Trailer Trash

Anybody Running TUESDAY (Read 40 times)

DigDug2

5.7 on the TM at lunch today - no way I'm running outside in these conditions!

QOTD:  I run at my work gym fairly often during the winter.  I generally just mind my own business, but there's one fellow TM user that drives me crazy by setting the TM way too fast, running for about 90 seconds, then jumping off and straddling the still-moving belt for a minute while he catches his breath, then repeating over and over again.  I'm pretty sure this is not an intentional form of speed work, but is a way of fooling himself into thinking he can run both faster and farther than he really can.  I have no problem with people fooling themselves - I probably engage in a lot of self-delusion myself - but it's really distracting to have someone next to you jumping on and off a fast moving TM belt...

AT-runner

Tim

URD for me.  I'm sick as a dog and couldn't even muster the energy for a treadmill jog.  Laying on the couch with a roaring fire in the fireplace.

Hope everyone is warm and cozy.

QOTD;  DW manages a Gym and they have names for several of the characters.  The whole staff knows them by their nick-names.

• Kim the Shim (a very androgynous female)
      • Jug Head (the guy walking around with water jug)
      • Hang around the desk guy (a guy who never works out much)
      • Headlights (the girl who always looks "cold" and wears very thin tops)
      • Dumb Ashlee and Smart Ashlee (2 girls with same name but not same IQ)
      • Ron Jon (a guy who wears surfing board shorts to work out)
      • Banana Bob (guy who works out in spandex shorts)
      • SV (short for silicone valley - an older woman who has had some work done)

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Occasional Runner

Had a quick run in Moab this morning, then made the drive to Phoenix. It's deliciously warm down here. We're in a hotel now, but I brought all my camping gear in case we wanted to spend a few weeks being dirtbag runners.

QOTD: I love watching the people in my gym. There are a few characters that are very entertaining.

Watoni

Did get 4 miles in at lunch ... the padlocks on the horse gates were tighter than usual so there was more climbing over fences than usual Wink

Interestingly, almost tweaked my ankle again in those damn Hokas but ran pretty well .... 6:45 average moving pace (answered a few work e-mails on the run Sad ). Actually did my best pace up the horse trail next to the driveway that counts as a road on the homestretch of the loop.

Strava:

http://www.strava.com/activities/104735114/overview

NorthernHarrier

No running for me today. Still working, though taking a break at Culvers in Reedsburg, Wi.  We are warming up a little so I will be able to get a real run in tomorrow morning. Happy. 

AT--Sounds like you may have what drilled me for about 8 days. Bummer.

QOTD-Hearing some of those stories reminds me of why I long ago stopped with the health club scene. Bought enough equipment to do a good workout w/o the gold chain crowd at home. Just working out at hotels now and then brings back the flashbacks(the horror). About the only good workout facility I belonged to was the UW shell here in Madison with the indoor track and equipment. Serious workout people there including the blue-chip scholarship athletes.

Chnaiur

LOL Today at the gym I actually met someone with a gallon jug of water for the first time. This thread is magic!

Watoni: where did you get your Hokas? I'm looking for a store in the valley where I could try a few different models out.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

KreegSauceRuns

Long time, no post!  Glad to see all these familiar people are still here carrying on.  Work swamped me last year which decreased my time to goof around and hang around in the forums.  Hope everyone is doing well.

An easy run on the TM tonight.  Almost caught the flu from my daughter but I caught it in time and loaded up on some meds and things are ok now I believe.

QOTD:  no gym membership.  I enjoy running alone outside so I don't need a gym for that.  And I have my own TM for times I need to run inside.  Plus I'm 135 lb. scrawny white dude.  What am I gonna do in a gym?

1/8/22 - Frosty 50k - 5:21:19 (strava)

3/26/22 - Blackbeard's Revenge 100 - 27:27:06 (strava)

9/30/22 - Yeti 100 - Abingdon, VA - 25:46:01 (strava)

4/1/23 - Umstead 100 - Raleigh, NC

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Plus I'm 135 lb. scrawny white dude.  What am I gonna do in a gym?

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Watoni

LOL Today at the gym I actually met someone with a gallon jug of water for the first time. This thread is magic!

Watoni: where did you get your Hokas? I'm looking for a store in the valley where I could try a few different models out.

In the vallley I would try Zombierunner in Palo Alto. They sell lots of Hokas, are (ultra) runners and are generally very nice -- they do not have my size in the Rapa Nui 2's though, which is the only Hoka I can imagine running in now (ankle still a bit sore from yesterday)

http://www.zombierunner.com/store/brands/hoka_one_one/

I often go to San Francisco Running Company in Marin for shoes. I may head there to try the Rapa Nui 2 and the Scott Kinabalu 2.0 this week if I can.

Chnaiur

Thanks Watoni! The Marin store looks great - I'll step by there on the way to a run soon. I'm also looking to try out a wider variety of running vests, and I think Zombie Runner are a bit limited in that

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

charlesmoman

My wife and I recently had a month trial at our local Snap Fitness and joined last week.

It has been interesting to see the various folks in there.

There is one guy who is very nice, a little overweight - who mainly talks to people.

I have never seen him really work very long on a machine or TM - not burning a lot of calories.

But, you know what? - he is at least moving and getting out of his house.

He could be holed in his home (he is divorced, I think) - doing drugs, or drinking or binge eating instead.

There are a lot of folks in the Silver Sneakers program who mainly come and walk and talk to other older folks next to them.

They are not knocking themselves out, but I certainly don't know their health issues and limitations.

So far I have not run into anyone who is obnoxious or a genuine pain to be around.

Most days I go there twice - once with my wife for about an hour - I either start or finish one of my short day runs then.

Then I go back and finish the running and finish up on the machines.

I am retired from teaching, so I have the time and I am working hard on my core for my 100-miler in April.

I just wish I could get some of my former teacher friends who are retired to get out and get fit.

Too many die too young because they just get too sedentary and comfortable.(Wow - three "toos" in one sentence)!

That is what got me running when I retired early in 2010 - I did not want to end up like them.

Of course, I have gone off the deep end a "bit" with the ultras I do.