there were only about 250 finishers, although I think close to 500 of us started.  I was never too lonely, but I had plenty of room to run.

I don't know if I'll go back for the 50 miler even though I had such a great time - it was on the edge of my ability.  I trained my tail off to get there, and was one of the last official finishers.  I knew what the course was going to be like, though, so I  was expecting to be pulled.

There were hardly any women at the 50m, TrailsnCocktails!  Of the 250 finishers, only about 30 were women.

skeene07

Dirty Girl

http://lh100k.blogspot.com

(sorry idk how to post a link)

This 100k FatAss looks like in a similar area? Wondering just how difficult this one would be.

http://staceyrunsandeats.blogspot.com/

4/13 Bull Run Run 50 miler- DONE!

SillyC

THANK YOU STACY!

I've hiked all that section of the Long Path - I used to live by the George Washington Bridge.  The good news is that it is going to be a lot of ridge running and valley running - so potentially LESS difficult than the Bear Mountain 50 miler.

But, I mean, do you know the area?  It is seriously beautiful, but it's VERY urban.  I mean, you blast off Hook Mountain and there ya are in town.  But a cool thing is if you decide not to finish,  you just pop out of the woods and take the bus back to the GWB station.  Ya gotta know how to do it, though.  (I do.)

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Several people at both Wildcat and MoMa said they thought those courses were a lot like Bear Mountain.  Unfortunately it falls right between NJ marathon (already registered) and Dirty German (going for 50 miles next year, assuming a sucessful SM50).  Not sure I want a FOURTH ankle-twisty rockfest on my schedule.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16