Trailer Trash

To gator or not to gator (Read 64 times)

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

So I'm a nOOb to trail running; just completed my first 50K ultra this past weekend.  I saw a few of the runners with gators around their ankles to keep stuff from getting in their shoes.  The trail I ran had about a mile in a riverbed with sand and I could have really used them.  I had to stop and dump the sand out of my shoes a few times.

What are the general thoughts on them?

Only use them when the trail dictates (provided you're familiar with the trail beforehand)?

Use them all of the time?

Gators?  Are you talking alligator or crocodile?

You people have issues 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Dirty girl gaiters.  I typically wear them while racing, sometimes during training runs if I know the trail and tend to get a lot of little rocks or sand in my shoes.

Running is dumb.

Uh oh... now what?

Gaiters.

I have never used them.

I think their appeal (need) has increased with the new wider mesh material in the uppers of today's running shoes.

I've never used them either. I also have never felt like I needed them. I have yet to notice anything getting in my shoe. I always wear fairly long socks, don't know if that makes a difference.

mta: Congrats on the 50k!

Pinhoti 100: Finished :D

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I use them all the time but I live in the desert and run in sand , lots of sand . My friend makes them for me , it takes her about 15 minutes to make them . I buy her fabric and the parts this time of year so I can have a bunch to match my shoes and outfits . If you know some who sews the materials cost about $4 per pair depending on what fabric you pick . I go with swimsuit material but you could use anything with some stretch .

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Running is dumb.

I like them in the snow, but seldom use them in other conditions.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I have Dirty Girl Gaiters too, pretty much only use them in races when I don't want to have to stop to get rocks/sand out of my shoes, and longer trail runs.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I have never but I recently purchased a pair of DG gaiters.  Unfortunately they are coming apart and I haven't even used them yet.  So I have to figure out if it's worth it to send them back to the UK to get a replacement.

I never cared too much about stuff in my shoes until I started wearing custom orthotics.  The debris has since caused indents in the heel and toe area of the orthotics.  It won't affect much now but over time this will ruin the orthotic.  This is why I ordered a pair.  But now I am not using because the thread is coming out.

I imagine it depends on the areas you run in whether you use them.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

XtremeTaper

Never done the gaiter thing. I did see some nutcases diving with gators last night on 60 minutes. No wait, those were crocodiles. Sorry.

I've done a few 100's, lots of 50's (sorry grandma, she did not like lots either), many 50k's, etc without gaiters and survived. A friend of mine tried them during his first 100 and I made fun of him. However, I can see how they would be helpful on a sandy/gravelly course. Plus, well you can get them to match your arm panties!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Plus, well you can get them to match your arm panties!

You look so nice, XT!  Big grin

Running is dumb.

XtremeTaper

You look so nice, XT!  Big grin

Haha, Mandy. Good one. I deserved that.

Truth be told I make fun of my friend regardless whether he wears gaiters or not. If I remember right I said "nice ankle panties".

In dog beers, I've only had one.

I've found the grit and snow come in through the toe mesh - the area not covered by gaitors. We have a lot of silty loess that gets into everything. We don't have things like jumping chollas up here.

I've got a couple pairs of gaitors that I've never cared for since they are warm. I haven't tried DG or similar gators.

I have used neoprene overbooties (Crescent Moon or mtn biking) in the winter to keep snow out when it's cold. They cover whole top of shoe. But they'd be warm for summer - and even not-cold winter days.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                            FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Never done the gaiter thing. I did see some nutcases diving with gators last night on 60 minutes. No wait, those were crocodiles. Sorry.

I've done a few 100's, lots of 50's (sorry grandma, she did not like lots either), many 50k's, etc without gaiters and survived. A friend of mine tried them during his first 100 and I made fun of him. However, I can see how they would be helpful on a sandy/gravelly course. Plus, well you can get them to match your arm panties!

I can get the calf panties to complete the ensemble!

You people have issues 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

always wear them (well except when I'm forced to run on the dread mill Smile) - once in a great while I'll forget to put them on and I always get reminded why I wear them

dirty girls, still going strong after 3 years and 4500 miles

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √