Trailer Trash

Lymes Disease (Read 33 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

A question to any of you who have it or known people who have:

Is there a change in personality for the person that gets Lymes?

What I have read states there could be but certainly not for everyone.  I ask because my SIL has had very drastic changes in her personality in the last 30 days.  She quit her job, has had anxiety almost panic attacks, stays at home, has read 52 books over the last 30 days (she is a person that never used to read), not hanging out with friends, etc.  She did go to the doctor and he said it was "stress induced".  They did no blood tests.  It is unknown if she was bit by a tick but was at a remote cabin back in the middle of the summer so it's very possible.  I would of thought the doctor would have at least done some sort of tests for lymes and other stuff.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

some call me Tim

I was talking to my brother recently and he claimed that extreme introversion and paranoia were part of the symptoms(and would lead me to believe there could be a neurological component), but I'll have to get back in touch with him and ask whether he's actually seen or experienced them. Of course depending on her age and other stressors, certain disorders have a way of popping up like that, too, but I guess you know that.

XtremeTaper

Yikes.. sounds like bipolar disorder almost, but that is your field not mine.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

yeah I have gone through a number of psychological illness in my head but she is in her 40's and no big stressors (at least not that I know about) to trigger.   But these crazy things do have a way of popping up in mid life for some people despite a specific trigger.  I was just concerned that something simple like lymes wasn't even tested for (I say simple but what I mean is simple to test for).

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

LB2

My goodness... I hope they can figure something out pretty quick.

LB2

Daydreamer1

She did go to the doctor and he said it was "stress induced".  They did no blood tests. 

I would of thought the doctor would have at least done some sort of tests for lymes and other stuff.

She's in her 40's and is female. "Stress" and "anxiety", are two easy quick diagnosis's to make and get her out of the office.  It doesn't sound like the Dr is much of a diagnostician or he/she would be looking deeper. They should be looking for any type of organic changes and there are so many of those it's difficult to think of them all.  It sounds like this was a very sudden and dramatic onset so my personal opinion is it needs further investigation to rule out or find any organic changes.  Maybe time for another Dr?

Here's a link that I pulled up real quick. It lists a lot of things that can cause a mental status change that are not necessarily psychiatric in nature.   http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001401.htm

NHLA

They may not have checked for Lymes because she is female. Some doctors don't think women go in the woods.

It happened to a friend. She had serious symtoms before they finally figured it out.

some call me Tim

Just checking back in - my brother knows a woman who did get paranoid and anxious, but she also went temporarily blind until they figured out that it was Lyme and treated her... that's enough to mess with your head. Whatever it is, I hope she finds someone who takes her seriously. Like daydreamer said, it kind of sounds like she got the brush off.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thinking about it, a cousin of my mom suddenly had anxiety and acted "strange", and later, she even heard voices. Sounds like a psychiatric disease? Eventually, she was diagnosed with a thyroid disease, and once this was being treated, all the strange behaviors and voices disappeared.

So if I was your SIL, I'd see another doctor for a more thorough evaluation. Women in their 40's are often not taken seriously, and their symptoms, as soon as they are not cookie-cutter clear and easy to fit together, are put in the "stress-induced" category.

Run for fun.