Trailer Trash

Mondailies (Read 30 times)

Daydreamer1

In the low 30s here but very windy, and I hate wind. Oh well, it's March so what can I expect.  Trying to get the ambition to head out for 10-12 miles.

QOTD: 82.6 miles.  That's 3 miles less then January .  I wanted, and need, to be over a 100. I just find it hard to get in the long miles with the cold, crappy weather.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Your on!

Weekend was mostly a wash out.  Got in a short run Saturday evening.  Yesterday was a mess.  I will get out tonight for some miles and smiles.

QOTD: 60.  Making progress.  Queen maybe you challenge me.  Might be a little easier...

Have a great day! (Spring is just around the corner)

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Your on!

Hey, hey, hey now!  What about me?!  LOL.

Running is dumb.

hog4life

sugnim, Happy Anniversary!!

I got 5 with Bella before work.

QOTD, sucked at 87. March will be better, right?

Question for TT, Mandy, or others that run with your dog. Have your dogs ever had trouble with their pads cracking open? Or getting sores that look kind of like an abrasion? My Bella's paws appear very dried out, sometimes the sore is up at the line where pad meets fur. She also has what appears like dandruff, or just general dry skin. Do you have any remedies? It's almost her time to visit the vet for her yearly, so I'll ask then too, but thought maybe you had some pointers.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

My dog used to get raw paws when I hiked with her on limestone mountains, especially when her paws got wet. The sharp, small rocks and the cliffs, combined with steep inclines and descents, and 8+ hour hikes were just too much. I can imagine that sharp ice shards, or snow sticking to the fur between the toes, turning into ice, combined with salt on roads and parking lots, would do the same. I also always rinsed my dog's paws, legs, and belly (remember, she was a dog with lots of thick, long, soft fur that would retain all kinds of dirt) with lots of lukewarm water after each walk, drying off with old towels, to remove any salt residues, and to get rid of too much vaseline to allow her inside the house again. If you hadn't gotten your workout in already, this sure did it. 

I used vaseline on my dog's paws for walks in winter, and cut the fur between the toes (she was a Newfoundland mix).

Nothing helped in summer on the long hikes on sharp cliffs, as she would not wear booties or socks. When her paws got raw, it wax extremely painful, and I wrapped her feet in gauze, with lots of wound-healing creme, then socks. That was the only time she would wear socks, for a couple days only.

For dry skin, there are conditioners available, just like for human hair, but rather to treat the skin itself, to use after a bath (or just apply to moist fur). I can't give specific recommendations, though, as this was some time ago, and in Europe. My aunt used a fragrance-free, hypo-allergenic lotion (similar to Vanicreme, but thinner), on her dog (a wire-haired Viszla) for patches of dry skin, but that works for short- and maybe wire-haired dogs only, obviously. You might also try some oil, best a plant oil which the dog can lick off without getting poisoned.

Dry, flaky skin can also be caused by nutritional deficits, or absorption or metabolic problems. Diabetes may also cause it, but this probably would not go unnoticed, as the dog would have other, severe symptoms, too.

Allergies (carpet, floor cleaners) may also cause dry skin, usually with an itch. Contact allergies often also cause swelling on the dog, around the eyes and nose. My dog was once allergic to a flea collar, causing itch, swelling,  and flaky skin.

Excessive static from very dry air, combined with carpets might be a cause, too. It could be a fungal infection, or parasites, especially if it appears in patches rather than all over the body. Check for redness or a rash.

I'd try the oil for the skin, and see the vet if it doesn't improve quickly.

Run for fun.

hog4life

That's some very good points, thanks. We had just bought some moisturizing shampoo for her. I've heard about the Vaseline, but kind of wanting to stay away from that. She hasn't had any real swelling or redness, nor itching either. Oh, she's a Doberman.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I think I can beat him! I'm still trying to catch up to you by the 6 month mark..end of june.

Hey, hey, hey now!  What about me?!  LOL.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