Trailer Trash

How Cold is Too Cold for You? (Read 46 times)

Latent Runner

If it is hot, you can get through it by slowing down, pausing even, and then continuing.  You might not be running, but you can usually keep going.

If it is cold, if you stop or slow down considerably, you just might be dead.  I am more concerned with cold than with heat.

Hmmm, I'm thinking no deader than heat stroke.  I'll take the cold over the heat any day.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    Birdwell

I don't know in degrees, but I know it when I feel it.

I know when I stop feeling it.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol....... I think I prefer running in the cold than heat. I warm up crazy easy, not too mention I can layer enough to keep decently warm while during extreme heat and humidity that makes 95 feel like 105 I can only take off so much before indecent exposure or someone calls the police saying a naked wild woman is running through the woods with a black dog........ and I would still be burning up,  I am hot headed....... literally. I'll take 10- degrees any day of the year over 85+ degrees.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Uh oh... now what?

There is a thing with perspective--our relative sense of heat or cold.

I have never ran Badwater, but I have ran in Death Valley several times -- 118ºF maximum.

I have never ran Arrowhead 135, but we kept going out in the Turtle Mountains of North Dakota as winter set in until that -33ºF day.

Now I live where we seldom encounter frost (had some this morning) and seldom see the temperature above 70ºF in the summer.

The AR50 did me in--I went there with 6:30 on my mind until the temperatures got above 80º, stuff I seldom saw at home, bagged the hard run and just finished without a death march.

The Badger Mountain Bean Runs 100k started at midnight, 21ºF and two runners were in shorts (neither was me).

Ice has always stopped us before temperatures.

Latent Runner

I'll take 10- degrees any day of the year over 85+ degrees.

+1 (and then some)  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

DH and I argue about it a lot lol, he HATES the cold while I HATE the heat.

+1 (and then some)  Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I prefer cold to heat.  But I prefer sunny cold in the middle of the day to night-time cold or, worse, wet rainy cold.  (Snowy cold is okay!)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Besides the wind and cold, dampness really penetrates and keeps me from running when the temps drop into the teens. I'm the 1 vote so far for 15 degrees. I've replaced my jacket, pants, gloves and ear warmers this year so hopefully new and better cold weather gear will help.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

SillyC

If it is hot, you can get through it by slowing down, pausing even, and then continuing.  You might not be running, but you can usually keep going.

If it is cold, if you stop or slow down considerably, you just might be dead.  I am more concerned with cold than with heat.

That's a really good point, John.  I typically carry enough clothing when I'm out so that if I did have to stop, I'd be warm enough.  But it only works if I'm diligent about stripping layers when I start to get sweaty.

Also  frozen water gets really annoying.

Latent Runner

I prefer cold to heat.  But I prefer sunny cold in the middle of the day to night-time cold or, worse, wet rainy cold.  (Snowy cold is okay!)

Kind of funny you mention that.  I went out for a night time trail run earlier this week; it was in the mid 40s, relatively warm in these parts this time of year, and so I headed out in shorts and a tee-shirt (and a headlight).  At the four mile mark it rained for maybe a minute or two and I almost turned around when it just as quickly stopped.  All was well as I turned around at the 5-mile mark, however, as I walked out of a culvert under a highway it started sleeting.  Yeah, that was uncomfortably cool, and the granules of sleet stung my face, head (I'm old and follicly challenged), and arms; I picked the pace up and ran the final 4.5 miles in maybe 35 minutes (which for nighttime trail running is pretty quick).

Lesson learned; when "dropping temperatures and rain or sleet later this evening" is reported on the weather, bring a hat and slicker along, even if I don't need it at the start.  Smile

Fat old man PRs: