Trailer Trash

Headlamps and 50 miles (Read 75 times)

runfastandie

Hi :-)

I have exactly 364 days to work up to r2r2r.   Curious if anyone has some type of resource for a training plan. I've done Quad Dipsea, R2R and a 50K.   I'd love to know what you did get ready?  I do know that there are some 3AM runs coming my way. I'm hoping I can get some poor souls to join me.

Has there been any progress in the headlamp category?  I did notice PEZL had a self adjusting light version but it had the full head strap and I prefer wearing one around my waist.  Thoughts?  I really would like to spend a lot of money exactly once. Perhaps I'm dreaming.  The only real reviews I can find are from blogs where it is obvious the writer has been given the item which completely invalidates the review for me.

Happy Running everyone!!!

Andie

Andie, I'm going to train like I would for a typical 50 mile race, but with an emphasis on hill repeats.  And I intend to do a lot of stairmaster workouts on my cross training days.  If memory serves, I think in your race report from your single crossing, I believe you were ready to turn around and go back when you got done.  One of the benefits that you have is that you've alredy done half of it, so you've got some great experience to fall back on.

For headlamps, I bought the Black Diamond Spot.  It's 100 lumens.  Love that light.  But it's definitely a head lamp.  I was thinking of trying out a pair of Knuckle lights to see how they worked, could attach them to the front of your pack shoulder harness perhaps.  There are also waistband clips that you can attach an LED flashlight too, that can be rotated 360 degrees.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

runfastandie

Thanks! Is there a particular 50 mile training plan people generally follow? I have a few running books but they are mostly for the traditional marathon.

And yes- I felt great after r2r.  I was very well trained for that distance.  I actually worked a lot on downhill speed work to build the quads.

I did see those knuckles lights. I wasn't sure if it would change my arm stride though, trying to point down at the ground?  I'd be interested in knowing what you thought.

Andie

I believe GoMotion has a couple of products.  One is a sternum light and the other is a waist light.  They both attach to an existing pack, and are 100 lumens.  Although I haven't tried these personally.  For the Knuckle lights, they have a pretty wide beam.  I have run with a pair once.  Each light is 45 lumens.  Seems like they cast a much wider area of light than the headlamp alone, which defnitely has a pretty narrow beam.

As far as 50 mile training plans, Bryon Powell's book, Relentless Forward Progress has several training plans in it.  It's a book geared toward Ultrarunning.  Pretty good book with a lot of good info in it.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I think Petzl has lights that can be mounted on different adapters and clips to attach them to almost anything (waist, backpack, head). You might look into this.

I use a Princeton Tech Vizz headlamp, and a small bike light as a handheld lamp. The combination works great. Only downside to the headlamp (165 lumens) is that on the high setting, it needs new batteries every 2-3 hours. But I can imagine that in the Canyon, you'd use some lower setting, at least on some stretches.

If I hold the second lamp in my hand, it does alter my arm motion, but that doesn't have any ill effects on my running. Maybe I've gotten used to it by now, but I never thought it to be especially annoying, exhausting, or distracting (and I'm one to quickly complain about such things, it took me months to get used to running with a handheld water bottle!).

Definitely carry enough batteries, also for the spare lights, and at least three lights with you.

If I were you, with the previous experience, I'd copy the training that you did for the R2R, and add a few B2B's to build endurance. Work on the nutrition strategy for very long duration of the run. Get used to night running, and how to handle the gear in the dark. Figure out how to minimize what you'll carry along, without sacrificing too many safety features.

Run for fun.

Andie, I don't remember how long it took you for the single crossing, do you have a goal for the double?

This is one of the 50 mile training plans from Bryon's book that peaks at 70 mpw.

Week

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun Total

1 -- 7 5 7 -- 12 6 37
                2 -- 7 5 7 -- 14 6 39
                3 -- 8 5 8 -- 16 6 43
                4 -- 7 5 7 -- 14 5 38
                5 -- 8 6 8 -- 18 8 48
                6 -- 8 6 8 -- 18 8 48
                7 -- 10 6 8 -- 20 8 52
                8 -- 8 5 7 -- 14 6 40
                9 -- 10 6 8 -- 20 10 54
                10 -- 12 6 10 -- 16 14 58
                11 -- 14 6 8 -- 24 10 62
                12 -- 10 6 8 -- 16 10 50
                13 -- 14 6 10 -- 24 12 66
                14 -- 14 6 10 -- 20 18 68
                15 -- 12 6 10 -- 16 10 54
                16 -- 12 6 10 -- 24 12 64
                17 -- 12 6 10 -- 22 18 68
                18 -- 10 6 12 -- 16 10 54
                19 -- 10 8 4 -- 31 -- 53
                20 -- 6 8 10 -- 16 12 52
                21 -- 14 8 10 -- 25 12 69
                22 -- 10 6 10 -- 20 5 52
                23 -- 8 5 8 -- 10 5 36
                24 5 -- 4 -- 2 50 0 61

Birdwell

Andie, for my attempt I had two headlamps. I used Princeton Tec lamps (one was a Fuel, the other a Remix)

I used one on my head. The other I took off the strap and found that the light fit perfectly on the waiststrap to my pack (a GoLite Rush)

I like using two as I struggle with depth perceptions issues at night with my glasses.

