Trailer Trash

Rothrock RR (Read 38 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Was it this run:  http://www.rothrockchallenge.com/159512.html

30k? sorry for my slowness, was trying to figure out the distance and did not see it shown.

What kind of rattlesnake is that supposed to be?

That's the one! It's a 30k, but a very challenging one.

The rattlesnake is a timber rattlesnake, one of the least aggressive rattlers. They are plenty in the Rothrock State Forest, but - according to experts like biologists and medical staff - rattlesnake bites are very rare in the area.

Run for fun.

Uh oh... now what?

Thank you.  Sent me off for some reading, had not seen such a solid-colored rattler before.

The six-hour/30k time and the pictures make me think of our 4:06/15-mile

loop at Devils Den State Park in Arkansas.  You just beat yourself to pieces

trying to get any forward progress at all.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Timber rattlesnakes are often black (or very dark) on top, but the one I saw a week ago was light brown with a diamond pattern. Beautiful animals. I once saw one that must have shed its skin recently, it was iridescent light brown with the pattern.

On most Rothrock trails, my pace is 13-15 min/mile!

Run for fun.

Brian Runner

Congrats.

I didn't run Rothrock, but I had several friends who drove down for the event. The fastest finished in 7th place, another staggered into an aid station and got pulled from the race. Another had a good tale to tell about a Rattle Snake in the trail, and getting dropped by Ashley Moyer.

Daydreamer1

Was it this run:  http://www.rothrockchallenge.com/159512.html

30k? sorry for my slowness, was trying to figure out the distance and did not see it shown.

What kind of rattlesnake is that supposed to be?

I pounded out my RR rather quickly and realized that I left out a few details, like the distance and my time. This year it was 6:18:10, last year it was 4:39, so there was a big difference.

As to the snake, I think it is actually a regular black snake. This runner and a few others here  in the area go looking for the snakes. This is another picture that he had posted and I'm assuming it's the same snake. Since I don't see any fangs I'm going to guess that it's not poisonous. We have quite a few snakes here in Pa that look a lot alike. It's common to confuse a milk snake or king snake for a copperhead for example, especially for those of us who don't like and study snakes. A black rattlesnake is very common. Every year you will hear stories about how the black snakes and rattlers are interbreeding. Not true, it's just a normal variation of our rattler. My rule of thumb is to give all snakes a wide berth and not play with them. I don't let the thought of them bother me, but I do stay alert for them when running.  I remember this guy mentioning that he and another runner have taken several courses on snakes and handling them, so this is not as foolhardy as it may appear.

This is a  picture of two black phase rattlesnakes that was taken on the boulder field on the Bald Eagle Megatransect course. We do grow them fairly big here in PA. Again this is a case of these guys going looking for the snakes.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thanks for the clarification, Craig!

I assumed the guy handling the snake was experienced and educated in that area, or at least hoped he was. I have come across black rattlers, dark rattlers with a hardly visible diamond pattern, medium brown rattlers with the pattern, and even very light brown rattlers with the pattern.

So it is not always easy to tell right away which snake it is the moment you see one. I am not afraid of snakes, but like DD1, I am aware of their presence and respect their territory.

Still, it always gives a good scare when I accidentally step right in front of their head, within striking range, although the timber rattlers usually rather retreat than strike.

Run for fun.

Uh oh... now what?

This is sort of like running with strangers--oddities of your trails versus mine.  We

have no poisonous snakes on the west side of the Cascades.  It is something we

have to remember when we go to the dry side--fewer roots, more pointy rocks,

and, oh by the way, there are poisonous snakes here.

Thank you for the information and the pictures -- rocks are a lot different too.  We

had that collection of pictures (in the old world) of rocks from all over the U.S.  That

is some rugged stuff to call home.

Daydreamer1

This is sort of like running with strangers--oddities of your trails versus mine.  We

have no poisonous snakes on the west side of the Cascades.  It is something we

have to remember when we go to the dry side--fewer roots, more pointy rocks,

and, oh by the way, there are poisonous snakes here.

Thank you for the information and the pictures -- rocks are a lot different too.  We

had that collection of pictures (in the old world) of rocks from all over the U.S.  That

is some rugged stuff to call home.

I didn't realize that there are no poisonous snakes west of the Cascades. Another reason for us to consider a move to that side of the world. Back in April  of '91 DW and I honeymooned out there along the coast. I'd like to return someday.

Uh oh... now what?

I didn't realize that there are no poisonous snakes west of the Cascades. Another reason for us to consider a move to that side of the world. Back in April  of '91 DW and I honeymooned out there along the coast. I'd like to return someday.

I should put a qualifier on that.  There might be down in southern Oregon.  The wet

side of the Cascades moves westerly as you go south.  Grants Pass to Medford is

a big change--there could well be a sort of southern boundary--we generally say

north of the Siskiyous, but it could be a fit farther north.

I am certain of the no poisonous snakes on the wet side here in Washington.