Trailer Trash

Better late than never....? Pikes Peak RR (Read 41 times)

Low_O2

Finally got around to writing up my Pikes Peak Ascent race report. I love the excitement that surrounds the Pikes Peak Ascent and marathon. With ~1700 runners in the ascent along with all the spectators in Manitou Springs at the start and up on the summit at the finish, it really is a cool race. Nothing like trying to "run" at 14,000ft. My legs felt mostly good, but I just didn't feel all that energetic. Ended up beating my time from last year by about 3 minutes, so even though I was hoping to do better it was a fun day. I finished in 3:01, which was good enough for 47th overall and tied for 8th in my age group.

I have all the details and some pics on my blog if you're interested. http://pursuitoftrailslesstraveled.blogspot.com/2013/08/pikes-peak-ascent.html

Snowdenrun

I grew up in Colorado Springs and Pikes Peak holds a special place in my heart so I really enjoyed reading this. How awesome that your parents drove so far and slept in the car to watch you two run! Great finish time! Even if it was a bit disappointing being so close to a sub 3, it'll just bring you back next year. Big grin

Low_O2

I grew up in Colorado Springs and Pikes Peak holds a special place in my heart so I really enjoyed reading this. How awesome that your parents drove so far and slept in the car to watch you two run! Great finish time! Even if it was a bit disappointing being so close to a sub 3, it'll just bring you back next year. Big grin

Thanks for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed it! CO Springs is an awesome town with Pikes peak always there to catch your eyes. I was thinking this would be my last year(for a while) running the Ascent as there are other races I would like to do around this time of year. But yes, now I'm thinking I may have to go back to beat that 3 hr mark...

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job, Low_O2.  Was there any bet with your brother?

I love seeing the pictures from year to year.  I was there for one beautiful PPM day and one rainy day with maybe 100' visibility.  The poor day was total disappointment because we never knew where we were, especially above treeline.

I've heard the horror stories from Wave #2 about hitting tail end of Wave #1, so glad you were up front this time.  I don't think a flat 1/2 marathon is any indication how you will do on PPA.

Your parents rock!  I'm sure it was a great weekend with them around.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Low_O2

Nice job, Low_O2.  Was there any bet with your brother?

Haha, nope. I knew better than to bet against my bro on his home mountain! I figured he would beat me after struggling to keep up with him on the climbs at Speedgoat. We are about even I think on race wins, which is pretty amazing considering we never train together.

I agree on the 1/2 marathon qualifying. I know there are a lot of people who could easily beat me in a road 1/2 marathon, but wouldn't stand a chance on the mountain. I guess they need some sort of standard though so it works alright in the end...

mecrowe

Computer Geek

Good run, Low-O2!  Thanks for sharing the race with us!

Watoni

Great job!

You could run 100 if you wanted to ....

Snowdenrun

Thanks for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed it! CO Springs is an awesome town with Pikes peak always there to catch your eyes. I was thinking this would be my last year(for a while) running the Ascent as there are other races I would like to do around this time of year. But yes, now I'm thinking I may have to go back to beat that 3 hr mark...

... Now you've got me thinking about running it. Smile

Will run for scenery.

Better late (writing) and early (summiting) !

Very nice race - three hours is damn impressive, even give or take a minute.  And you at least paused for a few nice pics.

I ran the Marathon this year, at a much more modest pace (summited in 4:31, finished in 7:06).  I posted a RR in the Beginners and Beyond UG if anybody's interested.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Sandy-2

Awesome.  Wow that sub-3 carrot is just dangling there waiting for next year.

Great that your parents were there to surprise you guys.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Low_O2

Watoni - Thanks! I think I am running out of excuses for not jumping into a 100 miler, I just need to decide if I really want to suffer that long... Smile

Snowdenrun - Sounds like a great excuse to visit "home" to me!

jjs22 - I was wondering if we were going to get a race report from you, I'll have to make my way over there and read it. Nice job on the marathon finish!

Sandy-2 - Yes, it's just a number but I think it will bother me if I don't go back and try again for sub 3!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations on a speedy ascent, and on shaving off some minutes from your last year's time!

The trail looks so tempting, I really want to run it one day. However, in the picture shortly before the finish, the rocks are clearly visible - seems quite difficult to keep up a good pace without tripping for a long time.

Great that your parents could come, too, and make it a true family event. Perhaps they'll see you next year breaking the 3!

Run for fun.