Trailer Trash

The Early Saturdaily (Read 33 times)

moonlightrunner

No matter what...I wake up at 0500. It is kind of boring....so I guess I'll start us off.

I ran 17 miles yesterday on a hilly, technical (for these parts) trail! Never thought I would ever be able to say that. I was dead at the end...and my overall pace was 2 min per mile slower than when I did 13.5 on the trail a few weeks ago. I think I need to get back to interspersing shorter and faster runs between my long and medium runs to get some speed back.

Not sure what I will run today. I should aim for 7...but will likely settle for 3.

qotd: I know this has been asked before... but now I am in the market. What hydration pack do you use for long runs/hikes and what do you like to carry with you. And ladies...do you prefer the fit of women specific packs?

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Occasional Runner

I'm running the Moab Trail Marathon this morning. It'll be a slow recovery/fun run. The trails our here are great and the weather is perfect for running today.

QOTD: I'm still using the new Osprey Rev 1.5 and the Rev 6. I love these packs and I think they're going to be a big hit. They'll be available to the public late in the spring. Keep an eye out for them.

The pooch and I had a great 7 mile trail run. It was a beautiful Fall morning.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

sugnim

It's been about a week and a half since I've gone out for a run.  My goal is 10 miles on the trails today.  I'm feeling flabby.

QOTD:  I take a 24 oz. Nathan handheld water bottle.

Sandy-2

After spending all day in planes yesterday, followed by 10 hours of sleep, I got up abut 5:30 this morning ready to run.  Funny thing is I got down stairs and there in the middle of the kitchen was a saddle drapped over a chair with two fans pointing at it and some shoes balanced in front of the fan outlet of the refrigerator.  Trying to dry the stuff out from a few rainy days I guess.  There was also my handheld holder and some stuff (gels, glide, etc.) out and ready for my run.  My DW's swimming stuff was also piled up on the top of the dryer in the laundry room.

Gotta love waking up in an "endurance" house.

Weather was nice and cool this morning and I ended up doing 15 pretty good miles.

qotd: I have a Nathan 2 liter HPL pack.  I only use it when on long unsupported runs, e.g. last weekend I used it on my 50k trek and never refilled it the whole time, but it was totally empty when I took the last few sips after completing my run.  During supported or shorter runs I prefer handhelds (see my little photo on left).

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I had one of my worst runs yesterday, due to the food poisoning which is still lingering. I thought I'd just run it off, but 2 miles into my steep mountain trail, I found myself tossing the cookies on the side in the wild. So I decided to call it a day and walked down the steep hill again.

I met 4 mountain bikers who were pushing their bikes up the hill, which I thought was very brave. They cringed when I told them that the steeper part of the trail (actually, most of it) was still to come. But they went on - I am not sure what became of them.

Drove DD to a Halloween party later, and "enjoyed" a nice 25-mile detour the GPS sent me onto. Did I mention that I have a tendency to get lost driving even with the GPS on? Well, it's that demented GPS's fault, because I know it's going to trick me into some insanely long detour when I actually know the shortcut, and in that competition between GPS and me, I then tend to loose. Never try to outsmart a dumb computer, eh.

QOTD: I have a Nathan 2 liter women's pack, and I use it for long runs (20+ miles). I just wish it had more storage space. I like the specific women's fit, but I've never run with a men's pack.
              On shorter runs, or in races, I now prefer carrying 2 handhelds (like Sandy).

Run for fun.

Birdwell

Morning folks!

FYTC-You have my sympathy!

(Now I am going to rant a bit)

This has turned into an unscheduled rest week for me. We had a wind storm Monday that knocked over trees, power lines and fencing at our house. I had to set a new electrical service at our house (did all the work myself).  Tuesday while I was putting fence back up, I stepped on a three inch long nail. Wednesday I had to get a tetanus shot.  I hate shots. Thursday was my last day at my old job and I spent the whole day cleaning out my work van and clearing up paperwork. Friday I started my new job at the local university. I 've spent 3-4 hours each day after work cutting up trees in the backyard.

My foot hurts, I'm limping around. My arm hurts where I got the shot. I haven't run in weeks. My kids are making fun of me because I was a wuss about the shot. I'm ready for next week.

QOTD: UltraSpire Omega. I love the pack, the people that run the company are awesome. It works really well for me. I am going to look at that Osprey 1.5 that lace has been using, because I've been looking to get a smaller pack than the omega.

Watoni

I finally got out for short run yesterday evening (4.5 miles), but am at work again (and tired). I am going to try for a run later in the afternoon, maybe 10?

QOTD: Salomon S-Lab 5 (12 for longer runs where I am unsupported and need to carry more stuff).

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Wanted to get out for 4 hours this morning, didn't get out until 5am which meant I could not go longer than 3 hours, ended up cutting it at 2+ hours due to GI issues.  Not good.  Supposed to run 50 miles in two weeks.  We'll see...

QOTD: Nathan. I hate the bladder though.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

had a really good long run this morning, 19 miles w/ 5900' of elevation- I'm good and sore Big grin

qotd: I've got too many packs by my own admission- but for races (w/ aid stations) I find the Ultimate Direction AK pack the best solution, short runs- a handheld; long unsupported- runs the Mountain Hardwear Fluid 6

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Chnaiur

SRD. Wine by the bay with friends and a well needed day off.

I use the ultimate direction Scott Jurek vest. I love the weight and the way it sits on me. However, the side pockets are WAY too far back, so it is very had to reach food while running. Because of that, I'm looking for a new vest.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

runfastandie

QOTD:  I use the woman's nathan 70 oz vest with a camelback insert.  I really like it because it doesn't bounce around and I can fit a lot of things in there if need be.

Way to go on the 17 miles! That is awesome!

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Just got in from a late interval run just as the sun set.  5 x .5 mile @ ~6:15 pace with 2 min recoveries.  It was a rough day at work and I felt like running it out.  Decided spur of the moment to do an interval set and looked to see what was in my watch from the last time I ran intervals (I think february).  Hit the first three well and faded a bit on the last two but I can't complain considering I made this workout when I was living at 5k less feet than I'm at now.

QOTD:  Some Nathan womens pack that I got for my wife.  She rarely uses it and I only use it on 3+ hour outings.  It works but I dislike it.

NorthernHarrier

Headed over to the Kettle Moraine this morn/aft for almost 4 hours. Damp trail with enough leaves down hiding the rocks to make it interesting. Still in southern Wi. most of the leaves are still attached and looking very pretty. It was a nice run though I just never seemed to really get going well. Either too much candy or beer the last few days, or both. But I got done what I planned so it was nice.

Moonlight--nice going on a new distance best. Just an FYI--the last half of Tecumseh is relentless hills. Be prepared.

QOTD--Like Warden I have too many hydration setups. I do like my Nathan in general but I have a Camelbak that holds a lot more if I need it. My problem with some of these kind of packs is the fit. I think some are designed for skinny Kenyans and I have a 45" chest. Angry Not good.