Trailer Trash

Wet Wednesday (Read 31 times)

LB2

Five with the dog after work. The woods are saturated with water here. We have had insane amounts of rain over the past few days.

QOTD: Assuming you have seen the article a week or so ago entitled "Running High", what do you think about the idea that marijuana may help long distance runners?

I read the article, skimmed it. I think smoking pot is harmful to one's lungs. The tar, alone, is terrible on lung function. So, I don't think it is beneficial.

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

No run yesterday...some time on the bike.  Even if it was a run day I would not have been able to due to everything covered in ice.  Thankfully the temps are high enough today that it is just rain.  Will try and sneak in a short run tonight before the rain changes to something else ...again.  On the bright side, looks like higher temps for next week for us in the northeast!?!

QOTD: I did not read that article.  Not sure I even want to know why people think marijuana could help distance runners.  For years I was against the idea of medical marijuana (I know that is not what the article is probably talking about) but recently have other feelings.  I am not necessarily for it yet but there are bigger issues with substances than pot.  Prescription drug abuse has been bad for 10-15 years (recently decreasing because the price is high for prescrip pain pills vs. heroin).  But there is a bigger epidemic with designer drugs (i.e. synthetic marijuana, K2 and similar).  The gov't cannot keep up with the way that synthetic drugs are evolving.  Sorry for the aside...that's the former D & A counselor in me.  So no I haven't read the article.  But I did read the one on RW's website about ways to make yourself poop pre-race - very intriguing!

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Going to do 5 easy miles over lunch before snowpocolypse 10 hits the area.  8-10" tonight and tomorrow.  This is making it hard to finding a place to do a long run on Sunday.

QOTD:  Haha, I guess I'm like Jamie, I read the poop story but not the pot story too.

I'll have to read it and get back to you.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers!  Going to try and get 6 miles this evening in the hills.

Was successful on Sunday getting to Casey Peak on snowshoes, this was try #4- try #1 got weathered out, try #2&#3 ran out of daylight, this time I got it.  Try #3 I got within 3/4 of mile, when I went past this point I quickly got into waist deep powder (this is w/ snowshoes!), I could feeling it just sucking the energy out of me, on top of this I lost the trail.  Once I made it to the ridge proper, the snow was quite a bit firmer and I knew I was going to make it.

qotd: I read the article.  I agree w/ LB, can't see how smoking something w/ that much tar (and other good stuff) would be very good for your lungs???  Now if someone came up w/ a proper filter 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

XtremeTaper

No run yesterday. Maybe a run today but not that likely. At the tail end of this cold/man flu and with the craptacular weather another day off may not be a bad thing. We had ice/sleet last night and now some light rain so it's a slushy icy mess outside. Some sort of snow event tonight into tomorrow. Hopefully it is the last one. I have a feeling the trails are a mess right now after being pretty good most of the winter.

QOTD: Good news if you are a pot smoker but no reason to start. Pot can also be vaporized or ingested so not to have the harmful effects on the lungs, but really, if you are going to hit some weed there is nothing like the sound of a bubbling bong.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Well I should be heading out soon before the crowds start clogging up the Malecon but I have a gut ache.  I may go look up the RW article Jaime was referring to so I can get going literally.    Then iI will run the normal 5.

QOTD:  i think pot can help the long distance runnner when they are experiencing stomache problems.  Puking usually results in people dropping out so smoking a fatty just might do it.  Also the benefits of the pain relieving effects.   To me using pot is no different then popping a bunch of pills to relieve discomfort.  I am so on the same page as Jaime. Prescription drug abuse is so high.  Too many people pop a pill when they have a problem so I don't get why the same people think marijuana is so bad.  Lastly, as the story states there are so many ways to use marjiuania that do nit include smoking it.  Ok well off to tske a laxative! 

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Queen of Nothing

Sue

LOL

if you are going to hit some weed there is nothing like the sound of a bubbling bong.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

NorthernHarrier

An early run around the hood this morning. Even with yesterday off the legs still felt heavy. Have a harder pace/tempo run planned for tomorrow so I hope the legs regain a little zip.

Finally got the new canoe ordered yesterday after working a sweet deal with a small dealer from north central Wi.   Been in the works for a while but had to slowly convince DW that a 7th canoe was a necessity.   A Wenonah Voyager solo boat.

QOTD--Never read either article. Only running stuff I ever read is this site. So if someone were to post links....

AT-runner

Tim

Ok, read the "article".

Some quotes.

“If you can find the right level, [marijuana] takes the stress out of running,” says Avery Collins, a 22-year-old professional ultramarathoner. “And it’s a postrace, post-run remedy.”

- If it's stressful, then why do it.  I run and compete to decrease stress.

Ultramarathons last anywhere from 30 to 200 miles, and typically crisscross mountainous terrain and rocky trails. Runners endure stomach cramps and intense pain in their muscles and joints. Competitors often quit after a sudden loss of motivation, matched with the boredom of running for upward of 24 hours straight.

- That's what training is for, right. Overcoming the mental loss of motivation is what makes finishing a race so enjoyable knowing that you pushed past the mind barrier.

“The person who is going to win an ultra is someone who can manage their pain, not puke and stay calm,” said veteran runner Jenn Shelton. “Pot does all three of those things.”

- Manage pain is not the same as cover it up.

I'm not a fan of pain relievers, either prescription or recreational.  Pain is the body's way of telling you to change something because you are creating damage.  If you block that signal, you are setting yourself up for a more serious injury.   As a side note here's a nice quote - "The United States makes up only 4.6 percent of the world's population, but consumes 80 percent of its opioids -- and 99 percent of the world's hydrocodone, the opiate that is in Vicodin."

Do other countries have less pain or do they deal with it better.

muppy

12.2 miles yesterday, was snowing a bit then turned into sleet.

QOTD  I don't see how smoking it can help you run better (even though I believe everything  runners world magazine says) perhaps it helps with GI problems and nausea. On the bright side, with the munchies it would be no problem eating at aide stations!

Today may be my first "missed" day of my schedule for April's race. Scheduled for 8 this morning, but with snow coming down hiding the ice patches and single digits, adding that this may be the last wintery day for the foreseeable forecast...just couldn't get around. I'll try to poke in 5 on the mill during lunch at work, but doubt I'll be getting my full 8. Oh well!

Qotd: haven't read it, but guess I wouldn't be shocked...in the same way that an Aleve pill could "help". With mj being legal in my area (Colorado) I think people are realizing there are less issues with it than previously thought.

Myself, I'll stick to my post climb/race beers. (Plural.)

LB2

The only "joint" I am rolling is an ankle. Tailwind has taken away every nauseating issue I have ever had.

If I experience "pain", I stop; If I experience discomfort, I may slow down.

LB2

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

7 canoes?    LOL.

Nice photos, Mike!

I ran 7.4 super easy miles last night on the road.  Two more days of the bullshit that is winter and then the forecast starts heating up!!!!!!  I need to use about a million exclamation points for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  SPRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Jamie, you did not use nearly enough excitement in your post!)  Taking a SRD today.

QOTD: Never read the article, but yeah, I'm not really sure where pot comes into improving your running.   I do think it should be legal though, and if you want to race with it, more power to you.

Running is dumb.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice photos, Mike!

+1 - looks like awesome time.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Ok so I read the "article".  Is it weird it was in Wall Street Journal??

And I was more interested in the comments than the actual article.

I will stick with the pooping article.  

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (there you go Mandy)

My favorite day of the week is RUNday