Trailer Trash

RATS Trailrunning Festival (Read 70 times)

Hello!

Has anyone participated in the RATS (Race Across The Sand) trail running festival before? Located in Fruita, Colorado. Interested in hearing any goods/bads/general advice. This will be my first trail race over a half marathon distance (doing the 25 mile) so just curious what I may have gotten myself into. Smile I'm mainly a mountain climber/hiker who has taken on trail running due to a newborn at home, so this will be a new experience for me. (Covering the distance-elevation won't be, but doing it fast will!)

Race website

http://geminiadventures.com/new/?page_id=125

--D

Deltarose

Derek - I ran the 25 miler [now the RDs are saying it was really a trail marathon] last year and am in for the 50 this year....I did the now-defunct 10 miler a few years back, too....

My 2 cents: it can be HOT in the desert sun in the second half of the race, even in the springtime. If it is a sunny day, be prepared for hot, dry shadeless conditions. Carry water!
      Don't under-estimate the late race climb up Mack Ridge!  There's an Aid Station at the base of the climb and I think people over-eat or over drink, or maybe it was hot and late in the race, but I passed many people dry-heaving in the scrub brush on this section.

The first few miles of the race are on singletrack and the trails were very congested - conga-line - just be patient and pass when you need to - it opens up a bit once you hit that first Aid Station.

I hope that helps?

If you get addicted, there are a lot of iconic trail races in that neck of the woods:  Imogene Pass, Moab 50K++, Lake City 50, Hardrock.  Grand Mesa 100 also has a 60K option.  Good luck.

Thanks for the info! I hate heat, so that could be tough for me. I ran a trail HM in Florida a few weeks ago and had a tough time with the temps. My normal training route over the past few months has given me about 2K elevation per 7 mile loop, which looks a bit steeper than the race course, so hopefully the bigger hills I'll be prepared for. I guess if things go south, I can just go back to my mountain climbing roots and power hike the rest of the course. Smile (Hopefully it won't come to that.) Thanks again. --D
          FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Not intended to hijack the thread, but...

Delta...  Delta?    Delta!!!    You're back! I've been missing you, long time no see!

Run for fun.

Deltarose

Derek - I'll take hot, dry desert weather over humid FLA weather to run in any day! I think one 25/26 mile loop has 3500 ft gain? - most in 2 big climbs with some smaller gains in there for fun. The course is really quite runnable; just save something for that long last climb up the ridge, it is a tough climb coming late in the race during the hottest part of the day.
              There's nothing wrong with hiking the climbs - that's my background, too and I think of it as a power-saving mode.

Hi FTYC ! *waving from cyber land*   Smile

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Not intended to hijack the thread, but...

Delta...  Delta?    Delta!!!    You're back! I've been missing you, long time no see!

+1

HI DELTA!  Big grin

Running is dumb.

Uh oh... now what?

+some more wavy things...  Hi Deltapersonwehavenotseenforalongwhile Cool.

Deltarose

Ummm....Derek - I don't know if you are local or not - but the trails for the Rats course are currently under a few inches of fresh snow...We are supposed to get some sun on Thu/Fri - but it may not be enough to dry things out: Be prepared for mud. Tongue

Hi JohnM *waving vigorously back at ya*

Deltarose

Ok - Derek - I just want to point out that it was neither hot and sunny or muddy so I totally missed it on the weather predictions. Wink

How did it go?

Ok - Derek - I just want to point out that it was neither hot and sunny or muddy so I totally missed it on the weather predictions. Wink

How did it go?

Awful!  Well, sorta awful. Weather was fantastic, wasn't it? Those couple tiny rain spits really felt nice.

I've discovered I need to revisit my fueling practices. I was cruising fine miles 1-12ish, then a slight hammy cramp. Took some extra slow down time around the mile 13 aid station. Felt just fine again until mile 18, hammy came back even worse. I could bend fine, extending hurt pretty bad. Was a bit upset, my stamina/endurance was fantastic, was well ahead of my goal time, but decided to end it at the mile 19-20 aid station. Undecided

So I guess I learned that my legs aren't at the same level as my cardio, and I really need to take in more calories. Live and learn I guess. Still had a very enjoyable time!

--D