Trailer Trash

Take the lead, girl; Run your race. You know the way!” (Read 57 times)

tjrun

I not a regular poster, but I follow posts regularly - ;urking around I guess.  But I wanted to post something I wrote the other day because those of you who trail run with your kids can relate to the joy of it.  Passing on your love of running and seeing them embrase it.  My daughter  is a senior and we've run many a mile together.  I am always struck by how running seems to be a metaphor for life, and this came to me while we ran one Sunday afternoon.  So, here it is......

Take the lead.  Run your race.  You know the way.

“You want to take a run?” she says to me on the first warm and sunny afternoon of spring.  A simple request; an invitation to enjoy what we both love….together.

We start off slow and easy, not talking, but sharing the day in our souls:  the sun, the warm breeze, the rhythm of our feet on the ground as we listen to our music in our own heads.  Separate, but together.

My body warms to the rhythm of the world around me, my pace quickens a bit and she matches my stride – just behind, over my right shoulder, following close.  She is comfortable there: letting me take the lead, matching my pace, learning the trail.  I smile to myself at the thought of her as a tiny young girl studying me, wanting to be just like “Mommy”.  Watching me carefully, staying with me….just behind, over my right shoulder; following.

We run for a long time just like this together, but then the trail changes.  It becomes uneven, rocky and steep.  My pace slows a bit matching the terrain, and suddenly, she is beside me:  quiet and strong, but not passing.  Silent, no words spoken;  it’s as if her presence beside me has strengthened me to keep moving because I know we are stronger together – side by side as our trail becomes tough.  Each one giving the other the will to keep going, moving forward – with a knowing glance and a reassuring smile when life gets hard, just like the trail.  This is not our first steep trail together.

And today, just as in life, our trail evens out, our breathing not so labored, our body and minds begin to relax and once again, we are free to enjoy the beauty of the world around us.  Hearts and feet in rhythm, side by side. Separate… but together.   I am caught in a moment of pure bliss.  Life is as it should be: the warm sun on my face, the blue sky overhead, and my girl by my side.

The trail becomes green under our feet, and she moves at an easy pace ahead of me.  She is just running freely:  relaxed and forward.  I watch her pony tail swing and the sun on her tanned shoulders, and I’m struck by her unexpected beauty.  She is not aware of the woman she has become.  Then, suddenly – as if she is awakened by my thoughts, she stops, turns, and notices the distance growing between us…unsure…unwilling to leave me.  I smile, wave her on, and say, “Go ahead; you won’t get lost.”  Without a word, but with a smile that says it all, she turns and with a strong and steady stride, she takes to the trail.  I look ahead of her – mostly straight, green path, but some winding, steep trail remains.  But her body and mind are strong.  “You’ve run with me long enough; you know the way.  Take the lead, girl, and run your race!”

We run our own pace for a long time, but when we come to the end of the trail, she asks me if we can sit on the dock for a while.  A simple request, an invitation to enjoy what we both love…together.

The sun is falling behind the trees, the breeze has a chill, but I am warmed by her presence and she by mine.  We sit quietly side by side listening to our own music, not talking, soaking up all of today that we can.  After a long while I ask, “What are you listening to?”  She replies, and I smile…..”Me too.”  All the while listening to the same song, enjoying the music - separately… together.  This is our story: Running together – each taking the lead in our own time while listening to the music of the world around us; enjoying the sunshine, supporting each other through the rocky parts.  As our perfect day draws to a close, I recall each moment again and tuck it away in my heart.  I will unwrap it often; thinking to myself, “Life is as it should be.”

Only a hint of the sun glows behind the trees, and the sky fades as we walk to the car.  I am stuck by the thought that these days together are numbered – for graduation and college are coming soon.  Reading my feelings again, she quietly puts my arm over her shoulder and hers around my waist.  She must feel it too.

I look to the horizon; I smile to myself, and think…

“Take the lead, girl; Run your race.  You know the way!”

Thanks for listening.  Give your children the joy of running if you can.  Pass it on.

Uh oh... now what?

Wowzis and thank you and ... wonderful story.  A daughter and granddaughter

brought the first great granddaughter by for the first visit a few weeks ago.  I looked

at the four generations of inspiration, challenges accepted, miles traveled, and

memories created to be shared... where have the years gone?

I can remember leading, running with, and following them on trails here and there.

Thank you, thank you--beautifully done.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Of course the running piece is appropriate but I think there is so much more in your story...a season of transition, a season of reflection , a season of looking forward to the changes...

My kids are still young but I try and take advantage of those types of moments knowing that someday will come that transition.  I will never force running on my kids but if one (or all three) decide to run someday with daddy, I will be there by their side.

Thanks for sharing!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Beautiful. You should post more often! Had me teary eyed. Thanks for sharing. Almost makes me want to have kids...almost.

AT-runner

Tim

Ok, now yo have to post more often if you are going to write beautiful stuff like this.  DW and I are recent empty nesters, so your story brought a tear to my eye.  Thanks for sharing.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I also got a little teary and I don't even have kids!  Thanks for posting.  (And hey, stick around!)

Running is dumb.

XtremeTaper

Fantastic post. Thanks for sharing. You are very blessed indeed.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Ultra Cowboy

Very nice.  A great metaphor but also literally descriptive.

Ya done good!

WYBMADIITY

Save

Sandy-2

Awesome. Thanks.

I have felt similar things, especially the "these day are numbered" part, but could never express it like you have. Only difference is my daughter rides a horse while I run and they tend to charge off on their own on side trails to get a few extra faster miles.

Agree, you need to stick around.

tbd.

Watoni

Great post!

I have only run a few times with my now 8 year old in the local fun run, but these have been wonderful experiences, including holding his hand after he fell on a trail, skinned his knee and just ran through the tears to come third in his age group.

Now I tend to throw baseballs with him. He is already too good at soccer and skiing.

Maybe my other son will let me ski and play tennis with him ...

Wow, very moving. I never had a chance to run with my dad when he was a runner, but I often wish that was something we could share now. I'm sure it means a tremendous amount to your daughter to share this special time together.

Chnaiur

Thank you very much for sharing. Just randomly I had this beautiful music on when I read your piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NecFN-cfwlk&feature=youtu.be

I really look forward to my kids growing up and running with them on the trails, and I already dread the thought of sending them off.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

tjrun

Thanks y'all.  I knew you guys would "get it".

It's been great sharing running.  I started running with my dad when I was 11 years old, and that is our thing that we share between us (he is 70 now and ran Houston marathon this year).  It has been a special bond that we have because we "get the running thing".  Because we all know it's not just about the moving of feet.  Now I see it in my daughter has the joy too.

I get the tears.  I have yet to read it through without crying again because I am thinking of that day.  My daughter and I have spent this whole year quoting Truvy from Steel Magnolias, " Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion."

Hope for all of you this same gift with your kids!

Terri

Beautiful writing, I really enjoyed this.  Thank you for sharing, it made my day.