I've used that technique on numerous occasions. My latest headlamp is a Black Diamond Revolt (built in charger on the light, and the option to use standard AAA batteries, dimmable manually, $50-60) I can take it off the head strap and it fits the chest strap on my Ultraspire pack.

There are a few other people using the same light in the forum and It's gotten mostly postive reviews

As far as the training, I'll pass on advice until I successfully complete the R2R2R myself, with one exception, run a lot, then run a little more.

runfastandie

Oct 11, 2014 7:03 AM 6:22 PM 11h 19m 04s − 2m 37s 12:43 PM 42.1° 92.795

Date------------sunrise-------sunset----total daylight hours---??---lunar noon

If we start at 3am then 4 hours at the start and up to 4 hours at the end of needed lamp time. It is 3 days off from a full moon so I'm hoping that helps too.

North to south it took 7:30- that included about an hour at Phantom- about 30 waiting for a friend to catch up and 30 to eat. Not my choice- she had rolled her ankle and was definitely hurting.  I think a proper goal time will be set closer to the time. My "max" time is 18 hours but realistically I'd like to be within 14-15 hour range.   I did a ton of elevation training- in hindsight I wish I had kept track of what I did. I do like the idea of back to back runs.   It will be a fun adventurous year!  Hoping for some Half Dome permits and many other back country adventures!

fimmx

From the many blogs I've been reading about r2r2r, people seem to have been able to even hike the whole thing in about 18-20 hrs. Van and Andie, I know you are strong runners, but in your research, does 16-20 hrs for a strong hike sound about right? I too expect dark at the start and at the end. I'm experimenting with hiking poles so I'll have to find a good headlamp or waist lamp. So much experimenting to do.

Andie, if you don't mind a slowpoke tagging along with you, I'd be game for some night runs with you next year. We live in the same neck of the woods. I'm off to rancho in an hour or so for a quarry trail hike.

runfastandie

fimmx- While we were running we asked people and they said hiking was 12 hours.  Are you sure going to hike the whole thing? There is a nice stretch in the middle that is easily runable- this would greatly increase your time.  I run at Rancho 6AM twice a week with a whole bunch of ladies.   I live on the Los Gatos Creek trails so my weekend runs are usually down here.  I am not a fast runner at all actually.  I'm just kind of like a slow mountain goat.  Come closer I'll be doing a quad dipsea in the summer for a major training run.  Shadow of the giants 50K is on my list as well as some 8-10 hour Yosemite back country runs.  It will be an EPIC summer!!!

Couch- I'm definitely trying to figure out the light pack, and exactly where I will fill up.

Thanks everyone- do you go to REI or is there a better place to shop for headlamps?

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I'd second the Revolt, I've got several lamps and that's the one I'd recommend- get two, one for your head, one for your waist or chest

Lots of hill work, both down and up.  I'd recommend taking it a little easy on the way down the first leg, you'll be feeling very strong and fresh and the temptation to go fast will be strong- resist this temptation Big grin

No matter how well you prepare physically, be mentally ready for a sufferfest the last leg, there is no way around it- just embrace it!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Watoni

Andie --

For a headlamp, I recommend the Petzl Nao (reactive lighting). It has a belt kit for the battery that is around $30.

I used the Nao at Leadville and probably could have done all my night running on one battery. I brought three batteries and a small flashlight in case I needed to change them in the dark. When I was at 2/3 battery I just swapped in a fully charged one and that was 2/3 charged when I finished.

Since you are local, you could borrow it and test it out if you want (I do not have the belt kit, though), or you could borrow the extra batteries for the run itself, which are not cheap. We could run really early in Wunderlich one morning, and I could use a flashlight and you could try the headlamp. Also, you then would not have to worry about which trail to take, which can be confusing in the dark. Finally, it would be great training Wink There are several variants of a 4-5 mile, 2000+ foot climb to the top of Skyline and back down.

runfastandie

Black Friday. There is one down the street for $105 but there will be no returns. Tempting with your battery offer.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Black Diamond has some nice headlamps - can be fastened/clipped/attached to pack or waist with some creativity.  I have the Black Diamond Storm ($50) and it will last 8+ hours on high and then supposed to last 16-20 hours after that while still having a bright beam.  Takes 4 AAA batteries.  If using as a headlamp, you would need some sort of headband to buffer and it is a tad heavy.  Great for a couple hours but after that, it starts to get uncomfortable.  Very nice beam though!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday